The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Free Agency 2011

Thought I would throw up a catch all for discussing the non-Canes free agency signings and related movements.

Starting off with a couple of ex-Canes...

Mike Commodore was placed on waivers for buyout by CBJ. I think we all knew he was way overpaid on that contract, but I was surprised at how bad it got so fast. Sounds like he got out of favor with the new coach. Kind of sad to see a guy like him burn out so quick, he's only 31. But you don't get much conditioning swinging a golf club and chasing the ponies over the summer.

One name I was surprised not to see bought out was Michael Leighton. He still has a year left on his contract over $1M, which is a lot to pay an AHL goalie. Maybe they figure someone will trade for him? Or they will keep Bob back in the AHL?

Another name not bought out was Wade Redden. As opposed to guys like Commie and Souray who fell out with mgmt, by all reports Redden went down to the AHL and worked hard and played most of the season. I know he's still got 3 years left but it seems crazy to keep him on the payroll full-time and push him to another season in the minors.

Anyone care to speculate on where Brad Richards ends up? My guess is Philly, but I expect Buffalo and NYR to make a run at him. TOR too probably but can't see him going there.

I dont mind moving this to the Hurricane Talk section since thats the most frequented. If the Canes make a move it'll get its own thread anyway.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie Confirming James Wisniewski to CBJ for 6 years at $33M.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie As per @GMillerTSN, DET signs Patrick Eaves to a 3 year extension.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie VAN is also close to agreeing to terms on a 2-year deal with Chris Higgins, but hearing it's not quite done yet.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie Confirming previous reports that VAN has signed Sami Salo to a one-year deal worth $2M.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie MIN re-signs goalie Harding to 1 year deal at $750K.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie LAK and Handzus are still communicating but the big Slovak centre will likely be testing free agency today.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie Lines of communication still open between VAN and Raffi Torres but he's going to market today at 12 noon ET.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie Defenceman Jan Hejda (CBJ) is going to the open market and will draw significant interest.

I don't see JR making a big splash today. With the exception of seeing what happens with Erik Cole, I doubt we'll hear anything until its time to pick up some loose change towards the end of the day. I guess if Erik signs elsewhere though, that could really change things quickly.

Buffalo fans should be pleased, their new owner is ready to drop some big time cash.

OK then... :)

Glad to see Patty Eaves has found a home in Detroit. He's become their version of LaRose. I always liked him here.

Is it just me or are Erhoff and Wisniewski overpaid? Not that that's shocking or anything, got to find the next Souray/Redden.

I'm going to guess Cole ends up in Philly.

Richards to NYR.

Jagr to Pens.

Ryan Carter to Canes.

Ty Conklin to Canes.

Trade with cap strapped teams goes through as soon as Cole signs with Philly. Wish I could guess which team & which top 6 player...

Would you take a chance on Cam Barker for say 1M for 1 year?

Just got one wrong:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567951&navid=DL|PIT|home

Pens withdraw offer to Jagr.

How many more will I get wrong... :twilight-zone:

Edited by rocheccw

I'm going to guess Cole ends up in Philly.

Richards to NYR.

Jagr to Pens.

Ryan Carter to Canes.

Ty Conklin to Canes.

Trade with cap strapped teams goes through as soon as Cole signs with Philly. Wish I could guess which team & which top 6 player...

Would you take a chance on Cam Barker for say 1M for 1 year?

I might, its likely he's in desperate need of a fresh start in a market known to do wonders for the league misfits.

I bet breakfast at the Cole residence is a little tense this morning. I think he really wants to sign here but I can't blame Cole for wanting to get fair market value for his last big contract. I just hope the wait doesn't end up biting both him and all of us all in the butt. Plus, I'm sure sleeping in the garage must be getting old :lol:

How many more will I get wrong... :twilight-zone:

Cole to Philly?

The Jagr saga has been hilarious to follow over the last couple of days. Sounded like they were ready to go for today, but that's Jagr for you. All probably just a big tease.

Interesting to hear talk of Belanger...I thought there were some bridges burned there, but it sounds like (from Canes Country) that was mostly between the player and Lavi. If he was willing to come back here he'd be a very good pickup as 4th line center.

Interesting to hear talk of Belanger...I thought there were some bridges burned there, but it sounds like (from Canes Country) that was mostly between the player and Lavi. If he was willing to come back here he'd be a very good pickup as 4th line center.

If Sutter is moving up to the 2nd line, doesn't that mean we need a 3rd line center too? I'm not that excited about seeing a revolving door between Ruutu, Skinner and Jussi at center again, it would be nice if we actually signed a natural center who can win faceoffs today. IMO that's our biggest need.

If Sutter is moving up to the 2nd line, doesn't that mean we need a 3rd line center too? I'm not that excited about seeing a revolving door between Ruutu, Skinner and Jussi at center again, it would be nice if we actually signed a natural center who can win faceoffs today. IMO that's our biggest need.

Hard to say...not sure if Belanger could do third line duty, but I'd rather keep Sutter on the third and find a second line center, or worst case use Jussi there (quietly over 50% on faceoffs last year). Easier to find a 3rd/4th line guy in our price range though.

Hard to say...not sure if Belanger could do third line duty, but I'd rather keep Sutter on the third and find a second line center, or worst case use Jussi there (quietly over 50% on faceoffs last year). Easier to find a 3rd/4th line guy in our price range though.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Sutter could do on the 2nd line, I think he could put up more points there. Since IMO its likely that Stillman will retire, Jussie will need to play wing for Staal and be the back up face off man on the 1st line. Unless of course JR pulls a rabbit out of a hat today and finds us some top 6 scoring talent to play with Staal. ;)

Dalpe is a natural center, but I'm not sure he is ready for 3rd line center.

Good call, I totally forgot to factor him in and he's the player I think is most likely to make the NHL roster.

I would think that JR would have to sign a goalie today if he wants any of the top UFAs left, but could be wrong...

I would think that JR would have to sign a goalie today if he wants any of the top UFAs left, but could be wrong...

I think there's enough of them kicking around that a center has more precedence.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie Confirming DET signing Drew Miller to 2 year deal paying him $800K in first year and $850K in second year.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie All the guys on unconditional waivers yesterday -- Souray, Barker, Commodore -- cleared and can now be bought out.

Andy Greene sign 4 year deal to stay with NJ per TSN.

Also:

DarrenDreger:

Garon done in Tampa Bay. 2 years. $1.3 aav

Edited by rocheccw

@drosennhl

Dan Rosen Oilers confirm Ben Eager signed to a three-year deal, and TSN reporting that Jamal Mayers has inked a 1-year deal in Chicago.

Eager is heading to Edmonton btw.

Edited by maniacaniac

Dominoes are starting to fall, haven't heard some big names yet though.

Well Jose Theodore is gone now. Would've been a good backup option, maybe a bit too much for JR's tastes though at 1.5 per.

Is Theo backup or starter? He had a pretty decent year in Minny. Do they still have Clemmensen?

Panthers have reportedly signed Scottie Upshall

Edit: He got 4 years for 14 million. Doesn't help with Cole's case...

Edited by jfive

tsn_wally:

RT @NHLFlyers: Per #Flyers GM Paul Holmgren: The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to a contract with free agent RW Jaromir Jagr. :wheelchair:

Weird Jagr & Philly???

Wow 3.3M...So glad that Shero is the Pens GM.

Edited by rocheccw