The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kastagir

Rookie Camp Set July 10-13th

Draftees and other prospects to take part in conditioning and on-ice workouts

Tuesday, 06.28.2011 / 4:00 PM / News By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Director of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team will hold its annual conditioning camp in Raleigh, July 10-13. Hurricanes Head Athletic Trainer/Strength and Conditioning Coach Peter Friesen will run the camp for 11 prospects, teaching the players proper conditioning techniques to help them prepare for careers in professional hockey.

A full roster of the players attending the camp can be found here.

In addition to physical training techniques and testing, the players at the camp will have seminars covering other areas including motivational techniques, media training and proper eating habits, including a trip to the grocery store with a nutritionist. On-ice sessions will be led by Francis, Assistant Coach Tom Barrasso, Assistant Coach/Development Coach Rod Brind’Amour and Director of Defensemen Development Glen Wesley, and will take place each day at The Polar Ice House in Wake Forest at 4:30 p.m., except Sunday, July 10, which will begin at 5 p.m. Media interested in covering the on-ice portions of conditioning camp should contact Mike Sundheim or Kyle Hanlin. The Polar Ice House is located within The Factory at 1839-200 S. Main St. in Wake Forest.

New roster as of July 6th:

http://hurricanes.nh...p11_numbers.pdf

roster.png

Definitely a sign of the times when young players are now getting social media training. Bruins prospects get to play paintball and have a cooking class hope ours get to have a little fun too.

Those of you lucky enough to attend will get an up close look at Murphy and the others. Don't forget to share your impressions. The more I read the more interesting Murphy becomes.

What exactly do they do with so few forwards and.... even less defencemen....and so many goalies.

Sounds a bit boring for a spectator.

What exactly do they do with so few forwards and.... even less defencemen....and so many goalies.

Its more about conditioning and training than actual playing.

I kinda agree with Legend, and TSA is right, but somebody put some time into these charts, guides and maps so I threw the link up there for those who might be interested.

I do love training camp though, that's a lot of fun, and not too far off.

If you attended 3 years ago, you would have seen Dalpe and Sutter being coached by Francis.

If you attended 2 years ago, you would have seen Dalpe's huge improvement between years and not be surprise at his rise in the organization. You would have also seen him dual with Paradis in driving to the net in 3 on 3 drills. Also would have watched Brian Dumoulin's huge wing span on defense, slow skating, and somewhat weak shot.

If you went last year, could have seen how so far ahead Skinner was than anyone on the ice. In addition, Faulk's thundering slapshot and his aggressiveness. Would also have learned that the last Staal is a bit of a slacker and why he was likely to be demoted.

So this year you could see how fast a skater Murphy is or if Rask is the real deal for a fallen star. Maybe the Alt kid is making the transition from football to hockey faster than expected.

Hockey starts is October. This is a chance to see what is in the pipeline. It is gives the kids a taste of an NHL practice so you see parts of the things you see when the Canes hit the ice in late summer.

To add on, it also lets you see these young men often before they get spoiled by the dollar signs. This is where I have had a chance to get candid photos prospects like Brandon Sutter, Boychuk, McBain, Borer, Chaput, Dalpe, Peters, Skinner, Kivisto, Dumoulin, Rodney, Murphy, and many others. You get to see them acting like kids with other kids, despite it being their job. While these names might not all be familiar, or spelled correctly, they are the building blocks from which our team has been constructed in the past and moving to the future. It is amazing how many people come just to get a hockey fix. It also made me feel better when I heard they traded Paradis before last season as I was not happy with what I saw compared the other prospects who drafted below him. (More evidence is that Paradis was traded again). In short, if you need a fix and want to see what is coming down the pipe in few years....unless your name is Jeff Skinner.

Mike Sundheim has posted the prospects with twitter accounts for all that follow twitter:

Follow visiting Canes draft picks @ryanmurphy24, @klowe4, @Sutts19

If an account is legit, it'll have a blue check mark next to their name on their twitter page.

bluearrow.png

My wife and kids made the trek to Raleigh today to see the conditioning camp. I had never done that before. It was fun. Lasted about one hour. Good to get at least a little hockey fix in July.

Went today and had a great time. Probably 100 fans showed up.

What a surprise to have Chad LaRose join all the rookies. You can see the difference in the skills and speed and its safe to say that he schooled them in more ways than one. Seems perfectly fitting that Chad was there. Say what you want about him but I was happy to see him helping out and being a leader as usual.

Thought Murphy looked good and his conditioning seemed better than most. He still had some energy while the others looked tired. His skating is amazing but his size is noticably smaller that the others.

Rask looked awesome as well. Big boy who looks light on his feet for his size. He seemed to stand out from the rest.

I thought that Lowe looked out of his league but seems to have some good skills.

Not bad for the first day and very enjoyable

Oh yeah..........JR was there too seeing how well his money was spent.

Thanks for the recaps, I'm sure everyone who wasn't able to go themselves appreciates the posts. :)

Some observations:

1. Place is nicer than rec-zone, and def colder, bring a jacket/fleece if in shorts/t-shirt

2. Murphy is not NHL ready- needs a year of gary roberts training/growing, rail thin and IMO that skinniness at "D" just can't be hidden. he def. can skate well though and think is a legit "D" man with some size/bulk put on-just hope they let him develop BOTH physically and on ice in juniors or minors, than force a thing.

3. mark alt def has the size you want in a "5" or "6" Defenseman, still needs skating work though

4. Victor rask is def. a better skater than expected yesterday, hope his development continues

5. brody sutter, seemed a little slow, maybe conditioning? but sure has the size you like

Seemed very casual and nothing too hard yesterday, expect today to be a little more intense in the 2nd day

Went to watch the Rookies yesterday...good crowd on hand to watch.

Guys that jump out at me were Murphy, Lowe, Rask, & Alt.

Murphy & Alt have really nice hard shots.

Murphy has NHL skills, but did seem a little on the small size to make the jump to the NHL. I'm still going with my prediction that he will do the rookie tournament, training camp, preseason, & play somewhere between 2-9 NHL regular season games before sending him back to juniors. He just looks like he needs more size and strength to play against NHL forwards. No need to rush him with 7 NHL D already signed.

Rask is an interesting case...he looked good, & has good size, but I don't know if he is ready for The AHL. I really do think he should stay in North America. Would love to see him play in Charlotte, but I would hate it if he ended up in the ECHL. Best thing might be to find a Junior team for him to play on...Now if we only had a connection to a Junior team.

Alt has a cannon for a shot. I was very impressed with him. I think he might be ready to turn pro by the end of his sophomore season.

Of the three camp invitees Krug impressed me the most. Smaller guy but seemed to be always in on the play.

Edited by rocheccw

I've been a couple of times, and it's not boring, but I understand what you are saying. It is a good way to get a mid summer hockey fix if you have the time.

I always think of last summer at the RecZone. The coaches worked the guys pretty hard. I waited around after the practice to get something signed and Coach Rowe came out. We talked for a minute and I mentioned something about him working the kids pretty good and he grinned from ear to ear. I think he enjoyed himself.

Rask is an interesting case...he looked good, & has good size, but I don't know if he is ready for The AHL. I really do think he should stay in North America. Would love to see him play in Charlotte, but I would hate it if he ended up in the ECHL. Best thing might be to find a Junior team for him to play on...Now if we only had a connection to a Junior team.

Rask was selected 3rd overall by the Calgary Hitmen in the CHL Import Draft. I definitely agree it would be more benefical to him to stay and play in North America than to return to Sweden.

Rask was selected 3rd overall by the Calgary Hitmen in the CHL Import Draft. I definitely agree it would be more benefical to him to stay and play in North America than to return to Sweden.

So, Does he have the right to play in the AHL because he has not signed with the Hitmen, nor in Sweden?

Have you seen him skate?

If, yes what is your opinion of where the 18YO should sign, with the Hitmen & play in the CHL, or with the Canes & play in the AHL?

So, Does he have the right to play in the AHL because he has not signed with the Hitmen, nor in Sweden?

Have you seen him skate?

If, yes what is your opinion of where the 18YO should sign, with the Hitmen & play in the CHL, or with the Canes & play in the AHL?

I have not seen him as I haven't been able to get out of work in time to get out to Wake Forrest to catch any of the praspect camp. Because he was drafted as an overseas player and not out of a Canadian junior program he is eligible to play in the AHL.

thanks for taking the time to post the pics! I cant wait till the wife and i celebrate our anniversary in nov with 3 games! Im pumped for hockey!