The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeyfan1208

Alexei Ponikarovsky signs 1 year 1.5 million dollar deal with the Canes

Superdave/CC - trashcan? Not very welcoming :lol:

Well, certainly no offense was intended. You gave the :lol: , so I guess you get the idea that it's a joke. I said it right after I said that I liked his avatar. I edited it just to make sure nobody misunderstands my attempt at a little humor.

We welcome all ex-Thrasher fans or anybody else for that matter. The only two things that are required are:

1. You love the Hurricanes.

B. You despise the Sabres.

The last thing I would want is for any fan, new or old to not feel welcome here.

Edited by super_dave_1

Sorry pal, didnt mean you at all. I meant captain Caniac lol.

Most everyone has been great here! And very knowledgable too. Glad to be here.

Ha ha, that's what I thought. :lol: Welcome to the boards!

How about that Alexei Ponikarovsky signing?

Lets get this back on topic please :)

Getting to know: Alexei Ponikarovsky

Now that you mention it, I kind of don't know how to feel about this one. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know that much about his game other than it fell off after he left the Leafs. He had a 23 goal/61 point year in 08/09 that would lead me to believe that he could be a scorer on Staal's line, but something happened since then.

I'll need to see how this pans out. It's a short term deal at a reasonable amount that can only go "so wrong" if it doesn't pan out. If it does, then we have another Jussi Jokinen type of deal.

I'm looking for a rebound season for Ponikarovsky and even Kaberle as well because of Maurice. Maybe that is why JR took a chance with our little Poni?

I'm looking for a rebound season for Ponikarovsky and even Kaberle as well because of Maurice. Maybe that is why JR took a chance with our little Poni?

I could swear I remember a game a few seasons back where Ponikarovsky caused some major turnover on a PP for the Leafs that resulted in a SH goal for us. Am I dreaming or does anyone else remember this?

Couldn't find anything on Youtube to back up my imagination but I did find this nice PP goal by him assisted by...wait for it.... Tomas Kaberle :woohoo:

Edited by TSA

I'm not saying that Poni is a replacement for Cole, but let's look at a few stats since the 07/08 season.

Cole 275 games played/77 goals/84 assists

Poni 286 games played/67 goals/94 assists

That puts them dead even on points. Poni has played 11 more games, is about 18 months younger, and is $3M cheaper this year. They play different styles, but I can see JR's interest here.

Edited by super_dave_1

Hey TSA Poni also blew by ol' Joe Corvo. If he can go to the net like that with consistency Pitkanen and Kaberle are going to have a new favorite target.

Hey TSA Poni also blew by ol' Joe Corvo. If he can go to the net like that with consistency Pitkanen and Kaberle are going to have a new favorite target.

That would work for me. I considered there was familiarity between Maurice and these guys but I forgot to consider that Ponikarovsky and Kaberle have plenty of PP experience together. Our PP couldn't get any worse so I'll take this as a good thing.

Thanks for the avatar compliments everyone. I didn't make it though! I forget who did, so whoever created it please step up and accept your kudos :notworthy:

And yeah, Captain Can, make me feel welcome! I kid, of course. You guys have been nothing short of spectacular.

On the Ponikarovsky signing, it could be hit or miss as I said. But at $1.5 million it's worth the risk, even for a budget-conscious team like Carolina.

I could swear I remember a game a few seasons back where Ponikarovsky caused some major turnover on a PP for the Leafs that resulted in a SH goal for us. Am I dreaming or does anyone else remember this?

Couldn't find anything on Youtube to back up my imagination but I did find this nice PP goal by him assisted by...wait for it.... Tomas Kaberle :woohoo:

Gotta admit, that's a great video of Poni's abilities. I remember when he was traded to Pittsburgh that there were many suitors for his services. It was believed Toronto needed to shop him, but I can't remember why. They weren't going to re-sign him or thought he'd be out of their price range? Anyway, he went to the Pens and was a complete dud for the rest of the season and the playoffs playing alongside Crosby. Now, everyone will say... "how can you suck playing alongside Crosby?" but if look at Sid's career, the guy has gone through a few wingers who were simply not up to snuff with his play-style.

So then Poni goes to LA and really really REALLY sucks it up.

I'm certainly hoping that the Poni we get is the one from the video, the one from the Leafs days, the guy who was riding high and was a coveted NHL'er. If that's the Poni we're getting, then things are looking up and JR will have the steal of the post-season.

Poni could be a steal but I don't know if he'll be able to top Vokoun's contract. That was some serious highway robbery voodoo mumbo jumbo right there.

No one wanted Vokoun as a starter and most teams had already settled their goaltending depth when Vokoun decided he wasn't going to be a starter next year.

Let's just hope we see some of the Poni's that have been posted here...

And not this one.... :thumbsup:

Edited by caniac23

To me that's more of a great play by Stillman than a failure by Poni. Poni definitely didn't know Stillman was there or even coming for that matter. What happens the other way is just an amazing pass by Cole and an even better shot by Witney.

Edited by Gejustin

Let's just hope we see some of the Poni's that have been posted here...

And not this one.... :thumbsup:

I think that was the game I was thinking of C23! Good find.....bad play for Ponikarovsky.

Poni could be a steal but I don't know if he'll be able to top Vokoun's contract. That was some serious highway robbery voodoo mumbo jumbo right there.

Well, I agree with that. But frankly, I think the only way that's considered the steal of the offseason is if the Caps win the Cup. Their playoff woes are well-documented.

I think you look at the Canes and we lose Cole and grab this guy, who frankly tanked in LA and Pittsburgh... If he comes in here and gets 50+ points and helps propel us into the post-season, then you're looking at a steal. I think the ceiling for Vokoun is much higher because the expectations for what he's supposed to do for the Caps are way up there. Anything less than AO raising the Cup is going to be a failure there. Boudreau's job is on the line. That team is looking at a window of opportunity right now that they feel has 1 year written all over it: either Vokoun is the missing piece or they need to re-think how they stack their team around their superstar.

According to Paul, Ponikarovsky will be wearing #23:

Ponikarovsky one of few guys whose number has personal significance. Wife, mother, grandfather all born on 23rd of various months