The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Will Cole Re-sign

Just one conversation? JR probably heard what Cole is asking for and hasn't recovered from his conniption yet to resume reasonable negotiations. lol

Just one conversation? JR probably heard what Cole is asking for and hasn't recovered from his conniption yet to resume reasonable negotiations. lol

I guess talk isn't cheap after all.

Same story as two years ago. "We made him an offer, he wants too much, he's going to test the market, we're moving on"...then signed at 2pm. :spin:

Canes Country noted in an article today that Montreal just re-signed Kostitsyn for 1 year at $3.25, and his stats were slightly lower than both Cole and Jussi. Cole was making $4 mil in his last contract before this one, took a cut after a couple of weaker years, and proved himself this year. $4 mil is not out of the question, even if he is older now. Same for Jussi.

At some point JR has to pay up. Otherwise you have a team of guys making $2 mil or less, just like the Isles.

At some point JR has to pay up. Otherwise you have a team of guys making $2 mil or less, just like the Isles.

I understand and agree with your post, but remember that there is always a flip-side to the coin... Rick Dipietro. But I doubt JR will get taken for a ride like that. The biggest issue in this situation is getting the green light from Karmanos. Last time he allowed JR to pay to the limit, well, we all remember the result :thumbdown: .

I understand and agree with your post, but remember that there is always a flip-side to the coin... Rick Dipietro. But I doubt JR will get taken for a ride like that. The biggest issue in this situation is getting the green light from Karmanos. Last time he allowed JR to pay to the limit, well, we all remember the result :thumbdown: .

The difference between the Dipietro deal and anything Cole will get is the DiPietro contract was 15 years. Cole won't get anything that long-term, so if they do overpay it won't be an overpayment they'll have to sit on for a decade.

Yeah you know JR won't do any crazy long term. For Cole, 3 years would get him up to 35, which is a magic number in the CBA. Probably what Cole will be looking for at a minimum.

Edited by JLP

would love to know how players the caliber of Cole process information. there must be some vakue not having to not have to put up with wicked Winter weather and a major media market. There must be a value to having a family with roots in the area, fairly good schools, fairly low cost of living (as opposed to NY ). Or, is it all about the $$$$$?

would love to know how players the caliber of Cole process information. there must be some vakue not having to not have to put up with wicked Winter weather and a major media market. There must be a value to having a family with roots in the area, fairly good schools, fairly low cost of living (as opposed to NY ). Or, is it all about the $$$$$?

I would have expected him to take a page out of Corvo's book and stay home. I recall him saying that when he was in Edmonton that it wasn't right... his family never relocated, I believe, and that when he came back he was relieved to be home with his family and friends... if that is true, why leave? I think it's about trying to hold out for more money, probably his agent's call. I expect Cole's mentality to be: Get more money if you can, but keep me here.

Watching the Cole comments it didn't look like there is any impasse. He seemed matter of fact and perhaps a little surprised there hasn't been more talk. Like JLP I think he is probable looking for a 3 year deal. Of course everything is speculation at this point but my guess is Cole will stay in Carolina. I hope so.

Looks like the Canes are going to have to do a lot of shopping this off season to fill the roster.

perhaps I can afford to buy a jersey of one of the disposed of players when it goes on discount at the eye.