The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Winnipeg name, logo and sweater

Apparently Winnipeg might get a name this weekend but not in time for the draft according to TSN.

It's not yet known what the team name will be. The team will use a generic NHL logo jersey for its draft picks this weekend in Minnesota.

Maybe we should just call them Peggy for now.

Edited by OBXer

Apparently Winnipeg might get a name this weekend but not in time for the draft according to TSN.

does this mean the team's draft picks get a generic NHL jersey

does this mean the team's draft picks get a generic NHL jersey

That is what the indication is. We will see.

Canadian teams seem to enjoy naming their teams after the fact they live in Canada i.e. Canadiens and Canucks so maybe they'll pull a team name out of that. Although I feel bad for the prospect that has to get the generic nhl logo jersey tomorrow night, for tomorrow night I guess the name is the Winnipeg We're Not the Thrashers until they decide on something concrete

I'm real curious what they will announce. I would understand the Jets or the Moose (which is also the source of Hedburg's "Moose" nickname), but suspect they will come up with something new.

As for the Canadian team names . . .

One is "British Canadian:" Maple Leafs, after a WW1 military unit that fought with the British

Canadiens- French Canadian

Canuck- after Johnny Canuck, a Canadian folk hero character- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Canuck

--- The actual origin is a bit vague: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canuck but it is a common reference to "redneck" Canadians.

Also, Nordique was a reference to the team being "the Northmen," an a mix of French, Viking, and north references

Senators refers to capital city of Canada, much like Capitals and the MLB Senators did for DC.

I'm real curious what they will announce. I would understand the Jets or the Moose (which is also the source of Hedburg's "Moose" nickname), but suspect they will come up with something new.

As for the Canadian team names . . .

One is "British Canadian:" Maple Leafs, after a WW1 military unit that fought with the British

Canadiens- French Canadian

Canuck- after Johnny Canuck, a Canadian folk hero character- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Canuck

--- The actual origin is a bit vague: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canuck but it is a common reference to "redneck" Canadians.

Also, Nordique was a reference to the team being "the Northmen," an a mix of French, Viking, and north references

Senators refers to capital city of Canada, much like Capitals and the MLB Senators did for DC.

Canadians actually comes from the official team name "Les Club du hockey Canadian" they are often called the Habs in reference to French Canadian settlers along the St. Lawrence who were referred to as "Habitants"

Oilers is because Edmonton is the centre of the Canadian petrolium industry

Flames simply kept the name when they moved from Atlanta

Jets were because the original owner of the Winnipeg Jets was a fan of the New York Jets

Edited by Wolfman_Jack

TSN -The Winnipeg NHL club is expected to name its team just prior to making the 7th overall pick during tonight's Entry Draft

I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat :coollaugh:

Interesting that the old name can be used in Winnipeg, as well as the logo. Having read over the years about how the Canes can't even hum The Brass Bonanza because of trademark ownership by the city of Hartford, I find it odd that all the old Jets stuff is still available. I figured the Phoenix franchise owned it. Then again, if the NHL owns the Coyotes, I guess they can give the name to any team they chose. It will be like a time warp to sit in the RBC and watch the Canes play the Jets, complete with the old logo.

Because the City of Hartford owns all the Whalers rights, if they ever got a new team they could use the name and logo if they want. Those rights didn't go with the team to Raleigh and that's the difference.

Interesting that the old name can be used in Winnipeg, as well as the logo. Having read over the years about how the Canes can't even hum The Brass Bonanza because of trademark ownership by the city of Hartford, I find it odd that all the old Jets stuff is still available. I figured the Phoenix franchise owned it. Then again, if the NHL owns the Coyotes, I guess they can give the name to any team they chose. It will be like a time warp to sit in the RBC and watch the Canes play the Jets, complete with the old logo.

The Phoenix franchise does own it, but the NHL owns the Phoenix franchise, and they told the Winnipeg team that they'd have access to everything but the statistical history.

Because the City of Hartford owns all the Whalers rights, if they ever got a new team they could use the name and logo if they want. Those rights didn't go with the team to Raleigh and that's the difference.

Not so...actually, the Hurricanes own a lot of Whalers related trademarks: http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&reel=1714&frame=0906

That's an interesting document, not sure I understand it all though. I can see where certain trademark rights have been re-assigned but it looks like its for security interest, now what specifically security interest is I have no idea but it sounds financial which would make sense. Anyway to know where the logo and name Whalers falls in on that list?

There has been a lot of questions about the ownership of the Whalers name, logo, etc., since the team moved away from here. It would appear the NHL owns the rights to a lot of it, since they have started issuing retro hockey gear with Whalers logos and colors, (Very big sellers!) As for Brass Bonanza, I don't think anyone owns it, it may be in the public domain. I know the Boston Red Sox have played it at Fenway Park, and several college hockey teams use it as well... But I don't think Karmanos ever liked it, he was doing away with it here, but the fans wanted it at the games.

There has been a lot of questions about the ownership of the Whalers name, logo, etc., since the team moved away from here. It would appear the NHL owns the rights to a lot of it, since they have started issuing retro hockey gear with Whalers logos and colors, (Very big sellers!) As for Brass Bonanza, I don't think anyone owns it, it may be in the public domain. I know the Boston Red Sox have played it at Fenway Park, and several college hockey teams use it as well... But I don't think Karmanos ever liked it, he was doing away with it here, but the fans wanted it at the games.

I actually heard it at a Red Sox game once, lol. I've always just taken people's word that the City of Hartford owned all the rights to the name and logo but obviously that isn't true. Personally, I'd like to see some of the Whaler retro gear mixed in with the Canes gear. Maybe someday we will if the NHL is already using it.

Back to Winnipeg, has anyone see the new logo yet? Is the the same one they had before?

Actually, the Connecticut Whale (Hartford, AHL) use it now...the guy who wrote it has given the Whale permission to use it. Here's an article about it from the Hartford Courant...

http://articles.courant.com/2010-11-27/sports/hc-jacobs-column-1127-20101127_1_theme-song-brass-bonanza-facebook

Edited by Obi-Wan

Yes, I know they play BB at the Whale games, they used it on TV commercials when they renamed the team early in the season. But I haven't been to the Hartford Civic Center, (now the XL Center), since 1997.

I'm sure if the 'canes wanted to play it, there would be no problem. But I don't think the team's management liked it...

The Jet's are killing me in the headlines, constantly think the football Jets are making deals despite being locked out.

The story says the jet in the primary logo is headed north. How much farther north do they want go? Anyway they are in the southeast conference and jet is heading in the wrong direction. Come on peggy get a map.

I like the jet logo, the others seem a bit dull, but I like the colors, red white and blue are a bit over used so I like the silver. Would like to see it more in the uni as well, not used much as a primary color.

I dont like anything to do with this logo. It looks like it belongs for a military rec team. The leaf despite being homage to Canada looks more like homage to Molson beer or the Leafs.