The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Messages to Thrasher Fans

Wondering how long the Thrasher boards and web page will be active?

I'm not sure. If you want to send the Thrasher fans a message and invite them to our board I wouldn't wait to long.

Here is the link Canes fan sorry how it played out. Your welcome to talk hockey with us.

(see you already did)

Edited by OBXer

Thanks to gloating Canadian trolls, the Thrashers board has blocked new posters so the Thrashers fans can mourn together.

It looks like a number are seeking asylum in the Carolinas, like myself.

So . . .

I'm not yet ready to get a Canes jersey (too many years as a rival, but that will pass in time). So, what do ya'll think about a red Atlanta Flames jersey at games?

Or Thrashers?

-Or a Whalers? I, ironically, just got one off ebay a couple weeks ago. It's a Gordie Howe green one being made in Asia. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Back to topic:

I'm glad to see that so many know the crappy owner situation the Thrashers had and understand what happened and the complex situation the fans found themselves in the last few years. Basically, they bought the Hawks and arena operating rights, but got a hockey team they didn't really want. Then they left a moron named Don Wadell in charge to run the team, which he did for the entire 11 year run (HOW he wasn't fires, we have no idea).

So . . .

I'm not yet ready to get a Canes jersey (too many years as a rival, but that will pass in time). So, what do ya'll think about a red Atlanta Flames jersey at games?

Or Thrashers?

-Or a Whalers? I, ironically, just got one off ebay a couple weeks ago. It's a Gordie Howe green one being made in Asia. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Back to topic:

I'm glad to see that so many know the crappy owner situation the Thrashers had and understand what happened and the complex situation the fans found themselves in the last few years. Basically, they bought the Hawks and arena operating rights, but got a hockey team they didn't really want. Then they left a moron named Don Wadell in charge to run the team, which he did for the entire 11 year run (HOW he wasn't fires, we have no idea).

Whatever jersey you wear to the game will be understood and appreciated. I hope in time you will decide to wear a Carolina Hurricane sweater but it isn't essential.

Oh, and whatever good or craziness I harken upon this forum, it is OBXer's fault . . .

I can take it.

Welcome all Thrashers fans! I'm glad you are here. I hate what happened, I've been through that myself before. Hopefully, one day, we can have the rivalry back in Atlanta.

That is with new ownership. Welcome all! :welcome:

I hope we get another team in the ATL but its not likely, too much competition with 3 other major league sports, the ATL is crazy about College & HS football & we have a sports talk media that was not only indiffrent to the Thrashers, but borderline hostile to it.

They (the talking heads in the media) did not want to do their homework on another sport they had to learn something about. Thrasher fans were never given a chance in this city.

There is a hockey community here & those who have been around the ATL realize it. For a while, we did have a nice rivalry. Especially in mid decade when we were pretty good during 05-06 and 06-07.

In the end it was a blessing in disguise, its going to stink not having an NHL team, but its something we as fans had no control over. Not with that stinking ownership & the league saw an opportunity to cover its losses in Phoenix. We were expendable. It got to the point it was more frustration then fun being a fan. So many half truths & worse from the ATL Spirit.

By the way, a nice pick with offensive defenseman dynamo in Ryan Murphy. Another weapon that Peter Laviolette will have to work with if not this year, maybe next year.

I will always root for the old division rivals to beat the tar out of the WPG next year & will not wish that franchise well.

Edited by TerribleT

I wish it were Laviolette working with Murphy, but unfortunately its Paul Maurice, the Alfred E. Neuman of the hockey coaching world.

That was my mistake, guess I was paying attention to what Philly was doing when watching the goings on of yeasterday and typed in Laviollette's name. My bad.

You got some good young players as building blocks and congrats to Skinner.

The Canes were my favorite rivalry when the Thrash were here, always hated but respected them.

And when Nittymaki was in TB, we could not beat him. Even lost to him as a Shark. And as it goes, we never will beat him.

First, I wanto thank all the canes fnas who are welcoming us thrashers to your boards.

A real class act that will help me cheer for your team now that ours is gone.

I remeber when this thing went through how the jets ownership told the world how great they were going to be in such a short while.

It was great to see they did nothing to improve what we all know to be a mediocre team at best.

They signed a basically 5th line winger in glass and I had never even heard of meech.

There are some players I will always root for because they never threw the fans under the bus, but when I heard so many of them say they cant wait to play in front of a full house, it made me sick. If that was all it took then no home team would ever lose. look at the canucks as the latest example.

Good luck to the canes. Make the south rise again.

I don't know how Phillips Arena compares to the Cable Box, but since they have the gear to make ice, you would think Atlanta could host an AHL team. Charlotte plays in a basketball arena. Not the best sightlines and the place is only 1/4 full, but that doesn't matter. I know it's not the Thrashers, but could still be hockey in ATL.

Trust me, I grew up in Charlotte and watched a stupid money grubbing owner alienate the fans and then move the Hornets out of spite after "claiming" we didn't show up when really he told us to all sod off. We know exactly how you feel.

I had been a fan of the Canes off and on since 01-02. I played EA NHL 01, and picked the Canes since they were one of the lowest rated teams. (I use to enjoy watching the Devils because of Brodeur, Stevens, and they were one of the best) I slowly learned all the players, and started actually following the team online over the course of years. 03-04 is when I really became more of a hardcore fan, getting t-shirts, blankets, etc etc. I've been a hardcore fan, even justifying naming (possibly, were not 100% sure) on naming our next son Cameron mostly because of Cam Ward. (That's not bad... try explaining to your daughter that she was named after a video game character) ... The point I'm getting at is this - I wasn't around when the Whalers moved from Hartford and came to N.C. I couldn't even imagine what that would be like... of course you still enjoy some to most of your favorite players, but you're still *edit* off that the owners had to up and move your friggin' team! WTH??!?! I also realize that it could very happen to the Canes... again, in a way. Even with the Cup, 2 ECF appearances, the first major sports title earned in N.C., etc etc, there could still be a real possibility that the team is relocated again. To the Thrasher fans, you have my condolences, if thats the right word I'm looking for here. (hate when you're awake but not all there...) Should you choose to watch the Canes or (dare I say?!?) cheer for them, thank you for taking the time to come here and interacting with us (in a less hostile situation than in the past), and thank you for giving the Canes a chance to fill your hockey needs.

Long and a little off track here and there, but, my 4 cents.

I wasn't around when the Whalers moved from Hartford and came to N.C. I couldn't even imagine what that would be like...

I'm from Connecticut and even though it's been 14 years since the move it still hurts like hell. I don't have to imagine it, I'm still living through it. I can empathize with Atlanta fans, I know what you are going through. Thrasher fans should keep in mind that if they are supporting the Hurricanes, they are supporting an owner who treated Whaler fans pretty much like ASG treated you...

I'm from Connecticut and even though it's been 14 years since the move it still hurts like hell. I don't have to imagine it, I'm still living through it. I can empathize with Atlanta fans, I know what you are going through. Thrasher fans should keep in mind that if they are supporting the Hurricanes, they are supporting an owner who treated Whaler fans pretty much like ASG treated you...

I can appreciate your stance on Karmanos since he took your team out of Hartford but the Atlanta deal seems a little different to me. ASG wanted to wash their hands of their hockey team altogether and were willing to sell it to folks who were certain to move the team just to be done with it. In fact, some would argue if they ever really wanted the hockey team that came with their original deal in the first place. Karmanos wanted out of Hartford but he wanted his hockey team.

None of that makes it any better for you or anyone who's ever lost their team.

I can appreciate your stance on Karmanos since he took your team out of Hartford but the Atlanta deal seems a little different to me. ASG wanted to wash their hands of their hockey team altogether and were willing to sell it to folks who were certain to move the team just to be done with it. In fact, some would argue if they ever really wanted the hockey team that came with their original deal in the first place. Karmanos wanted out of Hartford but he wanted his hockey team.

Yeah, that was my point, actually. ASG never wanted the team, and sold it to people who did. Unfortunately, it meant that Atlanta lost their team. ASG treated their fans terribly. Karmanos treated the fans in Hartford just as bad, but he still owns the team, in a different location. Thrasher fans might want to consider that before climbing on the Hurricanes bandwagon.

I got nothing on Karmanos but ASG is a different ball game. I hope they end up bankrupt and get theirs in the end. And Im not a vindictive guy.

I can understand that. The only redeeming factor of Karmanos having moved the Whalers is the fact that he has lost so many millions since the move. Considering the economic realities of the NHL, it is highly unlikely that he will ever recover those losses. (I know he has enough money that it probably doesn't matter, but I'm still glad he is losing money...)

I just wanted to say I appreciate the Thrasher fans who have posted here. You are bringing a different perspective and adding to good hockey talk. When we picked up Stewart it was nice to be able to ask Thrasher fans for their insight. This is going to be an interesting year.