The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Free Agency 2011

Who do we replace Cole with? I'm sure there's some scrub somewhere JR can pick up...

Ville Leino is still out there he's not a "power" guy but could certaily play on the 2nd line. Maybe let Ruutu center him and one of the young'uns (Boychuck, Bowman or Dalpe)and Jokinen can play up with Staal and Skinner

Cole to MTL-Yep it's a business :( Best wishes to Cole-He will be missed...good for him though as much as I hate this deal and was really hoping we could keep him here...realistically there was NO WAY we could match that and I can see where there was NO WAY Cole could walk away from the deal.He has been a big part of this team...did everything that was asked of him-played his butt off last season-mentored our young guns...deserved the "A" last season... I wish him well he will be missed :crybaby:

Even with another signing, it looks like Dalpe will get his shot full time this year.

I'm of the opinion that a lot of our prospects could have some breakout years. I'm really hoping Dalpe and Boychuck can make an impact this season. We need them to.

TSNBobMcKenzie:

Michael Ryder signs two year deal worth $3.5M per year with the Dallas Stars.

Rutherford: Canes took last ditch effort to sign Cole and changed position considerably, but were unable to keep him.

Rutherford: Boucher was Tom Barrasso's No. 1 choice to back up Cam Ward

I was there, he looked really mad. He drove out of the parking lot on the side of RecZone real fast like crazy. Then we heard about our new alternate captains that afternoon.

Don't remember hearing this before. Sounds like someone else may have though as they asked about this at the end of the season and that was the first I remember hearing about this issue.

I'd guess JR was offering 2 or 3 years at $3.5-$3.75M. Now seeing JR telling Chip they changed their offer at the last minute. Sounds to me like they were never very close though, and it could be Cole was more determined to move this time because of other issues. Also sounds like Gionta sold him on the move as well, which makes sense.

I'll have to look at the schedule, but I was at Cole's first game back after EDM, may try to do the same this time.

Cole interview on NHL-he is talking about how happy he is to be going to MTL.Talks about the "passion" of the fans there...He wants to be on a team that is a "playoff" team every year...Texted Eric Staal to say "sorry"...Sounds like he is comfortable with the move...

Cole interview on NHL-he is talking about how happy he is to be going to MTL.Talks about the "passion" of the fans there...He wants to be on a team that is a "playoff" team every year...Texted Eric Staal to say "sorry"...Sounds like he is comfortable with the move...

Hope he's comfortable hearing it from the fans when he breaks off one of his patented "fly down the ice and lose control of the puck" moves.

ok, im offically pissed off, talk about taking a shot at his forner team.. man, cole has really disapointed me, just go and keep the mouth shut..

I doubt it was all about the "A" and respect. Years ago, he was asked about the "A" and he said at that time he didn't want it. (I'm sorry I don't have a reference.)

Clearly, he became worthy of it the last few years, especially last year with his mentoring of Skinner. Public statements were made of his leadership. I don't think JR and the mgmt wanted to mix up the "A"s during the year. In any case, he was publicly recognized as worthy of it. I believe he even had it one or two games during some injuries.

Anyway, I don't blame JR for not biting. And Cole got his security.

Listening to XM right now, and Mike Brophy is commenting and just asked if MTL thought it was "Eric Staal" and not Cole. And 4 at 4.5? He asks if MTL "lost their mind."

Anyway, NOW listening to Erik himself. Let me transcribe a few highlights:

"Raleigh will still be here when I'm done playing, in the plan after hockey."

"Talked to Gionta, and how it was on the family. Asked about city and org. Gionta sold me."

"Let my agent do his job, and here we are."

Laughlin:"You will get scrutiy, are you ready?" Erik:(nervous laughter)"Good thing, fans will hold you accountable. I'll need thick skin and will play my heart out."

Laughlin:"What was different last year." Erik:"Had good camp 2 years ago, got hurt. That set me back. Team sliding, couldn't get it back" "Last year, played healthy. Good summer working with Corvo"

Laughlin:"You have grit, you'll fit in. What thinks you?" Erik:"Much talent here. I'll do whatever they want. Work hard, play as hard as I can. Make the fans and organization proud. It will be exciting. I LOVE that building and the passion of the fans."

Sounds a lot like the NHL interview, minus the shot and text.

Sign off.

Edited by wxray1

that's right erik, take a cheap shot at the caniacs before you go, "passion" of the montreal fans... give me an effin break

Edited by hockeyfan1208

I don't get the playoff bit, we were one game away last season during a season where we were a self-titled rebuilding team, and he had just as much impact as to whether the team made the playoffs or not as everyone else on the ice. This move on his part has me really po'd, I just don't understand how you go from having one of your best rebound seasons to then implying your previous team wasn't a playoff contender.

Listening to Cole on NHL Network just sounds to me like he made a mistake. At the rate they're paying the expectations will be high. If he performs at the rate of last year's 2nd half they may be satisfied. However, that was his best hockey, and 4 years is a long time at his age.

I really like the guy as a person, but think he just made a big mistake. Good luck Erik!

Yes, Canes increased offer to $4M but for only 2 years...maybe 3. That was $500K more than what JR wanted to pay.

Pretty much what I figured. It was never going to happen.

And yeah I agree $4.5M/yr is probably a bit of an overpayment, but not huge. Difference between a perennial playoff team spending to the cap and a team that aims for 8th every year. Cole mentioned benefit of going to a team that is in playoffs every year, hard to argue with that, though the Habs have flirted with the line a couple of times in the last few years.

I agree that the "playoff" comment was somewhat a slap in the face. He didn't have to go there.

I wonder if he really wants to stay in Raleigh now? I don't think the fanbase is going to be too appreciative of how he played this.

Guess time will tell.

And for all those who said: "maybe we can sign him after this contract and he can retire a Cane," to that I say NO WAY!

ok, im offically pissed off, talk about taking a shot at his forner team.. man, cole has really disapointed me, just go and keep the mouth shut..

Yeah it was hard listening to him. I mean I still wish him well but I have to agree the fans have been great to Erik- If it was about money and time then just say that and move along---we know we can't compete with the dollars (and so does he)and we accept that but to make the comments about the "passionate" fans there and the "playoff" comment and then the comment about playing to a "full house" every night well :nonono: not so nice

Cole got his money, good for him. Cannot fault the players for "playing" the weak market. He's not worth that much of course, but good for him to take care of himself. Don't blame him one bit for wanting to be on a playoff team, something that this franchise is not consistently..and this offseason is proving no different so far.