The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Free Agency 2011

Wow, these guys are getting WAY overpaid!

Hell if we came that close to signing Cole for $4M a year let's take a shot at Richards!

yeh Leino got seriously overpaid thought his max would be 3M-3,5M but i guess the other deals out there he got overpaid :( damn would of liked to see him in a canes uniform...

I don't think we can compete with Tampa, NYR, Toronto for Brad Richards. NYR and Toronto will probably throw insane money at him and Tampa he has been with before and has hinted at a return.

Then we are looking at a 70 point season and missing the playoffs. Again!

So losing Cole is going to cost us almost 20pts in the standings? A little over reaction don't you think?

I do not blame Cole at all-I wish him well-He is a damn good Hockey player and I hope he does well in MTL (just not when we play them) I was not trying to take his comments out of context.He also said he has played some of his best hockey in Carolina. I agree he has to do what is best for himself and his family.I believe he did just that-looks like a sweet deal for him and he deserves it! As for when he returns to the RBC center I will promptly stand and cheer him he has been a big part of this team!He will be missed in more ways then 1...

So, is the sky falling yet? I've seen every team in the east get stronger (Buffalo, Washington, Philly, Florida) or stay strong (Tampa, Pittsburgh), while we do pretty much nothing...

I don't get the Tlusty signing either. I was ok with letting him walk. I was trying to see if this was a 2-way deal, so we could at least ship him down to CHA, but I couldn't find that anywhere. Anyone know?

If Tlusty is a 4th liner, then the 4th line appears to be Tlusty - Brent - Dwyer. Hmmm.... other than Brent (I actually like that signing, by the way), I'm not thrilled with that line. Don't we need a big body out there? Can that line kill penalties?

And then again, what does the 3rd line look like? LaRose - Sutter - Boychuk/Bowman/Samson/Dalpe? Is that wing basically a guaranteed Checker?

The other issue is that if Dalpe isn't ready for 2nd line duty, then we're actually still 2 top-6 forwards short.

Explain to me the Tlusty signing, not him signing, I'm glad he's back, but I read that for a RFA offer, he would be offered 550K, which was 110% what he made last year, and the article also said the league minimum would be 550 so he would be signed to that anyway, but they sign him for 525K.. First, was it worth letting him go UFA to save 25K, and is he now under the Min, or would that only affect someone who signed NEXT year (like a rookie).

I think you're right on as far as the numbers go. Makes no sense to me either. The guy is replaceable with a 2-way Checker. Mo must like the way Tlusty shines his shoes or something.

ETA: Tlusty would require waivers to be sent down so the 2-way wouldn't help much with him.

Edited by JLP

I mean Marco Sturm just got $2.25M!!

WOW, just wow at the market.

You know Tomas Fleischmann is still out there, but he will be looking for a big payday too with all this other insanity going on.

I wonder if Jussi and Joni regret signing now!?

So, is the sky falling yet? I've seen every team in the east get stronger (Buffalo, Washington, Philly, Florida) or stay strong (Tampa, Pittsburgh), while we do pretty much nothing...

Signing a back up goaltender who can and will play more than 8 games a year has just made our tandem that much stronger. No more beating Cam like a dead horse. Boucher can take the first game of a back to back (hopefully win) and set Cam up to knock it out of the park in the second game.

I dont know what to call that but "nothing" doesn't come to mind.

So losing Cole is going to cost us almost 20pts in the standings? A little over reaction don't you think?

Staal

Jussi

Skinner

Ruutu

These are our only forwards that can score. We are in trobule.

To MTL of all places, my most hated team. It will take more than $4.5 per to replace Cole. I suspect J.R. is looking for a $2.5 fringe top nine player. He would have to package a D-man with a young forward to land a top six forward and stay within budget.

It is interesting. I believe the interview I heard on XM was different and right after the NHL network interview. I didn't get any of the vibes you guys got. It was a good interview, and I have no problems with what he said on XM.

However, I do reserve the right to "greet" him as I see fit when he shows up in a Habs uniform.

I'm not at all sold on Boucher. Maybe he is a key ingredient to those missing points to get us over the hump, but we lost some scoring depth today for sure and most teams in the east have been pretty busy beefing up theirs. I don't know how we'll sniff 8th place in the east this season. Skinny better have one heck of a year.

I don't give two cents if this is true!

@LukeDeCock

Luke DeCock Hurricanes reunite Paul Maurice with Alex Ponikarovsky: "He had some good years playing there with Paul as the coach," Rutherford says.

Paul is not the greatest coach in the world! No more recycling, no more Paul Maurice Maple Leafs!

Not just losing Cole. We just took a step back. Everyone else so far has taken steps forward. So yeah, I can see us dropping big time in the standings considering we've done nothing. But then again we have to realize JR isn't done yet, it's not even past the first day of free agency, and he's going to make a deal or sign a top 6 guy. Until we see how that top 6 thing pans out, we don't know where we stand.

NEVERMIND WE'RE DOOMED! If Poni is our top 6 guy, I'm out. I can't stand watching another 09/10 season catastrophe.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Tlusty is low risk at 525K. He didn't get the QO because that would have given him the right to take the Canes to arbitration. JR hates arbitration. So it wasn't just about the 25K in savings.

If Tlusty works out then great..if not he can be waived & if he can be buried in the AHL

OMG we got Ponikarovsky! WHAT A JOKE LOL. JR has always liked this guy, and no doubt Maurice sold him on it! So this is our replacement/improvement for Cole???

I cannot believe this offseason so far!