The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
TSA

Canes pick Ryan Murphy with the 12th overall pick

murphy062411.jpg

Draft Profile: Ryan Murphy

Paul Branecky

Being one-dimensional can work, as long as that dimension is very, very good.

That seems to be the case with Ontario Hockey League defenseman Ryan Murphy. A Kitchener Rangers teammate of Jeff Skinner’s two seasons ago, Murphy, who led all league defensemen with 79 points (26g, 53a) in 63 regular-season games last season, has elite offensive skills that should translate to the NHL.

“His offensive ability is pretty special,” said Jason Karmanos, the Hurricanes’ vice president and assistant general manager. “He skates very well, has an extremely hard shot and projects as a power-play quarterback.”

In addition to his prowess with the man advantage, scouts also love Murphy’s skating and ability to beat opposing defenders in one-on-one situations with his shiftiness and quick hands. As far as scoring goes, he seems like a sure thing.

“He has had the type of production you rarely see among draft-eligible defensemen,” said Karmanos.

murphy061611_thumb.jpg If Murphy is available to Carolina at No. 12 (most rankings have him higher), that will be due to other areas of his game. As of now, his defensive abilities are thought of as average at best, while his size (5-foot-11, 176 pounds), also isn’t cause for excitement.

While it’s clear that teams will draft him in the top 15 based on his scoring potential, that’s not to say he couldn’t overcome the knocks against him over time.

“He has to play a different kind of defensive game because of his size,” said Tony MacDonald, the Hurricanes’ director of amateur scouting. “It’s tougher for him to go head-to-head with a 6-foot-2, 210-pound winger. He’s not going to muscle him out of there, so he’s got to take a different approach.

“He has to be an angle-and-contain, body-position guy, and his skating allows him to recover and defend in situations where he might get trapped up ice.”

While he improved during the season and was able to learn and implement that style in junior hockey and international play, there are still uncertainties as to whether he projects as a reliable five-on-five player at the NHL level. While the two are different players – Murphy is more apt to lead the rush himself – that’s part of what made Cam Fowler, thought of as a near-consensus top five pick on draft day one year ago, fall all the way to 12.

That Fowler already has a full NHL season under his belt and looks like a potential steal could help Murphy’s cause, as will his strong finish to the season. Prior to an impressive showing for Canada at the World Under-18 Championship (he led his team with 13 points in seven games and was named the tournament’s Top Defenseman), Murphy paced Kitchener in playoff scoring with 11 points in 10 games – one more than potential No. 1 overall pick Gabriel Landeskog.

That has scouts hoping that he can become a more complete player rather than one who merely uses his strengths – no matter how prominent – to balance out his weaknesses.

“Every defenseman in the league has to learn how to play more of a containment-type game,” said Karmanos. “He’s figured that out at the junior level and the international level with his peers, so it would seem that in time he would be able to figure that out with the bigger, stronger players in the NHL.”

http://hurricanes.nh...s.htm?id=566087

From Paul:

-Rutherford excited about Murphy's offensive potential, and team is comfortable he can learn and adapt to be reliable 5-on-5 at NHL level

-Rutherford excited about Murphy's offensive potential, and team is comfortable he can learn and adapt to be reliable 5-on-5 at NHL level

-Regarding trades, Rutherford said he's cooled on that. There were things last week that he "backed off on" and is now thinking UFA signings may preclude need to take those steps.

-In related news, Rutherford said that the face-to-face meetings with agents have helped speed communication that had stalled. Progress continues to be made.

-Murphy's coach in Kitchener, Steve Spott, was big factor in convincing Canes of his smarts. Worked with Skinner.

Follow Ryan Murphy on Twitter

Mike Maniscalco with JR on drafting Murphy

Murphy wants to be known as an All-Around Defenseman - Adam Kimelman/NHL.com

Carolina Hurricanes select Murphy 12th overall - From Kitchenerrangers.com

Ryan Murphy on his media call

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio/interviews/murphy062411.mp3

JR's conference call with the media

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio/interviews/rutherford062411.mp3

Draft Profile: Ryan Murphy

Paul Branecky

That seems to be the case with Ontario Hockey League defenseman Ryan Murphy. A Kitchener Rangers teammate of Jeff Skinner’s two seasons ago, Murphy, who led all league defensemen with 79 points (26g, 53a) in 63 regular-season games last season, has elite offensive skills that should translate to the NHL.

“His offensive ability is pretty special,” said Jason Karmanos, the Hurricanes’ vice president and assistant general manager. “He skates very well, has an extremely hard shot and projects as a power-play quarterback.”

In addition to his prowess with the man advantage, scouts also love Murphy’s skating and ability to beat opposing defenders in one-on-one situations with his shiftiness and quick hands. As far as scoring goes, he seems like a sure thing.

“He has had the type of production you rarely see among draft-eligible defensemen,” said Karmanos.

murphy061611_thumb.jpg If Murphy is available to Carolina at No. 12 (most rankings have him higher), that will be due to other areas of his game. As of now, his defensive abilities are thought of as average at best, while his size (5-foot-11, 176 pounds), also isn’t cause for excitement.

While it’s clear that teams will draft him in the top 15 based on his scoring potential, that’s not to say he couldn’t overcome the knocks against him over time.

“He has to play a different kind of defensive game because of his size,” said Tony MacDonald, the Hurricanes’ director of amateur scouting. “It’s tougher for him to go head-to-head with a 6-foot-2, 210-pound winger. He’s not going to muscle him out of there, so he’s got to take a different approach.

“He has to be an angle-and-contain, body-position guy, and his skating allows him to recover and defend in situations where he might get trapped up ice.”

While he improved during the season and was able to learn and implement that style in junior hockey and international play, there are still uncertainties as to whether he projects as a reliable five-on-five player at the NHL level. While the two are different players – Murphy is more apt to lead the rush himself – that’s part of what made Cam Fowler, thought of as a near-consensus top five pick on draft day one year ago, fall all the way to 12.

That Fowler already has a full NHL season under his belt and looks like a potential steal could help Murphy’s cause, as will his strong finish to the season. Prior to an impressive showing for Canada at the World Under-18 Championship (he led his team with 13 points in seven games and was named the tournament’s Top Defenseman), Murphy paced Kitchener in playoff scoring with 11 points in 10 games – one more than potential No. 1 overall pick Gabriel Landeskog.

That has scouts hoping that he can become a more complete player rather than one who merely uses his strengths – no matter how prominent – to balance out his weaknesses.

“Every defenseman in the league has to learn how to play more of a containment-type game,” said Karmanos. “He’s figured that out at the junior level and the international level with his peers, so it would seem that in time he would be able to figure that out with the bigger, stronger players in the NHL.”

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=566087

How long before he's ready to be a starter?

I think we lost out on Siemens going early but Murphy wasnt a good pick. Will be liability in the D zone. Will have to be the guy that guys plays behind the net because he wont be able to take the punishment in front of the net. I thought McNeill could have been a guy that could have come in immediately to be the 4th line center.

Terrible we couldnt put together a package to grab Brouwer from Chicago. He could have been a great replacement to Cole. Atleast JR wasnt dumb enough to pick up Campbell like Florida was.

Size is a concern. What kind of 5'11" is he? A long or short version? I'm serious. I'm 5'11" 185, and have been as high as 230, so I kind of know a few things about guys my size. Looking at my skate-with-the-canes picture with Jeff Skinner, and see he is a touch smaller than me (he's listed at 5'11"). A few years ago, I skated with Seidenberg and I swear he was right at my size (listed today at 6'1" 210).

So, I'm serious, what's his real size?

And in any case, if they are saying 176 -- my goodness -- that is thin! Skinner is supposedly 195. Not so sure about that!!! At 176, this guy must disappear when viewed from the side.

Get out the protein powders, milk shakes and french fries. We need to get this guy beefed up!

Edited by wxray1

Size is a concern. What kind of 5'11" is he? A long or short version? I'm serious. I'm 5'11" 185, and have been as high as 230, so I kind of know a few things about guys my size. Looking at my skate-with-the-canes picture with Jeff Skinner, and see he is a touch smaller than me (he's listed at 5'11"). A few years ago, I skated with Seidenberg and I swear he was right at my size (listed today at 6'1" 210).

So, I'm serious, what's his real size?

And in any case, if they are saying 176 -- my goodness -- that is thin! Skinner is supposedly 195. Not so sure about that!!! At 176, this guy must disappear when viewed from the side.

Get out the protein powders, milk shakes and french fries. We need to get this guy beefed up!

smaller size on a forward is one thing but on a Dman is totally different.

On size I have this question. Are there 5'11"-ish defensemen in the NHL who play decent defense? I am asking, but I have to think there are a few. If so, this kid seems to have the offensive skills of a defenseman Jeff Skinner. The kind of "elite" offensive skills that have some putting his upside as perennial All Star.

According to one mock draft compilation almost half the mock drafts had Murphy at #8, and most of the rest at #9, at least one had him at #5.

I don't think the Canes had any intention of taking a small puck moving defenseman, i think they were going with a forward, but then the run on forwards started, and Murphy dropped and they thought, at 12 how can we not take him?

While I do agree that the Canes need more of a top shut down guy at present, in general the puckmovers/scorers are harder to come by. As McBain, Faulk and Murphy come into form we can always go out and find the physical guys to compliment them.

The most encouraging bit I found was from the bleacher report making the case for the Bruins to get Murphy at #9 if he was still there.

The website, www.thescoutingreport.org assesses the 2011 OHL 1st Team All-Star as a player who "...has the potential to be in a unique league of his own if he hits his ceiling. The Aurora, Ont. native is a dynamic playmaking defenseman who has a creative blend of speed and the ability to make highly skilled moves at top speed. At any given point he’s a threat to rush the puck up the ice and has very good vision in doing so. He’s also a very smart player on the powerplay and has utilized his shot a lot more over the past season than he did as a rookie. Defensive coverage has improved and he’s started to use his body a little more as well. Once considered a bit of a risk, we feel Murphy has entrenched himself as a blue-chip prospect regardless of some of the concerns about his game."

Sounds like a pretty good pick at #12.

Edited by remkin

Sounds like someone that would be better offensively then Pitkanen right out of the gate, I'm going to wait to complain about his size and defensive skills until training camp though.

I'm estatic with this pick. I would have liked a big center, but we took the BPA. For all you worried about his size; no, he won't destroy someone along the boards or wipe the crease clean with a big hit, but he's got a great hip check for a guy who likely has no business using one. Murphy has offensive abilities that this organization has never seen on the blueline. Go take a look at some of his youtube replays. This kid can steal the puck and send it the other way like a wizard. If he doesn't have a first pass to clear the zone he will do it himself. He's a great skater and sees the ice well, has a great shot, and will be a powerplay monster. Great pick at 12!

Edited by coastal_caniac

In the new NHL size isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. Besides, this kid makes for his size with his speed. He's freakishly fast. Pierre McGuire always over-exaggerates, but he said Murphy is instantly the fastest defenseman in the NHL. Murphy has a lot of upside - can't wait to see him on the ice.

This move does shake-up the backend, due to all of the offensive d-men we have: McBain, Corvo, Faulk, Sanguinette, Murphy, Jordan.. Looks like they are going to throw some offensive d-men at the wall and see which ones stick.

This kid can steal the puck and send it the other way like a wizard. If he doesn't have a first pass to clear the zone he will do it himself. He's a great skater and sees the ice well, has a great shot, and will be a powerplay monster. Great pick at 12!

This is all the info I need. If this kid develops into what he's projected to be, he'll fill a huge void for this team.

When was the last time we could say we had a good PP with a solid QB? When was the last time we had a player who could confidently skate the puck into the zone and actually hang onto to it? Uh huh.... I had trouble remembering too. :)

Looking at my skate-with-the-canes picture with Jeff Skinner, and see he is a touch smaller than me (he's listed at 5'11"). So, I'm serious, what's his real size?

5'11" ?

*que in Braveheart tune*

That couln't have been Jeff Skinner. He is seven feet tall, scores goals by the hundreds and if HE would have been there, he'd have consumed everyone with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his *edit*.

:spin:

A friend from work is a STH of the Kitchener Rangers team, and grew up there. He called last night after the pick and went on and on about what this kid can do. He said, and I quote, "he's easily one of the best puck movers this franchise has ever had, he's deceptively fast on skates, and is a monster on the PP." He said he will be as good as Paul Coffey, which is good enough for me. Like others, his size is a reasonable concern, but his upside looks huge.

Dang, I'm really excited about all the young defenseman in the system.

Can't wait till this kid is NHL ready! Being compared to the GREAT H.O.F. Paul Coffey, is surely a compliment to what Ryan can bring to this organization! I'm excited about this pick, hoping he can show his stuff in camp. Chances are he will be back in Kitchener next season, but that ain't a bad thing cause he can build his game more! IF he does end up in Kitchener, he will most likely be a leader on their blueline. Leadership is something that the 'Canes need on the backend in my opinion. I think that the fact that he's gonna come in already familiar with Skinner is a bonus, maybe lessen some the nervousness in camp! He will be a great addition to this team in due time!!! Welcome to Carolina, Ryan ( hopefully soon too! )!!!!!!

BTW,Somebody let me know when we change our team name to the "Kitchener South" Hurricanes!!!

Edited by shauniac79

The hard part is waiting for them to be NHL ready :(

Yeah, and the fact I wish our defensive prospects were on the same timeline as our offensive ones. Our defensive prospects are probably at least a year behind guys like Dalpe.

What a great lead line by Paul Branecky on the Murphy profile.

Watching video on this kid makes you really hope he gets a shot earlier then later. I think he was well worth the risk.

What a great lead line by Paul Branecky on the Murphy profile.

Watching video on this kid makes you really hope he gets a shot earlier then later. I think he was well worth the risk.

He must be something special because I'm hearing from lots of friends that know the prospects just how lucky we are. Sure hope he lives up to all the hype, I'm afraid his buddy Jeff Skinner set the bar pretty high.

If Paul Coffey loves him, that's quite an endorsement. I was thrilled with this pick!

Althought let's be reasonable, we need to get some meat on this kids bones, now that he's a Cane we need to throw him a good ol fashioned pig pickin' to put on that weight! Whos with me????