The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nhbeast

LaRose Signs - 2years at $1.5 and $1.9 mil

fixed :coollaugh:

Happy for LaRose, you can't blame him for taking a good offer, I like it as long as he isn't forced up to the top line, I think a lot of that -21 came from that. I heard him on 99.9 on my way in to work and he said it came down to where he was happy the most and didn't care too much about the money (thus not going to the deadline). Loyalty does run deep with some of these guys and LaRose and PK/JR are the picture next to the definition in the dictionary.

:facepalm: We can play who's on third who's on fourth. Nice try. I happen to like LaRose on the third line. He can check, add energy, score some and isn't afraid to hit even if he does occasionally bounce off his check. La Rose has had to claw his way onto this team and I think he knows this is the organization that gave him that reward for his hard work. If he ends up on the 4th line so be it because I think he will still give his best. Thanks for the fix, lol

Considering Laichs got a 4.5 mil deal for less scoring. I am guessing this is all part of the salary cap going ...up....and up....and up....

1.5 and 1.9 mil for a 3rd liner.... How many games will he play on the first line during the Mo blender this year I wonder.

If you think Wiz is going to be cheap to get, here is the offer he may have

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta

Early indications are the Blue Jackets have an excellent shot at signing Wizniewski. Told ballpark deal could be 5-years, $5.2M-$5.5M per.

Doughty is a pipe dream as is Bogosian.

By 'cheaper" meant 5 mill, not the $6.5 -7 mill of a top NHL "D" men, whcih is what the offer seems to be. : )

And just think with larose, we have seen the best and no more upside left at 29.. so paying 1.7 mill for 30 points IS overpating for a 29 year old 3rd or 4th line guy. you pay that much because of "potential" and hoping the young players game will go to the next level and at this pointwe all know that isn't happening with larose.you can get 10-15 goal, 30 point guys for 1/2 that money is the point.heck jussi jokinen, who is a much better player than larose made $1.7 mill last year

Edited by canes-in-7

you can get 10-15 goal, 30 point guys for 1/2 that money is the point.heck jussi jokinen, who is a much better player than larose made $1.7 mill last year

Can you give a couple of examples of guys making 1/2 LaRose's money who have scored 30 points over the last three years? Even if you can, I would question the "you can get" part, but I may be surprised. Jokinen is not comparable, everyone knows he was way underpaid for what he produced. (And they both made $1.9 last year, $1.7 was the cap hit).

Can you give a couple of examples of guys making 1/2 LaRose's money who have scored 30 points over the last three years? Even if you can, I would question the "you can get" part, but I may be surprised. Jokinen is not comparable, everyone knows he was way underpaid for what he produced. (And they both made $1.9 last year, $1.7 was the cap hit).

brandon morrison avg $1.7 mill and 40 pts yr the last few years

david moss 30+ points, 1.2 mill/yr

brad marchad, 40+ points, $600K

teddy purcell, 51 points,$750,000

dominic moore, 32 points, $1 mill

nathan gerbe, 31 points, $850,000

andrej sekera, 29 points $1.2 mill

thomas kopecky , 42 points, $1.2 mill

brian bickell, 37 points, $500,000

troy brower, 36 points $1,050,000

david jones, 45 points, $850,000

jakob voracek, 47 points, $787,000

and that is just up to the "C"'s in the league( obvuously ALOT more)... that make under 1.7 mill( and many 1/2 as much) and 30+ points

Edited by canes-in-7

- Same money as LaRose, and is 37 years old..

- Scored 30+ points exactly twice in 5 seasons.

- Marchand is on an ECL, cant really compare that.

- 51 points last season, but before that 9, 6, and 16 points.... need to see it again.

- 32 points last year, 41 in 08-09 with the Leafs. However, in 6 other seasons/partial seasons, he failed to reach 20 points. Injuries have had something to do with that.

- Gerbe signed a 3 yr deal with Buffalo with a cap hit of $1.433 million, so that's pretty close to LaRose ($1.7 hit) money with the same points. Granted, he is younger than LaRose but I don't see Gerbe as more than a 40 point player either.

- 34 points last season. In 3 prior seasons/partial seasons his best was 22pts. The other two he had 11 & 8....

- Signed a 4 year deal with Florida at $3m per.....

- 37 points in his first full season with the Hawks. He is under contract though so we would have needed to trade for him.

- is an RFA, and will be getting more than LaRose I am certain.

- Signed a 1 year deal for $2.5 million.

- Also an RFA, lets see what he signs for.

So as far as this list goes, we couldn't realistically get any of these players. Also, several of them have re-signed for more money already. I think LaRose's contract is just fine for what he brings. Maybe just a TAD on the high side, but seeing what similar point producers are getting paid, it's really not bad at all. My point is, guys who scored 30-40 points don't make less money for long. Eventually, you have to pay them.

- Same money as LaRose, and is 37 years old..

- Scored 30+ points exactly twice in 5 seasons.

- Marchand is on an ECL, cant really compare that.

- 51 points last season, but before that 9, 6, and 16 points.... need to see it again.

- 32 points last year, 41 in 08-09 with the Leafs. However, in 6 other seasons/partial seasons, he failed to reach 20 points. Injuries have had something to do with that.

- Gerbe signed a 3 yr deal with Buffalo with a cap hit of $1.433 million, so that's pretty close to LaRose ($1.7 hit) money with the same points. Granted, he is younger than LaRose but I don't see Gerbe as more than a 40 point player either.

- 34 points last season. In 3 prior seasons/partial seasons his best was 22pts. The other two he had 11 & 8....

- Signed a 4 year deal with Florida at $3m per.....

- 37 points in his first full season with the Hawks. He is under contract though so we would have needed to trade for him.

- is an RFA, and will be getting more than LaRose I am certain.

- Signed a 1 year deal for $2.5 million.

- Also an RFA, lets see what he signs for.

So as far as this list goes, we couldn't realistically get any of these players. Also, several of them have re-signed for more money already. I think LaRose's contract is just fine for what he brings. Maybe just a TAD on the high side, but seeing what similar point producers are getting paid, it's really not bad at all. My point is, guys who scored 30-40 points don't make less money for long. Eventually, you have to pay them.

#boom

Nice reply, it does show that for what he can bring to the table the contract LaRose just signed is fairly reasonable. canes-in-7 might be thinking more along the lines of rookies with entry level contracts. If LaRose can stay the whole year on the 3rd line with Sutter then I think he can definitely improve upon his -21 and maybe accumulate a few more points dependent upon who is on the other wing.

Thanks for the examples. You are seeing where I was going - maybe slightly overpaid, but a known quality with relative consistency is worth more than a lot of people think. The unique relationship that Chad has with the organization is worth that extra little bit to JR, that is obvious and hard to argue against.

Interesting to me how just a few years and an extra million or so on the contract change people's perception of a player like LaRose. Like nhbeast said, eventually you have to pay them.

So as far as this list goes, we couldn't realistically get any of these players. Also, several of them have re-signed for more money already. I think LaRose's contract is just fine for what he brings. Maybe just a TAD on the high side, but seeing what similar point producers are getting paid, it's really not bad at all. My point is, guys who scored 30-40 points don't make less money for long. Eventually, you have to pay them

And that's MY POINT, we paid chad the LAST contract, he hasn't improved the last 2 years( and his -21 argues may even be already declining), so why at 29, pay that numner again?, and not go with the younger players in 3rd and 4th line? that have UPSIDE potential,players like boychuck, bowman,dalpe etc all make alot less and alot younger and as seen many teams have these 3rd or 4th liners making 600K and IMPROVING from 11,20 to 30+ ( as i only did 5 teams so about 60+ more examples out there). Just my personal feeling that the $1.7 could have been used to add a better player( be it a 2 mill slot to 3.7).. a $3 mill slot to $4.7.. and either go with younger players or a RFA..Guess tired of the 'same ole. same ole" whic results in same ole not making playoff's, sme old not making playoff's, but have our fan favorites

Edited by canes-in-7

And that's MY POINT, we paid chad the LAST contract, he hasn't improved the last 2 years( and his -21 argues may even be already declining), so why at 29, pay that numner again?, and not go with the younger players in 3rd and 4th line? that have UPSIDE potential,players like boychuck, bowman,dalpe etc all make alot less and alot younger and as seen many teams have these 3rd or 4th liners making 600K and IMPROVING from 11,20 to 30+ ( as i only did 5 teams so about 60+ more examples out there). Just my personal feeling that the $1.7 could have been used to add a better player( be it a 2 mill slot to 3.7).. a $3 mill slot to $4.7.. and either go with younger players or a RFA..Guess tired of the 'same ole. same ole" whic results in same ole not making playoff's, sme old not making playoff's, but have our fan favorites

I would agree with your point.

Also, and let me say that I am anything BUT an Erik Cole fan, I would have rather seen JR let LaRose walk, and sign Cole. JR could find penalty killing energy players via trade or Free Agency. But, because of the depleted UFA pool, Cole is almost the "cream of the crop" of this summer's UFAs, meaning someone is going to overpay him this year. I've been critical of Cole bazillions of times, but he brought his 'A' game last season. My point is, Cole is going to be a lot harder to replace than LaRose would have been. At least based on last season's performance.

My bet is that some team will give Cole a 1 year contract worth 4-4.5 million.

I would agree with your point.

Also, and let me say that I am anything BUT an Erik Cole fan, I would have rather seen JR let LaRose walk, and sign Cole. JR could find penalty killing energy players via trade or Free Agency. But, because of the depleted UFA pool, Cole is almost the "cream of the crop" of this summer's UFAs, meaning someone is going to overpay him this year. I've been critical of Cole bazillions of times, but he brought his 'A' game last season. My point is, Cole is going to be a lot harder to replace than LaRose would have been. At least based on last season's performance.

My bet is that some team will give Cole a 1 year contract worth 4-4.5 million.

great point! and anothergood way to look at it, can't imagine the canes and cole are more than 500-1 mill part on their negotiations( let's say cole want's 4.25-4.5 and canes offering 3.75 mill)... you culd instead sign Cole, and go with as said any of the minor leaguers and be beter than with no cole and chad.. give me the cole/boyman or boychuck over the cd and some extra money in bank( or a much less than cole addition at 2.5 mill)

BTw just an update of F/ that would ahve been a better use of that $1.7 mill:

anthony stewart- 800K and had 39 points and 15 goals :coollaugh:

danieal carcillo-1 year, $775,000

Chuck Kobasew- $1.25(2 years, $2.5 million)

Marty Reasoner- 2 years 2.7 mill

Steve Sullivan- 1 yr 1.5 mill

Chad is (most likely) a huge locker room presence. He's effective on the PK and when the WHOLE team is lacking energy, he brings it. Im glad he resigned. He's the kind of pesky player all teams need.

BTw just an update of F/ that would ahve been a better use of that $1.7 mill:

danieal carcillo-1 year, $775,000

Hate to see Carcillo here. He is in the same class (as in no class) as Avery and Cooke.

Hate to see Carcillo here. He is in the same class (as in no class) as Avery and Cooke.

I think I'd pay Carcillo that amount not to be here.

I like LaRose, as I'm sure many can tell from the posts I've made.

But I do agree that, given similar signings and where he's slotted, that we're over-paying for him.

I hope he has a breakout season. He seems to be hovering in that 15 goals per year range and not a lot of assists. Of course, if he and Sutter and Stewart combine to be a shutdown force, and if his +/- remains closer to Sutter's, then that'll be good.

But when his contract is up in 2 years, JR really needs to consider how much energy/fan favorite/locker room leader are worth. When you look at Stewart making $1.9M over two seasons to potentially produce more than Chad at half the cost, then I definitely have some concerns.

The other thing is: it's not a tradeable contract.

But when his contract is up in 2 years, JR really needs to consider how much energy/fan favorite/locker room leader are worth. When you look at Stewart making $1.9M over two seasons to potentially produce more than Chad at half the cost, then I definitely have some concerns.

The other thing is: it's not a tradeable contract.

I thought JR should have made that decision this season and you are dead on about the contract. I know LaRose is an energy guy and a fan favorite, but just how much of a premium does that add to the value of a contract? No other GM in the league signs him at anything close to that.

Meh... I didn't like this signing. Won't like it during the year when I'm watching him take stupid penalties while we're trying to score with the man advantage with 3 minutes left in the game like he did how many times last season. Money could have been put to better use by bringing up someone from Charlotte to occupy his slot and putting the rest toward a trade or something for a legitimate scoring forward for the top 6.