The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Free Agency 2011

Check out the official offseason thread. I would be all over that. What would Hemsky cost in terms of salary?

He has 5M left for next year, but his cap hit would be 4.1M. Which would get us close to the cap floor.

I think the biggest question would be what do we have to give up to get him for 1 year?

He will be a UFA next year.

So I have seen folks mention that JR is going to use trade to get up to the cap floor? Does anybody know how much this team is looking to spend this year? Hemsky would be a good addition, and with the direction Edmonton is heading right now, they may look to offload him. I'm just trying to go through my head and see who might be available now because of cap issues.

I have seen a little over 50 mil to a high of 52 mil mentioned. I would guess the number might be fluid depending on the deal but not by much. NHL numbers has our cap hit a little over 44 mil right now and we still need to sign Sutter

He has 5M left for next year, but his cap hit would be 4.1M. Which would get us close to the cap floor.

I think the biggest question would be what do we have to give up to get him for 1 year?

He will be a UFA next year.

IMO the way to handle his status to offer less to Oilers if he doesn't immediately sign an extension. If you can re-sign him for 3 years or more as part of the deal, then they get more. Otherwise conditional or future considerations.

i say for only one year, it will take a top prospect, bowman, etc and a draft choice like a 4th.. but would love to see this done, and hes a big guy! Another big guy.. gotta love it, gotta muck it up with those bruins along the boards :)HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE!

I've been thinking a little about the idea of one year from Hemsky, a very little, but still thinking. I hate to give up a prospect, and do wonder if a second rounder plus a prospect might be a bit much for a one year deal, and of course would hope that the Canes could sign him longer up front, but....

What a difference he could make in that one year. The Canes really need a playoff trip this year. There is nothing like playoff hockey, and the fans (and the players) need to see the playoffs. Looking through the proposed line ups, the one Coastal put up with Hemsky in there is just so much stronger than those without him. That one more piece that pushes everyone down a slot is crucial. Poni and Stewart on the third line is powerful stuff. Slotting either one higher is weak stuff. (The only problem with making Hemsky the pick is continued face-off struggles, but you can't have everything and Brent could be rolled out there sometimes).

Anyway, besides the need to make the playoffs this year, another year should give us a good chance to see which remaining prospects are worth inking into the top 9. Further, we have a real shot at signing Hemsky offseason if he likes it here, like Jussi and Joni. And if we do lose him, it will free up salary for a real run at a guy in FA if needed.

Having just looked over the remaining FA's. Just say no. If one considers age as a factor, the best remaining FA is...Sergie Samsonov.

Thus we must make a trade. That means giving something up. Ideally JR can find a guy like Hemsky and get him for more than a year. But if not, I still do the deal for one year if we don't have to give up too much.

What a difference one year can make. A good playoff run would do wonders for us. But the other thing is this, it's just one position. Our other guys are mostly locked up for a few years, especially once Sutter is signed. Gotta get Ruutu done, but it kind of looks like next year would be him and Hemsky up front. Not really mortgaging the future for the one year. Still would have good prospects too.

Edited by remkin

Konopka signed for $700k with the Sens.

I like Tim Brent and hope he pans out, but part of me would've liked to see Konopka center our fourth line. He's 50%+ on face-offs, considered to be a solid leader, and a he's a bona fide tough guy. I could see us passing on him if he was asking for $1M like some speculated, but considering he was available at that price I think it's a shame.

All in all a successful free agent period with the only casualty being Erik Cole. Still need that top line forward but so far no real complaints about what JR has done.

Konopka signed for $700k with the Sens.

I like Tim Brent and hope he pans out, but part of me would've liked to see Konopka center our fourth line. He's 50%+ on face-offs, considered to be a solid leader, and a he's a bona fide tough guy. I could see us passing on him if he was asking for $1M like some speculated, but considering he was available at that price I think it's a shame.

I was also hoping we'd make a play for Konopka. For the reasons you mentioned above regarded to his skill set for certain, and that awesome name!

I suppose this I should post this in this thread. Found a top 10 list of bargain player signings and the 'Canes have two on the list. Interesting read.

http://www.stanleycu...signings-so-far

Yes according to him JR has the #3 and #5 best signings.

Of course JR didn't get much for the #2 best signing.

Still, I fully agree about Jussi. I hope he is right about Poni with this quote:

I look for a huge bounceback from him.

But JR better take note of this quote:

Fine, he's not a first line forward, big whoop; it's not like he's getting 6 years and $27 million, like Leino, who isn't a first line forward either.

But JR better take note of this quote:

Fine, he's not a first line forward, big whoop; it's not like he's getting 6 years and $27 million, like Leino, who isn't a first line forward either.

If Poni does have a rebound season and puts up similar points to his best seasons then he would be a first line forward on this team. However, I'm not expecting him to start on the first line. He'll have to earn it which is a good thing.

If Poni does have a rebound season and puts up similar points to his best seasons then he would be a first line forward on this team. However, I'm not expecting him to start on the first line. He'll have to earn it which is a good thing.

You know I was going to make a crack about the "on this team" remark. But actually if you take Poni's best year 08-09, he would be a legitimate first liner period. That year he put up 61 points (one more than Brian Gionta) and was 55th amoung forwards in points. Considering the vauge idea that there are in theory 90 first line forwards in the NHL, that puts him right there. He does have 1st line potential.

Now he's never really ever been close to that kind of productivity again, but he has put up the goals several times.

Poni does indeed apear to be a classic JR pick up in a very good way. But how much better if he didn't have to hit those numbers but could still be a great value on the second or third line with the promotion potential if he does have that kind of year.

You know I was going to make a crack about the "on this team" remark. But actually if you take Poni's best year 08-09, he would be a legitimate first liner period. That year he put up 61 points (one more than Brian Gionta) and was 55th amoung forwards in points. Considering the vauge idea that there are in theory 90 first line forwards in the NHL, that puts him right there. He does have 1st line potential.

Now he's never really ever been close to that kind of productivity again, but he has put up the goals several times.

Poni does indeed apear to be a classic JR pick up in a very good way. But how much better if he didn't have to hit those numbers but could still be a great value on the second or third line with the promotion potential if he does have that kind of year.

And obviously re-uniting him with T-Kabs and his old coach Mo can't hurt, right? Are we the Carolina MapleCanes yet? We must be getting close.

Seriously, though, this is a classic JR signing. Grab a guy who had a good season or two a couple of years ago but has fallen on tough times and see if he can "click" here. I've said it once and I'll say it again. If Poni can find that 60+ point touch and propel us into the post-season, he'll be the steal of the offseason (unless Vokoun wins a Cup in Washington).

Edit: And not that I'd want to see this happen, but the situation is almost setup to see Cole sign that monster deal in MTL and then get hurt and miss 40+ games while Poni signs for 3rd line money and rolls in here to re-invigorate his career. It would be ironic.

Edited by witchking-ch1