The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ramp23

Siedenburg

Did we ever let him get away? I don't remember the details, but as much as we need defense, I'd love to have him back.

Did we ever let him get away? I don't remember the details, but as much as we need defense, I'd love to have him back.

Isn't that the truth. Watching him in the playoffs this year I keep shaking my head and mumbling how did we let him get away.

I think his contract expired and we couldn't agree to a deal. I believe Alberts was supposed to be his replacement but then we trade him at the deadline and now both players are in the finals (sigh).

JR didn't want to pay him his asking price....which would have paid itself off twice by now. :(

I remember that JR let him go because he wanted more money. I don't recall the exact amount but I do remember it wasn't all that much.

For the 2009-10 season he signed a one-year $2.25 million contract with the Florida Panthers. Later that season, he was traded to Boston and he played ok but certainly not great.

It sure was surprising when Boston signed him to a 4 year, $13 million contact after the season was over. Up to that point, I don't think that anyone would have believed he was worth that much money. I guess they must have known something that the rest of us didn't because it sure seems worth it now. There is no way the JR would have ever paid that much money for him.

While we can second guess it now and I do miss him a bit, I don't think anyone would have ever predicted that he would be playing so well.

In my opinion, for some reason, JR doesn't seem to pay as much attention to our defense. I know there is always the search for the ever elusive "puck moving defenseman" but I would be happy with a defensive d-man for a change. I sure miss Hedican and Wesley!

Supposedly we are looking at drafting a defenseman in the years draft, so I guess we'll see how that turns out.

I think I remember that he wanted a 3 year deal and JR didn't want to commit to 3 years. He did have a few injuries here that limited his play but based on what the evolving market for defenseman has looked like since then, he would have been a steal at $2.25 for 3 years.

Though Seidenberg is playing well, he is paired with Chara. I think Pitkanen would look like a TOP defensive defenseman paired with Chara. I mean, when Chara can take up so much, you can get out there and be more physical and take some chances.

Edited by hopper915

Though Seidenberg is playing well, he is paired with Chara. I think Pitkanen would look like a TOP defensive defenseman paired with Chara. I mean, when Chara can take up so much, you can get out there and be more physical and take some chances.

That's a good point. I would agree that anyone paired with Chara would certainly look better. I always thought of Seidenberg as a "steady' dman. Not overly talented but someone who worked hard and didn't make a whole lot of mistakes.

Edited by ncradford

.....I would agree that anyone paired with Chara would certainly look better...

True. Even Aaron Ward. Looked great vs Canes 08-09, we signed him and some imposter showed up in 09-10.

This.

Let's not forget the last defenseman who was paired with Chara. Remember? We traded for him? Aaron Ward.

Something tells me Chara eliminates a lot of mistakes his partner makes.

I don't think there is any doubt the Chara is a good partner and can cover up a world of sins. But Seids was always a big strong Dman. He hit hard and was steady. Comparing Award to Seids IMO is unfair to both. Award was at the end of his career when he came back to the Canes and obviously had trouble fitting back in. Seids still has plenty of good hard hitting hockey left.

Edited by OBXer

In my opinion, for some reason, JR doesn't seem to pay as much attention to our defense.

News flash folks !! It is not just the defense ! Our super, super low budget last year caused us to let

Whitney and Cullen go. Keeping one or the other of them would likely have seen us make the playoffs.

If that same budget is that low again this year, we could lose Jussi. Do we see a pattern here ?

(Failing to pay a solid player a reasonable asking price will keep us in the middle of the pack----

that has nothing to do with the coach.)

Seids is just another example of the status of our "small market" team. The problem is, in this economy,

will enough fans continue to support "average" ?

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Seidenburg is signed through the 2014 season so he really is a mute point. What the real point here is how JR has failed so miserably at putting together a decent defense, if one can remove his or her Stanley Cup blinders long enough to see it.

Post lockout - In 2008-09 we "retool" the defense by bringing back Babchuk and adding Melichar. Then there's the "let's get bigger and tougher" season so we recycle A. Ward and bring in Alberts. Last season we recycle again, bringing back Corvo and Babchuk in an effort to "move the puck" out of our own zone more efficiently.

Now we are "restructuring" the defense, whatever that means. I think I know what it means, because JR is so predictable in his moves, but I'll wait till he makes the obvious before going any further.

To end on a positive note, for the first time I can remember, this organization has some home-grown defensive help that's not too far from being ready. Let's don't screw that up.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yeah coastal, you beat me to bringing up Melichar. That was JR's big response to losing Hedican and Wesley. :rolleyes:

You would think that, as a former goaltender, JR would have more appreciation for defensive talent. It is definitely his major weakness, highly exploitable in today's NHL. To be fair, it is directly related to the budget issue, taking a risk on a big dman could screw the budget up for years if it doesn't pan out (ex. Souray, Redden, Commodore). Signing a decent $4-5 mil dman capable of 1st pairing is harder than going above or below that level.

Anyway...Seids. I was always a fan of his. I remember saying at the end of 09 he probably played himself out of a contract during the playoffs. Huge shot blocker, decent puck mover - remember it was his shot that Jussi tipped in with .2 to go, and Seids had the secondary assist on Scotty's goal. One of the most under-rated aspects of value for a dman is shot blocking, and Seids is one of the best. He was still improving at that point but had every sign of becoming at least a solid 3-4 dman, plus he had good chemistry with Pitkanen (a rare commodity as we have discovered). But JR didn't want to gamble and went with the salary dump to get Ward back and lose Eaves's salary in the process. Well we all know how that worked out.

Yes working with Chara will make you look good, but they tried Boychuk there and he wasn't quite good enough. Seids will probably always be a #3 but can play #2 with the right partner. Meanwhile, we keep looking for the answer...

To end on a positive note, for the first time I can remember, this organization has some home-grown defensive help that's not too far from being ready. Let's don't screw that up.

Good point, I think this is all the more reason to go Defensive in this years draft because we have plenty of offensive talent in the system. I think we've actually done better in drafting overall since the Cup win and after the Checkers run I feel really good about our upcoming prospects.

It was interesting to watch Alberts vs. Seidenburg in the Cup finals. It's over now, and Seids was on the winning side.

Game 7, Seids had some good play with Chara, including laying down in front of Thomas (right there, in front of the crease) as an extra backstop.

Impressive. Alberts? Not so much -- even though I like the guy.

Seids earned his pay. Too dang bad JR didn't cough up the dough to keep him.

True. Even Aaron Ward. Looked great vs Canes 08-09, we signed him and some imposter showed up in 09-10.

That sounds familiar . . . in Atlanta we got Zhitnik from Buffalo. Same story.

This is gonna feel familiar- needs better defense. At least there are established and solid offense and in goal (unlike the revolving door of Thrashers goalies and selling/trading off anyone who got good).

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view/2011_0618german_accents_seidenbergs_influence_significant_on_bs_cup/

This is a great article on Seidenberg's contribution to Boston's winning of the cup.. It paints him as an unsung hero, which I could not agree more with. I honestly think Seidenberg was Boston's best dman during the series, if not the entire playoffs. Good for him - he deserves his name on the cup.