The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cmw00

Ever left a Restaurant without paying?

Well I gotta admit to something I once saw my dad do.

After getting the bill, he took a $10 bill and ripped it in half, putting half in his pocket and telling us to go.

My mom was furious and asked "why on earth did you do that?"

My dad said "that service and food was so bad, I wanted them to know I'd waste $10 to tell them."

We laughed for 10 minutes.

:lol:

Can't say I blame you. The slop that it sounds like was meant to be food should have been on the house. That's what good restaurants do when they screw up an order and can't fix it. And 45 minutes without a bill must have meant they didn't care about getting any money.

Makes you wonder what was going on in the back. Perhaps some scenes out of Rush Hour?

I can't say that I have... but even so, I can't rationalize the experience as he described it as being normal or acceptable, unless they're extremely busy (which they weren't). The only thing I can think of is they were severely shorthanded, but even so you wouldn't think a waiter would flat-out abandon the table.

I am not saying that the way these servers treated you all is good and I am definitely not condoning it at all but I will say that just because it doesn't look busy, doesn't mean they aren't backed up in the kitchen.

Now it could be that the waiter was just a total jerk and that's why he didn't attend to you like he is supposed to, but it probably would have been better to ask to talk to a manager and tell them and/or just not leave a tip IMO

I walked out on a $40 Applebee's bill about four years ago. It was one of the first times my then-wife and I took our daughter out to eat. So there was the three of us, and behind us in the corner was a group of about 10. We got seated first, by about 5 minutes, yet they got their orders taken first. That irritated me right off the bat.

My food wasn't prepared right. The server never followed up on our meal, my wife asked for sour cream three times - in passing only cause she wouldn't stop at our table cause she was too busy looking for the big tip at the big table. And then the capper, little one throws up as we're finishing up. So we use the few napkins we've got to clean it up the best we can, and she walks past us like we're inconvenicing her for asking for more napkins... which never get brought to us. As the waitress schmoozes with the big table behind us, the nice couple behind us lends us theirs. I get up to go to the front to get some more napkins, and our server passes me and tells me, "Oh, I was on my way with them," yet had NOTHING in her hands.

We cleaned up the mess and walked out. I haven't been to an Applebee's since.

Oh wow..that's no bueno. Well I work at an Applebee's right now here in Raleigh and I know we would get fired if our manager found out we treated a table that way ESPECIALLY if they found out (which they would) a table left. I mean I can understand why you all would do that...I just personally wouldn't do it.

Umm, if you actually ate and left without paying you are in the wrong regardless of how bad your service was. It's very simple.

If you had a problem with what was clearly horrible service then you go to management, express your concerns and look for some compromise on the bill. It's ok to not tip under those circumstances but to walk out after you have eaten the meal? You should feel guilty.

I have never worked in the restaurant business, other than while in school, so I don't have an agenda in that regard. If things were so bad you could have walked out without paying or eating.

I walked out on a $40 Applebee's bill about four years ago. It was one of the first times my then-wife and I took our daughter out to eat. So there was the three of us, and behind us in the corner was a group of about 10. We got seated first, by about 5 minutes, yet they got their orders taken first. That irritated me right off the bat.

I hate going to a restaurant and sitting near a big group of people. They will always get all the attention, because they will spend more money and leave the bigger tip. That's just the way it is.. :(

Umm, if you actually ate and left without paying you are in the wrong regardless of how bad your service was. It's very simple.

Very true, I won't debate that.

However, my theory was that it wasn't worth my time nor money to try and get an explanation. Like 300 said, there was no excuse. I've had some TERRIBLE service before and paid and left no tip. But the combination of everything that night... I wasn't giving anybody the benefit of the doubt.

I hate going to a restaurant and sitting near a big group of people. They will always get all the attention, because they will spend more money and leave the bigger tip. That's just the way it is.. :(

Actually 80% of the time that isn't true, at least in my experience. The reason they get "more" attention is because there are more of them. It takes more attention to keep 10 drinks refilled rather than 3 or 4

Bah, my family has only left without paying fully once. We were at Swiss Chalet. We had fairly nice staff and good food. Our bill came to around 75 bucks or something and all we had was about 10 bucks cash on us. Of course we had debit cards and stuff, but the power had gone out 3 times on us and finally on the third time it didn't come back on. It was some huge blackout in all of Toronto and since they couldn't process debit transactions with no power, they took our 10 bucks and we left. They told us to leave anyways. They wanted to close down and it isn't our fault for the power. I'm sure insurance will fix them up anyways.

I used to be a waitress at Lone Star Steakhouse in Cary, and I used to get aggravated when I would get the blame and no tip for the cooks not cooking something correctly. Aggghhh!!!! :D

But, as the stories go on here, there is no excuse for poor service from the waiter! That's just pure laziness and planning, and they need to find another job..obviously it's not for them!

I loved being a waitress..best job I ever had (other than the military...loved that too)!!

Very true, I won't debate that.

However, my theory was that it wasn't worth my time nor money to try and get an explanation. Like 300 said, there was no excuse. I've had some TERRIBLE service before and paid and left no tip. But the combination of everything that night... I wasn't giving anybody the benefit of the doubt.

Not to make this a moral debate but think about it this way.

You pull into a gas station in the middle of nowhere and all they have is full service. You wait forever for an attendant who finally shows up with a bad attitude and then heads back inside before starting the pump. When he finally makes his way back out without explanation, he tries to pump the wrong grade gas.

Then you ask him to check the oil since it's a full service only station. He disappears again and then finally gets around to checking the oil. He says it's low, you request it to be topped off and he comes back with the wrong oil. Back and forth you go while your quick stop has turned into a marathon.

So, terrible service with an even worse attitude and you didn't get what you ordered - it has been a huge frustration. Do you drive off without paying for your gas to protest the service?

The only thing about not reporting your experience to management is that they may never find out. The waiter/waitress could either void the bill themselves or make up a story about why it has to be voided. What you could have done is call the next day and speak to a manager and tell them your experience. I am surprised that you walked right by your waiter and it never clued with him that you did not pay.

My wife and I went to a pub/restaurant....ordered food to go. We sat at a table waiting, after a short time a waiter came by dropped the food and about $9 something in change. Strange since we didn't pay for the food yet. He didn't hang around long enough for me to explain anything. We left the change and took the food and took off. Felt bad about it afterwards, my wife still jokes that they have a pictures up in the restaurant "Wanted"

I utilize the patented Caniac97 method. I put myself thru college working every position in a restaurant. I know what it takes to open and close and everything in between (cook times, wait times, order flow, etc.). When ever the food or service is truly poor I will call a manager over. If I get lame excuses (the cook is sick, slow, didn't show up for work) then I remind the manager that his personnel issues are not my issues. More times than not the manager (chains will mostly do this) will comp the meal and on rare occasions they will offer a come back and dine on us for free. When I take advantage of the free dinner if the service is good I will generally tip the waiter what i figure to be the entire cost of the meal.

I use a sliding scale for the tip, if they just did average (just enough to get by) then i will tip 15%. if they went above and beyond then i will tip up to 30%. if they sucked but not enough to get the manager involved then i will leave a dollar.

The big thing in dealing with restaurant folks is to know your facts. if the restaurant is half full then there is no excuse for slow service, period!! if you had an hour wait to get in and the place is rocking then you can expect double the normal length of time to get your food. a good waiter though will check back with you frequently to make sure your beverages are topped off and to give you some sort of update.

Beware of the Waiter/Waitress scam!! Say your meal it $9 and you give them a $20 bill to pay for it. Some will bring you back all ones because in the back of most of our minds we will leave the ones not thinking that we just left an $11 tip for a $9 meal (this method is 70% foolproof particularly on busy nights - people are too busy trying to leave and don't do the math). When this happens I will leave a dollar tip and a note that says "don't do that again".

I’ve never ditched, but have complained to management for poor kitchen service and have been compensated to my liking. I won’t complain about poor waiter service, I’ll just leave an equally poor tip. (Like caniac97, I do overtip for excellent service.) Obviously, if it was real bad experience, I never go back.

Worst was the Mrs. and I were out with her parents. Waiter was fine, brought out the meals promptly, but my mother-in-laws meal was not what she had ordered. It goes back, we eat as she waits. And waits. And waits. Her meal finally comes out, and it’s the wrong meal again. She figures she’ll just eat it as she’s hungry, but it’s ice cold. We ended up finally getting her meal, free drinks (as we waited again), and ½ the meal.

A good manager knows when and how to compensate so you will come back again.

I think you are wrong. I can understand you being upset, but afterall you did eat their food even if it was frozen. You should have just gone to find the manager and tell him/her what happened and you probably would have gotten your food for free or half off.

I agree, if you eat the food you should pay for it. Even if I didn't think that before I have a new perspective after working in a restaurant.

For example, while we were in DC we decided to go to the Hard Rock Cafe there. We go in, and get our pager after being told it will be 45 minutes before we get a table. We go outside to sit down and immediately my friend says "There are open tables why won't they seat us" I explain to him that even if there are open tables it doesn't mean that our server isn't backed up with work to do so we would be sitting there anyway and they won't just sit us at a table because they know most people will start complaining about not getting taken care of right away. He says "Oh that wouldn't happen I wouldn't do that" We get called in 15 minutes after we go outside and we sit down. After sitting there for 5 minutes my friend says "Where is our server and why isn't he taking care of us!??!" So I was like "SEE? My point exactly" Anywho other than the fact it was quite a few minutes between the times he came to check on us our server was really nice and I still tipped him really really well, because I understood why he wasn't as attentive as my friend would have wanted him to be. I think it really does give you a new perspective on it.

I can see why you left but.... i'd actually have to say yelling your butt off at management would be the right way to go. You knew the food was crap before you got it and you ate it anyway thats kinda your fault.

not only that but if I knew the food I was about to eat was crap........doesnt the idea that it might not have been cooked at all...or properly come to mind? I woulda left regardless then risk probally eating something that fell on the floor a few times before it got on my plate. I mean come on... I know your pissed but think.... thats preety disgusting you took your chances and ate that.

I agree, if you eat the food you should pay for it. Even if I didn't think that before I have a new perspective after working in a restaurant.

For example, while we were in DC we decided to go to the Hard Rock Cafe there. We go in, and get our pager after being told it will be 45 minutes before we get a table. We go outside to sit down and immediately my friend says "There are open tables why won't they seat us" I explain to him that even if there are open tables it doesn't mean that our server isn't backed up with work to do so we would be sitting there anyway and they won't just sit us at a table because they know most people will start complaining about not getting taken care of right away. He says "Oh that wouldn't happen I wouldn't do that" We get called in 15 minutes after we go outside and we sit down. After sitting there for 5 minutes my friend says "Where is our server and why isn't he taking care of us!??!" So I was like "SEE? My point exactly" Anywho other than the fact it was quite a few minutes between the times he came to check on us our server was really nice and I still tipped him really really well, because I understood why he wasn't as attentive as my friend would have wanted him to be. I think it really does give you a new perspective on it.

Have you ever worked in a restaurant?? the name of the game is turning tables - get em in get em fed and get em out!! in the average restaurant the table should turn at least 5 times (turning a table means a person sits down, gets fed, pays, leaves, next person). if the waiter is slow and not turning their tables fast enough they are costing the restaurant money. when i worked as a manager we monitored table turns and someone that was only turning a table once or twice a night was written up the first time and fired the second. alot of time and money goes into training so if the person can't cut it then you cut your losses and find someone that can. the better waiters/waitresses know this and that is why the give the best and speediest service. with an average tip of say $5, if you only turn the table twice then you have only made $10 on it but five times equals $25. this is how good waiters/waitresses make the big bucks!!