The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Free Agency 2011

Was kind of upset about this at first, but with his reaction, I say good luck out there champ. Don't want chumps like that on my team anyway. I'll be the first to give you a "salute" if I see you outside the RBC.

I do hope JR has a response of his own that will satisfy all of us. I don't think bringing up a couple of Checkers is what we all want and will be happy with.

Let's see what he has up his sleeve.

Still hearing Leino, but now Versteeg has been traded I don't know!

On a side note....WOW look at what Florida has done today. I am impressed. They will be a much tougher team next year.

Edited by Canesmash

that's right erik, take a cheap shot at the caniacs before you go, "passion" of the montreal fans... give me an effin break

Yeah, fans in Montreal aren't very passionate at all. :rolleyes:

He didn't say they were more passionate, he said they were passionate. They are. Duh.

It's hard to argue the situation between Montreal and Carolina aren't different. If the numbers were closer I might be more upset, or if he were going to NYI or FLA or somewhere like that, but I can't blame the guy a bit.

Edited by JLP

Jesus listen to all of you dumping on Cole. What a joke. What was he supposed to do? Stay on a crappy team for another 2 year contract? Or get a longer and better deal somewhere else? Seriously wake up.

What did you expect him to say? " I signed with Montreal, but I really wish I was still in Carolina?" Any player is going to tow that company line when they sign with a new team. They all do it. Its a business and the comment was just that, business.

Edited by hopper915

Tough call on Cole. I agree some of his comments could be taken out of context by the Canes fans, but if he's trying to ingratiate himself with the Habs fans, he said the right things.

And I agree that JR should not have even considered going that high for him. $12m for 3 years? Maybe. But JR's been bitten before by guys over 35 not pulling the weight of a hefty contract.

But that's all water under the bridge now.

The question is: who does JR nab for top 6 duties? I'm hoping he moves Ruutu to 1st line wing and goes after a real 2nd line center. But that 2nd line center is going to need to be someone who can work with two young guys: Skinner and Dalpe.

If that's what JR is thinking, I can see where he has to consider a trade. The question is, which teams have too many 2nd line centers?

Cole got his money, good for him. Cannot fault the players for "playing" the weak market. He's not worth that much of course, but good for him to take care of himself. Don't blame him one bit for wanting to be on a playoff team, something that this franchise is not consistently..and this offseason is proving no different so far.

This. Stop ripping Cole for taking his LAST CHANCE to do this. While I am beyond pissed off about the whole thing, everything he said in that interview was true. It's not like he said "The passion of the fans in MTL are much better than in Raleigh". He's just trying to say the right things and make a good first impression on the organization/fans. A lot of the comments made here makes me think I'm reading a Flyers message board with all the flaming of a guy who played his heart out for this organization and loved it. Come on guys, I probably liked Cole more than all of you combined and I'm not flaming him because of his decision, I'm being MATURE about it.

Yeah, fans in Montreal aren't very passionate at all. :rolleyes:

He didn't say they were more passionate, he said they were passionate. They are. Duh.

It's hard to argue the situation between Montreal and Carolina aren't different. If the numbers were closer I might be more upset, or if he were going to NYI or FLA or somewhere like that, but I can't blame the guy a bit.

And we aren't a passionate fan base...? Sounded to me like he'd never played for one before the way he was talking about it

versteeg to florida o.O gues they made room for Leino..

I think Dale Tallon is seriously challenging JR for the title of master recycler. Versteeg is yet another former Blackhawk going down to Florida.

I do hope JR has a response of his own that will satisfy all of us. I don't think bringing up a couple of Checkers is what we all want and will be happy with.

Let's see what he has up his sleeve.

Still hearing Leino, but now Versteeg has been traded I don't know!

On a side note....WOW look at what Florida has done today. I am impressed. They will be a much tougher team next year.

watch it be signing Stillman. Big move there!!

Here's hoping we take a shot at Richards. On TSN they were sayin it might be around 6.5/yr for him. That would put us at around 50.5 (i have sutter at 2.5/yr) with 2 spots to fill (I threw dalpe into the lineup already)

Don't remember hearing this before. Sounds like someone else may have though as they asked about this at the end of the season and that was the first I remember hearing about this issue.

I'd guess JR was offering 2 or 3 years at $3.5-$3.75M. Now seeing JR telling Chip they changed their offer at the last minute. Sounds to me like they were never very close though, and it could be Cole was more determined to move this time because of other issues. Also sounds like Gionta sold him on the move as well, which makes sense.

I'll have to look at the schedule, but I was at Cole's first game back after EDM, may try to do the same this time.

I did not listen to any interview after losing to TB. It was just too upsetting. That day I remembered he signed a couple autographs for my friend and me. He pressed my friend's new sharpie til the tip was totally gone (and of course we got crappy autographs. Then he drove out like crazy as I mentioned before. We were like what the heck was wrong with him. Then we heard about A, so we figured that might be the cause of his action. I would be mad, as well. I mean giving an A to Sutter was just nonsense.

No Stillman... LoL

Cole said all the right things for his new team, I agree. Although if you listened I believe there was a hint of arrogance in the "playoffs" comment. To each their own.

Now, let's see what kind of numbers a $4.5M winger puts up!

I'm flabbergasted at the Boucher signing. He was on my wish list of "veteran UFA goalies", I even mentioned him in the back up goalie thread, but never in a million years did I think we would actually land him, even with Bryz signing in Philly. I'm also excited to hear they are planning on playing him more.. My next comment was going to be "please God let him play more than 8 games a year".

Hate to lose Cole, but we knew he was going to play the market and price himself out of our reach. If someone is gonna pay him, why not take it. I'm glad to see we re-signed everyone else and the Boucher and Brent pick ups really help our depth. A competent back up goalie and a 3rd/4th line center.

Explain to me the Tlusty signing, not him signing, I'm glad he's back, but I read that for a RFA offer, he would be offered 550K, which was 110% what he made last year, and the article also said the league minimum would be 550 so he would be signed to that anyway, but they sign him for 525K.. First, was it worth letting him go UFA to save 25K, and is he now under the Min, or would that only affect someone who signed NEXT year (like a rookie).

I wish Cole good luck in MTL, and thank JR for not trying to match the insanity of the deal offered by the Habs. Cole has yet to put together two consecutive healthy years, and he will be 36 at the end of that deal. I thank him for the service to this organization, time to move on.

As I type this I just want to scream in anger as the damn Sabres have signed Leino.