The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

NHL realignment - Going to 4 Conferences(or not...) (merged)

Hey Ich.

Nice thoughts.

I still think as compelling as DET-CHI is, DET feels like they've played their time in purgatory. Time to come back east. If any team is gonna come back, DET has to be it, even if it doesn't make 100% sense.

Panthers gotta start drawing a crowd. I dunno how long they can last at the rate they are going, so good point about move to KAN/LV, although I think LV is long shot. Too much housing depression and unemployment there. Also, PHO is back in serious trouble.

The Blue Jackets had plenty of experience tromping around the South East during the Civil War.

I'm not sure how this whole realignment thing is going to turn out, but does anyone else find it a little ironic that the "BlueJackets" could possibly find their way into the "SOUTHeast" division.. haha.. :usa:

Sorry.. History major here

I still like the idea of swapping just Nashville/Winnipeg. Even though Nashville is in the other time zone, it shouldn't be too bad travel wise. But with them moving East, they immediately become a contender. Detroit holds the wild card. Original 6 team wants back in the East and the NHL will do whatever they can to make it happen.

I know we all love speculation. Here is a scenario I came up with if the league ADDED two teams and the Panthers moved:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

North Division

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

New York Rangers

Lakes Division

Chicago Blackhawks

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Atlantic Division

New York Islanders

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Southeast Division

Washington Capitals

Carolina Hurricanes

Nashville Predators

Tampa Bay Lightning

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest Division

Minnesota Wild

Winnipeg Jets

Columbus Bluejackets

St. Louis Blues

Southwest Division

Dallas Stars

Colorado Avalanche

Phoenix Coyotes

Relocated Florida Panthers (KANSAS CITY)

Hollywood Division

San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

UNKNOWN Team #1 (LAS VEGAS)

Great North Division

Vancouver Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

UNKNOWN Team #2 (SEATTLE)

Playoffs would still be Division Winners (4 per conference) and Top 4 in each conference. Of course, you could really piss people off and take the TOP 2 in each division. Then first round they would play each other, then get reordered for conference playoffs.

Edited by hopper915

hopper, you make too much sense. Therefore, it won't work.

Could you please tell my wife that? I can't seem to convince her I make sense! :lol:

I give you...the best thing ever...(now with 32 teams!)

Eastern Conference:

Northeast Division:

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Nordiques (relocated from PHX)

Hartford Whalers (relocated from NYI)

Tri-State Division:

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Great Lakes Division:

Ottawa Senators

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Toronto Maple Leafs

Atlantic Division:

Washington Capitals

Carolina Hurricanes

Nashville Predators

Tampa Bay Lightning

Western Conference:

Midwest Division:

Columbus Blue Jackets

Minnesota Wild

Chicago Blackhawks

Winnipeg Jets

Central Division:

St. Louis Blues

Kansas City Scouts (relocated from FLA)

Dallas Stars

Colorado Avalanche

Southwest Division:

Las Vegas Aces (expansion)

San Jose Sharks

Anaheim Ducks

Los Angeles Kings

Pacific Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Seattle Metropolitans (expansion)

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Under this new, 32 team league with eight divisions, the following schedule would occur:

Divisional Opponents: 4 H, 4 A (24 GP)

Conference Opponents: 2 H, 2 A (48 GP)

Non-Conference Opponents: 1 H vs. one team per division, 1 A vs. one team per division (8 GP)

This leads to a regular-season of 80 games.

For the postseason, the league will adopt a five-round playoff format (for those who suck at math, yes, that means every team makes the playoffs).

The first two rounds would be entirely divisional matchups, pitting 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 in a best-of-5 series then the winners (say, 1 vs. 3) in another best-of-5 series. From there, there would be four teams left in each conference, who would then be re-seeded 1, 2, 3 and 4 based on combined regular-season and playoff record, and again 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3, though in best-of-7 format. The Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals would be unchanged. The maximum number of playoff games in a year increases only from 28 to 31, which means the maximum total number of games in a year would actually only increase by one.

This benefits the league enormously. It limits extensive travel, since teams can plan their non-conference and even non-divisional trips in one swoop, while also maximizing the number of games played against nearby teams. Furthermore, since every team is guaranteed at least one playoff game, the revenue stream is increased dramatically.

Watched the NHL Network this morning and Bob MacKenzie mention one possible option that maybe the way they will go is Winnipeg goes to the Central Division in the West and Detroit will move to the South East Division in the East.

Watched the NHL Network this morning and Bob MacKenzie mention one possible option that maybe the way they will go is Winnipeg goes to the Central Division in the West and Detroit will move to the South East Division in the East.

I saw this too. Its an easy fix and would give hockeytown what they want. To be back in the east. IMO it doesn't make sense for us in the southeast. We need to develop our own rivalries and Nashville makes more sense. I know we are a time zone apart but that could be worked out.

I heard this today also and really scratched my head at first. Then I started thinking about it a bit, and I could see why this may have some steam.

Consider:

- Detroit has been "promised" this for a long time. They did their time.

- Putting Det in a division OUTSIDE of the Orig 6 helps spread the attendance load. Having Orig 6 teams constantly playing frequently against each other (if all in the same division) does nothing for attendance.

- But, having most of the Orig 6 in the same Conference still makes for many more match ups, but not as many as if the same division. A nice compromise. Toronto-Detroit is restored.

- TV revenue. TV revenue. TV revenue. Det plays more games they can show on NBC sports (Versus) at good times.

- FLA/TBL/CAR all get needed boosts in attendance.

- Karmonos/Rutherford probably would welcome this, despite the increased competition. They'd love to have more full houses, even if full of alien fans. It is about the money.

- It works for Winnipeg.

But there are some drawbacks. I did a search on this story today and there are a raft of teams/fan bases bitterly complaining.

- Columbus gets no time zone relief.

- Dallas gets no realignment.

- West teams get no Detroit attendance draw.

Hey, I'm not saying this is a good idea! I personally don't like it. I'd rather not get beat up by Det. Carolina has had a terrible record against them up there in their house. I have no fondness for Det.

Just saying why I think some find it compelling.

Edited by wxray1

I saw it too. Talk about a nightmare scenario from a competition standpoint. A lot of PO'ed teams too. If I thought PK would spend the extra $ he made off those games it might be worth it, but I doubt that happening. I am guessing (hoping) they are just floating it out there right now as a trial balloon, hope it gets shot down.

If Detroit comes over we're gonna make the playoffs even less then we do now.

Swapping the once in a while decent Thrashers for the Wings and we can barely make the playoffs on a normal year? Sheesh

Edited by legend-1

I don't understand why Columbus isn't be rumored to be the team moving. They should be moving IMO.

I think they were rumored as a possible move east early on. Apparently Detroit has been promised the move east when it becomes possible. I think we need a total redo of the league but that isn't as easy as swapping two teams.

I think they were rumored as a possible move east early on. Apparently Detroit has been promised the move east when it becomes possible. I think we need a total redo of the league but that isn't as easy as swapping two teams.

I think you're right, it won't be as easy as swapping out two teams. I bet Detroit ends up in the Atlantic Div somehow and the rest of the East will get juggled too. If the league moves Detroit, they know they'll be giving up lots of revenue from out West and will look at which matchups in the East will help cover some of those losses. Glad I don't have that job., its not going to be easy to please everyone involved.

Standard Bob MacKenzie stating the very obvious and simple.

Detroit was the only team in the Western Conference that is in the Eastern Time Zone until the Blue Jackets came to fruition. Detroit was told when the first re-alignment occurred they could come back to the Eastern Conference the next time a re-alignment happens. Of course, this would have to be approved by a vote.

IF Detroit does end up in the South East, it would renew the rivalry between Karmanos and Ilitch. Their Jr Hockey teams use to face each other all the time in Detroit.

Another thing. It is rumored that the reason they are foot dragging this is because of the Phoenix situation. All is still not settled over there, with the lawsuit about the bonds and all. So, IF Phoenix was going to move, THAT could be an impetus to go for a radical realignment.

Just to clarify, there was no lawsuit, there was a threat of one. And that is pretty much over since Hulsizer pulled out. Last I knew the NHL had two solid contenders that were bringing their own money, but haven't heard much there lately. I am sure they want that situation resolved before the realignment decision so an answer should be coming soon.

This will happen, not just a possibility. About time MacKenzie got wind of it.

More talk on re-alignment. Looks like the league might be leaning towards 4 Conferences as oppose to 6 Divisions.

Should be decided at the end of December.

Edited by hopper915

More talk on re-alignment. Looks like the league might be leaning towards 4 Conferences as oppose to 6 Divisions.

Top four teams of each conference make playoffs? That might be do-able for the Canes.

REALIGNNNNNNN.jpg

We'd still be on the outside looking in. If that ends up being the proposed conferences, here is what I see:

#1) Washington

#2) Philadelphia

#3) Tampa Bay

#4) NY Rangers

#5) Florida (improving team)

#6) Carolina

#7) New Jersey (due to Broduer retiring)

#8) NY Islanders

Edited by hopper915