The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeyfan1208

Alexei Ponikarovsky signs 1 year 1.5 million dollar deal with the Canes

I'll give him one thing.. a +1 last year, and +51 for his career, that's a nice change from so many minus's on our team. Other than the 3 line blurb on the Canes site, I dont know anything about him. Never heard of him. So this is a wait and see kinda project. But JR pulls these guys out of the woodwork and usually its a good move.

Hope he isn't meant to be Cole's replacement. He has size, but is just so-so in terms of output over the years and had a horrible year last season 5 g/10 a in 61 games. At least we're only committing a year to him to see what he can bring to the organizaiton.

Please though let us be doing more than this or we'll be looking at early tee times next spring.

I'm hoping for the best case scenario of a low risk high reward kind of guy here for the contract we gave him. But since this isn't Erik Cole's replacement, I hope we're looking at someone in a trade.

But based on JR's comments, if we can't find somebody to fill that hole, he'd be perfectly fine plugging it with a couple of checkers. If that's what happens, I will go ballistic

Seems like he hasn't been able to regain his touch since he left the Leafs. Hopefully he'll be given the opportunity to redeem himself by Maurice. I guess Maurice coached him at one point so hopefully he won't throw him in the doghouse like he's done before with O'Sullivan.

Watching this guy over the years he seems like one big nothing. I can't believe we're filling a roster spot with signings like this or bringing back Tlusty. We're becoming the Toronto Marlies, including their former coach.

I remember him... he had a bad groin issue last season, so lets give him a chance before we rip this move apart - JR has a knack for these types of finds.

I have been doing some reading about him on other Canes-related sites where

his stats are listed. ( If I can mention the site-Canes Country)

At that site they said think of him in the slot where Sammy started

last season. He has speed and will be a big body in front of the net on PP's. . In Toronto

he had at least 3 of his 5 seasons where he scored 20 goals (and one 18 goal season)

He is big and is not a heavy hitter-but has a defensive side to his game. Mo has

coached him. For the price and a one year deal, he could be a stop-gap in the top nine

until some of the Checkers are more ready for the jump, because he has 8+ seasons

of NHL experience.

JR was very clear------he is not a replacement for Cole. I don't see a downside here.

But you will see a downside...Poni showed up in Pittsburgh and I was excited...then he just disappeared for the rest of the season & the entire playoffs.

Poni has size but he doesn't use it...he has good speed but sometimes seems to just float around...he has good hands & a good shot but could score with Crosby setting him up. He was an empty jersey in Pittsburgh.

I hope he find his Toronto game again here in Carolina, but the best thing about this deal is that it is only for one year.

Good size we have lacked, though despite the 6'4" 220 not a big hitter, but i can get him to go in front of net should help the PP..

The better under radar signing is Tim brent, who had a 52% Face off percentage and had 104 hits and 52 blocked shots.. he's the type of PP/Pk specilist we have lacked on Face off's

Good size we have lacked, though despite the 6'4" 220 not a big hitter, but i can get him to go in front of net should help the PP..

The better under radar signing is Tim brent, who had a 52% Face off percentage and had 104 hits and 52 blocked shots.. he's the type of PP/Pk specilist we have lacked on Face off's

He reminds me of the Tommy Kostopolous signing. Lets hope this guy doesn't get shipped out before he gets a chance to fit in. If he just wins some of the PK faceoffs our special teams have already improved.

He reminds me of the Tommy Kostopolous signing. Lets hope this guy doesn't get shipped out before he gets a chance to fit in. If he just wins some of the PK faceoffs our special teams have already improved.

Kosto was one of my favorite canes :[ and I still miss him.

yep bwtween him and maybe stewart or ponik( most likely stewart), getting in front of a net to bang and disturb a goalie's vision( been what 5 years sicne we have seen that?)- we may actually have a few more scores on the PP either by the goalie picking up a puck late or a "garbage goal" in a scrum, what a concept!,, win the face offf, set up a shot from outside with traffic in font of the goalie.. who woulda thunk? :thumbsup:

yep bwtween him and maybe stewart or ponik( most likely stewart), getting in front of a net to bang and disturb a goalie's vision( been what 5 years sicne we have seen that?)- we may actually have a few more scores on the PP either by the goalie picking up a puck late or a "garbage goal" in a scrum, what a concept!,, win the face offf, set up a shot from outside with traffic in font of the goalie.. who woulda thunk? :thumbsup:

Clearly it wasn't a big time concept in Carolina but... it works! let's give it a shot fellas! GET TO THE DAMN NET :whip:

Kinda "meh" on this. He's a big body, yes--but size is useless if you don't use it and he fits that category nicely. 20-goal potential, however...one of those kind of "low-risk, high-reward" signings.

Kinda "meh" on this. He's a big body, yes--but size is useless if you don't use it and he fits that category nicely. 20-goal potential, however...one of those kind of "low-risk, high-reward" signings.

You'll get used to those around here :)

Great avatar there, thrashcaniac.

As legend says, those type of signings account for about 90% of JR's moves. JR was a dumpster diver in a previous lifetime.

Edited for those lacking a sense of humor.

Edited by super_dave_1

The Canes have a history of taking a chance on players. I don't know that much about Poni or how he will fit into this team. If he can pot 20 goals I think he will be well worth the chance. Your right about size. If you don't use it what good is it. Hoping for the best with Poni.

I have a question for those who know Poni. When you say he doesn't use his size...

One way to use size is to throw hits along the board, but another is to camp in front of the net. It appears he is not a big hitter, but is he a hard to move body in front of the net? Because clearly we need that.

I have a question for those who know Poni. When you say he doesn't use his size...

One way to use size is to throw hits along the board, but another is to camp in front of the net. It appears he is not a big hitter, but is he a hard to move body in front of the net? Because clearly we need that.

Here's your answer and I would say a definate yes to the latter part of your question...watch him roll over Staal in the first minute or so. If this is the guy we get then JR may have gotten a HUGE steal. I am psyched to watch this guy.

You'll get used to those around here :)

I can see that lol. At least quite a few work out.

Thrashcaniac - love the avi!

Superdave/CC - trashcan? Not very welcoming :lol:

Poni is a big dude who knows this is a big chance to get his game back on track, hit hard and often my friend.

Edited by Nega_chin

Superdave/CC - trashcan? Not very welcoming :lol:

Oh, for a minute I didn't know what you were talking about. I think you have me confused with another poster that likely just made an error in spelling. Right? ;)

BTW, I think most of us here have been very welcoming to new T.H.R.A.S.H. fans. :)

Edited by coastal_caniac