The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Exhibition Game in Charlotte

I received an email from the Charlotte Checkers asking me to sign up for their six pack of pre-season games in order to guarantee seats for the Canes vs. Jets game in Charlotte. They have my contact info after I attended a couple of the playoff games there this spring. Is this game not included in the Canes' STH package? I'd like to see that game, but I don't want to buy a whole package just for one game. No disrespect toward the Checkers, but Charlotte is a bit far to drive to in order to watch AHL preseason games.

I'm thinking/hoping that Bobcats STH get the 'Canes preseason game and 'Canes STH get the Bobcats pre-season game? It'd make the most sense if they were hoping to expand fan interest as they'd have a large number of people in the seats that way.

OK, caneswincup, I see your logic. But I'm not interested in watching the Bobcats. I paid for Canes tickets, not the Bobcats.

I hate the NBA, so no amount of cross marketing is going to make me go and watch it. Not to mention those bums will be locked out come September so the game won't even be played.

Tickets went on sale this morning to all STH's at 10am. Not sure how sales are going but they were open to Checker's STH's first, then us.

The more I look at the preseason schedule, the less I like it. Six total preseason games, three away and one "home" game in Charlotte. So out of the six games, only two will be at the RBC Center. And the "home" game in Charlotte, we have to pay for it. $230 for two tix equivalent to where we sit at the RBC, which is about twice what we pay as STHs. No thanks. I hope they fill the house in Charlotte with new fans.

I get why they're doing this and it should help promote the team in Charlotte but I'd much rather see the Checkers play a game or two in Raleigh. The Red Sox farm team plays one summer series in Boston and they advertise it as "the Futures of Fenway series". The ticket prices are very reasonable so a whole family can attend and they still make a ton of money on concessions. There are plenty of nights the RBC Center is vacant when they could be taking in more income.

I get why they're doing this and it should help promote the team in Charlotte but I'd much rather see the Checkers play a game or two in Raleigh. The Red Sox farm team plays one summer series in Boston and they advertise it as "the Futures of Fenway series". The ticket prices are very reasonable so a whole family can attend and they still make a ton of money on concessions. There are plenty of nights the RBC Center is vacant when they could be taking in more income.

Yeah, I also see why they're doing this. But it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. As a STH, I have to pay to see a "home" game in Charlotte. And I'll bet the Bobcats game here won't be included in my ticket package. I'd have to buy that game, assuming I chose to go. So I lose both ways.

Edited by g105

Yeah, I also see why they're doing this. But it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. As a STH, I have to pay to see a "home" game in Charlotte. And I'll bet the Bobcats game here won't be included in my ticket package. I'd have to buy that game, assuming I chose to go. So I lose both ways.

Are you sure the Charlotte game is included in our ticket package? I was under the impression it was a separate deal and that's why they had a special pre-sale for the Canes STH's this morning at 10am. Did you get this info from your ticket rep?

it would make more sense for the game to be included in the Checkers STH package. why should I drive at least 2.5 hours each way to watch a pre-season game?

Are you sure the Charlotte game is included in our ticket package? I was under the impression it was a separate deal and that's why they had a special pre-sale for the Canes STH's this morning at 10am. Did you get this info from your ticket rep?

TSA, that's my point. This game IS a separate deal. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. As I understand it, the Charlotte game is NOT included in our ticket package, hence I'd have to pay for it. I haven't talked to my ticket rep, but the Checkers sent me an email notice that tickets for the game went on sale for Canes STHs at 10:00 this morning. Special code is chsth. The prices are much higher than for a regular season game at the RBC Center. Don't know how potential fans in Charlotte will react to those prices.

I like what you say they do with the Red Sox farm team; discount the game, bring in potential fans, get them interested, and make money from concessions, etc.

I hope the STH's didn't do any damage as they rushed the doors to get into the ticket office this morning at 10:00 am.

:lol: funny Coastal

g105, I get it now. Were the ticket prices really that high? That doesn't make too much sense. The idea from the Red Sox isn't so much to increase interest as it is to find a way to way to make money in a vacant baseball stadium and bill it as a way to have inexpensive family night out. Its a very smart marketing plan, kinda wish the Canes had one. (hope I didn't say that too loud :hide: )

Just bought my tickets for this. 30$ three rows from the glass behind the goal isnt too bad. Im waiting to hear if they are gonna do some sort of fanfest. I read somewhere they were gonna try and do some kind of public outreach thing.

Just snagged my tickets to this. The preseason game near my birthday is an annual tradition. I'm excited I don't have to drive 3+ hours for this one and I get to see us hopefully destroy the Jets. 40 bucks a pop for near center ice mid lower level isn't too bad IMO.

Just bought my tickets for this. 30$ three rows from the glass behind the goal isnt too bad. Im waiting to hear if they are gonna do some sort of fanfest. I read somewhere they were gonna try and do some kind of public outreach thing.

Agreed. I bought 2 in the same section. Looking forward to the trip to Charlotte and stopping at the card show at Concord Mills on the way down.

I don't see myself driving 3 hours from Rocky Mount to Charlotte to see a preseason game. I'd much rather catch a meaningful Checkers game later on. Preseason hockey is good only because it's hockey after a summer with no hockey. I usually make the first home preseason game for that reason and will probably let my daughter use the tickets for the 2nd one.

The only way I would go to the Bobcats game at the RBC would require me to be bound, gagged, stuffed in the trunk of a car, and dragged into the building against my will.

I don't see myself driving 3 hours from Rocky Mount to Charlotte to see a preseason game. I'd much rather catch a meaningful Checkers game later on. Preseason hockey is good only because it's hockey after a summer with no hockey. I usually make the first home preseason game for that reason and will probably let my daughter use the tickets for the 2nd one.

The only way I would go to the Bobcats game at the RBC would require me to be bound, gagged, stuffed in the trunk of a car, and dragged into the building against my will.

With their lockout dragging on I don't see that happening, at least not this year.

This. Fantastic idea.

I don't think any pre-season game is included with STH. The reason the orignal poster was contacted was because of a email blast to which most people who bought tickets in Charlotte live in Charlotte. I have been to games in San Jose, PHX, LA, Anaheim, Denver and others and I get all their email offers including deals on upcoming concerts. All part of ticketmaster.

Canes did have a deal on tickets for Canes STHs in an email. Not sure if it is still valid. Tickets were fairly cheap I thought. I plan on driving down on Sunday and driving back for several reasons but to support the canes.

On that note, I have no problem with the Canes playing in Charlotte to create new fans but more importantly....Charlotte Sponsors !!!!! (Hey Lowes and Bojangles !!!!!!! ). Not to mention others

Good business move