The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nhbeast

LaRose Signs - 2years at $1.5 and $1.9 mil

McKenzie is reporting on Twitter that LaRose signs a 2yr deal to stay with the Canes!

McKenzie says 2 years for LaRose at $1.5m next season and $1.9m the season after. Cap hit of $1.7m.

Canes Agree to Terms with Forward Chad LaRose

Winger scored 16 goals in his sixth NHL season in 2010-11; agrees to two-year deal

Wednesday, 06.29.2011 / 10:32 AM / News By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with right wing Chad LaRose on a two-year contract. The deal will pay LaRose $1.5 million in 2011-12, and $1.9 million in 2012-13.

“Chad has been one of my favorite players right through his entire Compuware career, and it is my hope that he is a lifelong player with the organization,” said Rutherford. “His work ethic and locker room presence drive our team, whether it’s a game or a practice, and he excels in his role on the ice for the Hurricanes.”

LaRose, 29, ranked sixth among Hurricanes with 16 goals in 2010-11, and matched his career-high for points in a season with 31. The Fraser, MI, native was fourth on the team in hits (196), and skated in a career-high 82 games. LaRose (5’10”, 181 lbs.) played his 400th NHL game for the Hurricanes on March 29 at Washington, and has now scored at least 10 goals in each of the last four seasons.

LaRose is a product of the Compuware youth hockey system, and has played for the organization at nearly every level, including youth hockey (Compuware), junior hockey (Plymouth), the ECHL (Florida) and the NHL (Carolina). Signed by the Hurricanes as an undrafted free agent after scoring 61 goals in his final season of junior hockey with Plymouth, LaRose has totaled 64 goals, 80 assists (144 points) and 209 penalty minutes in 406 career NHL games with the Hurricanes. He has also posted four goals and eight assists (12 points) in 39 Stanley Cup playoff games, including 21 of Carolina’s 25 games during the team’s 2006 run to the Stanley Cup championship.

Edited by TSA
added press release

Fair deal, LaRose did pretty well for himself.

Patience grasshoppers. ;) See how quickly JR can change his tune?

Good catch nhbeast, edited your title for you.

Edited by TSA

Looks like it is true. LaRose is a hard working forward. Perfect third line with the ability to jump up when needed.

Just sicken me.

$1.7 for larose to get 30 points, and 4.5 mill to pitaken to be orced to #1 "D" duty.. MUCH rather ahve taken the 1.7 + 4.5= $6.2 mill and maybe only need another another 500K-1 mil to get that top line 7 mill "D"-men that we have so deperately needed, that can play 25+ minutes and hold down a "D"... Why, why, go 'cheap" and back to the drawing board and same complaints and "close" again with same players..

This $1.7 could ahve been used alot better to upgrade a position

Just sicken me.

$1.7 for larose to get 30 points, and 4.5 mill to pitaken to be orced to #1 "D" duty.. MUCH rather ahve taken the 1.7 + 4.5= $6.2 mill and maybe only need another another 500K-1 mil to get that top line 7 mill "D"-men that we have so deperately needed, that can play 25+ minutes and hold down a "D"... Why, why, go 'cheap" and back to the drawing board and same complaints and "close" again with same players..

So, which dman do you suppose we go get? And who do we trade to get them? Cuz there aren't any ufa's that fit this description, so it would have to be a trade. Just wondering what if you were thinking of anyone in particular.

Just sicken me.

Guess it's a good thing we don't pay per point :) I don't see where many teams were willing to let go of their UFA's guess we will see who is still available come Friday.Some of them were out of our reach no matter what their numbers are...Just my opinion but Money does not make a "star" hockey player...talent and passion does and at the end of the day "talent" is in the eye of the beholder. I'd rather pay Larose his 1.5/1.9 to play with passion and fire every night..rather than some "star" 5 or 6 million to just show up...

Edited by Pkling40

It's a hefty premium to pay for the "intangibles" that Rosey brings to the locker room. I have always thought that Rosey was more of the 4th line, agitator, pesky, penalty killer than he was a highly skilled forward. 3.4 large over 2 years is a lot for that. He got the big money (for him) contract last time and I highly question that there was another team out there looking at spending that kind of money on LaRose.

Edited by captain_caniac

It's a hefty premium to pay for the "intangibles" that Rosey brings to the locker room. I have always thought that Rosey was more of the 4th line, agitator, pesky, penalty killer than he was a highly skilled forward. 3.4 large over 2 years is a lot for that. He got the big money (for him) contract last time and I highly question that there was another team out there looking at spending that kind of money on LaRose.

When you consider that Samsonov was making almost $3M per year for the same production, I think getting LaRose (15-20 goals, plus his energy) for less than $2M per season is a good deal.

Plus he's a fan favorite. JR may need more of those to keep the seats warm. :-)

When you consider that Samsonov was making almost $3M per year for the same production, I think getting LaRose (15-20 goals, plus his energy) for less than $2M per season is a good deal.

Plus he's a fan favorite. JR may need more of those to keep the seats warm. :-)

I wouldn't compare this deal with a known bad deal to try to justify it.

As far as the fan favorite thing goes, I have my favorites just like everybody else does. I wouldn't want JR to overspend to keep any of them. It may be a good deal, only time will tell. At least it won't be a $6M over a bunch of years bad deal if it doesn't pan out. It isn't a huge overpayment.

I wouldn't compare this deal with a known bad deal to try to justify it.

As far as the fan favorite thing goes, I have my favorites just like everybody else does. I wouldn't want JR to overspend to keep any of them. It may be a good deal, only time will tell. At least it won't be a $6M over a bunch of years bad deal if it doesn't pan out. It isn't a huge overpayment.

Samsonov wasn't a bad deal until the last season which is the risk you take in the final contract year of an older player. If you look at point production and some versatility, LaRose isn't being that overpaid and his -21 rating would be more concerning if he wasn't forced to play top 6 minutes.

Samsonov wasn't a bad deal until the last season which is the risk you take in the final contract year of an older player. If you look at point production and some versatility, LaRose isn't being that overpaid and his -21 rating would be more concerning if he wasn't forced to play top 6 minutes.

I personally didn't think that the Samsonov deal was as bad as many did. I didn't think Mo knew how to utilize him. I was just pointing out that to compare any deal to a deal that somebody thinks is bad isn't the best way to justify it. A deal is either good or bad.

Even if it turns out bad, it isn't but so bad at that dollar amount.

I think LaRose's biggest problem last year is he missed Cullen, plus he was bounced all over the lineup, specifically into the first line where he never should have been for more than a game or 3 to fill in for injuries and the like. Put him on the third line consistently with Sutter and let them build some chemistry there and on the kill and I think this will be a good deal. Bounce him around like they did Samsonov and they will get more like last year.

I personally didn't think that the Samsonov deal was as bad as many did. I didn't think Mo knew how to utilize him. I was just pointing out that to compare any deal to a deal that somebody thinks is bad isn't the best way to justify it. A deal is either good or bad.

Even if it turns out bad, it isn't but so bad at that dollar amount.

I don't recall many thinking Sammy's deal was bad, most here understood he was getting pushed out by the youth because his production was dwindling. There just wasn't anywhere to put him in the line up that made sense so trading him at the deadline was really the only option. As someone who has followed him since his rookie year in Boston, I would have been very sad to see his contract bought out so I was glad to see JR trade him.

BTW: Welcome back :)

I think LaRose's biggest problem last year is he missed Cullen, plus he was bounced all over the lineup, specifically into the first line where he never should have been for more than a game or 3 to fill in for injuries and the like. Put him on the third line consistently with Sutter and let them build some chemistry there and on the kill and I think this will be a good deal. Bounce him around like they did Samsonov and they will get more like last year.

I agree, LaRose has never tried be anything he wasn't and always brought he same energy wherever he was played. Its not his fault he was put into situations over his head and mixed and matched between line mates all season. I think it'll work out fine if he's used correctly.

Rosey's solid, and one heck of a sparkplug. I know it gets the fans fired up to see a guy his size taking on the biggest and baddest dude the other guys have to offer (an incident between him and Chara from this past year comes to mind, that's the kind of player he is), and hopefully the players respond just like we do in the seats to his energy when his games on. Welcome Back Chad!

Too much money for LaRose. Keep him on the 3rd/4th line and let him kill penalties. I hope we can actually get a 2nd line center, and a real 3rd line winger so Sutter isn't stuck with wingers like LaRose and Tlusty again for the majority of the season. Unless JR really does some work to improve this team I'm pretty upset about this signing.

So, which dman do you suppose we go get? And who do we trade to get them? Cuz there aren't any ufa's that fit this description, so it would have to be a trade. Just wondering what if you were thinking of anyone in particular.

tomas kaberle, bryan mccabe, ed jovonowski and cheaper james weisneski and maybe Doughty if kings doesnt make him an offer as a RFA and/or Bogasian who we can make a qualifying offer for a 3rd/4th "D" men

My biggest concern with bringing LaRose back was the contract terms. He didn't hold out until July 1 for an undeserved raise and JR didn't provide one. I'm okay with that. One could debate the amount he's paid, but I think it's fair to say he's got more offensive upside than Dwyer, who we all know does many of the same things but makes 1\3 less money.

I can't speak for everyone, but IMO LaRose is a 3rd or 4th line guy who should realistically be expected to put up about 30 points from that position. Lo and behold, that's what he's provided through the course of his last contract. When he's slotted on that 3rd line wing, in a checking role, he's effective at even strength. He kills penalties, and is good at it.

When I reflect on what LaRose does best when viewed relative to what the expectations should be, he pretty much defines a 3rd-4th line NHL'r. With that said, I can only see the amount he's paid as being in question.

Maybe some of us have a tainted view of LaRose because he went out and did anything and everything that was asked of him, including spending most of the last year slotted out of the range of his natural ability. Or maybe he's just a scapegoat, cause we see a lot of talk from the front office but little action that results in significant changes in personnel, particularly from a skill standpoint. Either way, if you view him within his natural skill set, I'm fine with it.

tomas kaberle, bryan mccabe, ed jovonowski and cheaper james weisneski and maybe Doughty if kings doesnt make him an offer as a RFA and/or Bogasian who we can make a qualifying offer for a 3rd/4th "D" men

If you think Wiz is going to be cheap to get, here is the offer he may have

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta

Early indications are the Blue Jackets have an excellent shot at signing Wizniewski. Told ballpark deal could be 5-years, $5.2M-$5.5M per.

Doughty is a pipe dream as is Bogosian.

Looks like it is true. LaRose is a hard working forward. Perfect third line fouth line with the ability to jump up when needed.

fixed :coollaugh:

Happy for LaRose, you can't blame him for taking a good offer, I like it as long as he isn't forced up to the top line, I think a lot of that -21 came from that. I heard him on 99.9 on my way in to work and he said it came down to where he was happy the most and didn't care too much about the money (thus not going to the deadline). Loyalty does run deep with some of these guys and LaRose and PK/JR are the picture next to the definition in the dictionary.

i see [its a nightnamre] jussi fitting in with the pens.. we better sign him and cole.. i got a bad feeling..

p.s glad to see alot of new members out here chatting..