The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
go_canes_go

New Assistant Coach Brind'Amour and Lewis

Heard on the radio that at today's 12:00 press conference, Brind'Amour will be announced as next head coach.

I thought Maurice would be given to the end of the year to turn things around.

Also thought that Brindy would coach in the minors first. Hope it works out.

I highly doubt that will happen, but if it does that would be a bombshell. I'm curious as to where you heard such a rumor?

Nevermind, I really think you are confused, as the announcement will have Brindy joining the coaching staff, at least when the Junior Canes aren't playing.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I highly doubt that will happen, but if it does that would be a bombshell. I'm curious as to where you heard such a rumor?

Nevermind, I really think you are confused, as the announcement will have Brindy joining the coaching staff, at least when the Junior Canes aren't playing.

I heard it on one of the following local radio stations: 100.7, 102.9, or 101.5 (I listen to all 3 on the way to work, and can't remember which).

Its possible that they got it wrong.

I heard it on one of the following local radio stations: 100.7, 102.9, or 101.5 (I listen to all 3 on the way to work, and can't remember which).

Its possible that they got it wrong.

go_canes_go, I meant to say "they" are confused, not yourself, sorry.

Yeah, I was under the impression that he'll be joining the coaching staff in some capacity other than head coach. Perhaps taking Ron Francis' spot now that he has expressed wanting to go back to his old position. Besides, didn't I read recently that Rutherford was quite pleased with Coach Mo and thought he did a great job with what he had? So, no, I don't think they are going to announce Brindy as head coach. It sure would surprise me if they did.

Brind'Amour as head coach? Not yet. Gotta groom. Gotta at least do some time as an assistant. Ideally take a stint in Charlotte, though probably not for the likes of Brind'Amour. But at least some assistant time. As an assistant it does make great sense.

Hurricanes Announce Hockey Operations Changes Lewis, Brind’Amour added to coaching staff; Francis to be Director of Hockey Operations

"Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that Dave Lewis and Rod Brind’Amour have each been named to the team’s coaching staff for the 2011-12 season. In addition, Rutherford announced that Ron Francis has been named director of hockey operations and Tom Rowe has been added to the team’s pro scouting department."

Dave Lewis? Didn't see that coming.

EDIT: Probably best to change the title of the thread :D

Edited by JLP

I like the addition of Dave Lewis. I remember him from back in the day. No no-sense D-Man, 3 cups, finished his career in Detroit, one of the best defensive teams of the last few decades.

I like the changes, now they just need to make the right signings and acquisitions to get the season going.

My hope is Dave Lewis will "teach" the game of defense, and not just be a bench guy like Rowe was. I've read enough about him over the years to understand he has a well-respected defensive mind. With all the younger blue liners and the defensive talent in our system, I like the move. For what it's worth, I think the league is starting to move back to more of a defensive game, so the timing is good from that perspective as well.

As far as Brindy goes, I think this will pay huge dividends for Sutter, and my guess is that had a lot to do with him being "nudged" along to the big club rather than in Charlotte or elsewhere.

I'll reserve judgement, but I like the fact that at least we are bringing in new ideas.

That was interesting. In retrospect I suppose we should have figured Rowe was gone. I can't say I saw or even thought about Dave Lewis as a replacement. He looks like he is all business. Brindy looked like a kid in a candy store. Good for him. I think he will do well but only time will tell. Mo didn't look that happy and I have to wonder if this is his coaching staff or JR's coaching staff.

Don't know how, but "Assistant Head Coach" should work :blush:

Done!

Heres my take....Mo's stumbles this year Dave Lewis is taking over. Why else would you bring a former head coach on board? I mean maybe to get more outta the defense, but I don't know that your bring a guy whose used to running the kitchen into the kitchen.

Edited by legend-1

From what I have read, Lewis's best days were as an assistant, he flamed out pretty quick as head coach. If Mo goes during the season they might make him coach but probably temporary unless he does really well.

I do know this is the first "outside hire" for coaching/management since Lavi and Barrasso. Definitely a good time for some new blood.

Yikes, Dave Lewis? He only lasted one season in Boston. 2006 or 07?

I'm not totally sold on Dave Lewis after seeing how poorly Boston performed under his regime, but I think it's pretty well accepted throughout hockey that Brind'Amour is a great hockey guy and a born leader. Should be interesting to see what their respective roles are within the coaching staff.

Major Kudos to Rutherford!!!! Class organization and a super owner. I'm new here (first post) but I have followed the Canes since their beginning. I've always been impressed with the way this organization conducts business - fans should never forget that this is a business first. I don't agree with that so that is why Rutherford deserves so much credit for promoting (mostly) from within. I will be there next season rooting for the Canes again. F.Y.I. - I have been following hockey for 50+ years - it is the greatest sport in the world.

He mighta stunk in Boston but Detroit had 2 almost 48 win seasons with him. I could go for one of those. Even if he's a "drop the ball in playoffs" guy... I'd rather make the playoffs to drop the ball then constantly miss them.

Edited by legend-1

You could prolly insert your own key terms and make up what they would have said.

For instance, the PP will have more speed and better passing with improved net prescence. What will actually happen is beyond me unfortunately.

I'm starting to understand the term "restructuring". Seems to fit the moves so far. :)

Woohoo, 3,000 posts! Seems like a long time since the first one. :pb:

Edited by coastal_caniac