The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Now that one shoe has fallen...

Something else to ponder by Bob Wage over at Canes Country:

That was a great read. Check it out.

As to retaining our home grown talent, I think if we watch JR's moves we can see that management

also has those thoughts. If we keep the cap low and sign players to help this year and maybe next to

short contracts, we maintain cap space to expand when the young players need bigger contracts or no

matter what happens with the CBA next year.

We were one game away from the playoffs last year, on a budget and young team. Losing that last game

or not getting the run going early enough falls on the shoulders of the team and the coaching staff and

those who were here all know it. It had nothing to do with the budget. !!

It would seem JR is attune to the need to help fill the hole left by Cole's departure and my guess is

that they will push hard to make the playoffs this next season. He will also keep his long term

options open. He is no fool ! Over all, I think he is a solid and thoughtful GM who makes smart

decisions and we are lucky to have him IMO. I see him as being pretty even handed.

Staal and Ward (and Cole) were asked last year to be leaders and buy into the "building from

within" . They either do or decide not to. It will always be the players choice. Such is the nature of

pro sports.

GO CANES !!!

Well. I think Erik Cole is a fine player but to see him leave. . .

Actually, I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't care. I wouldn't even resign Chad LaRose.

I looked at last season where we had a lot of young players and we were one game short. Reminds me of Patrick Kane's NHL

for the Blackhawk's a couple years ago. I just feel like this franchise needs one good risk.

If history repeating itself means we are on the good side of that handshake line (against Cole's Habs or not) I'll gladly take that.

It's not the *team* so much I'm worried about as it is the *league*. We have seen that the team can be successful, 3 trips to the ECF, 2 trips to the SCF and a Cup victory in an 13-14 year span (not counting Hartford, just Carolina). But the changes at the league level, Salary cap continuing to rise, insane money being thrown around this off season, new CBA in a couple of years? Those can be troubling. Yes our team works under the current structure, but how long will that structure be in place?

Interesting discussion! I think the weak market really hurt the Canes. As anyone who has taken any economics classes knows, supply and demand drive price. This season, the free agency market was thin, almost anorexic. Teams overpaid. IF the free agency market had been better, Cole might not have bolted because of better players available. There were only a handful of top forwards, very few top defensemen and a couple top goalies for teams to grab.

The main focus PK, JR and the higher ups with the organization is to find PK a partner. Even with 2 Stanley Cup appearances, 2 Eastern Conference Finals, a Stanley Cup, A NHL Draft and finally a NHL All Star Game, we are still struggling. Not the product on the ice. It has been good more than it has been bad.

Since 1997-98:

5 playoff appearances (98-99, 00-01, 01-02, 05-06, 08-09) positive or negative??

9 Winning seasons (98-99, 99-00, 00-01, 01-02, 05-06, 06-07, 07-08, 08-09, 10-11) positive

3 Division Champions positive

2 Eastern Conference Champions positive

1 Stanley Cup Champion positive

4 Losing seasons (97-98, 02-03, 03-04, 09-10) negative

4 Times finishing 9th (97-98; 9 points out), (99-00; 1 point out), (07-08; 2 points out), (10-11; 2 points out) push?

But to make the product better, there has to be better finances, which means a partner for PK. They have done everything to keep things affordable. How many times have they raised ticket prices? How many times have they given fans price breaks or come up with ways for fans to be able to afford tickets? If they raise prices so they can lock in players to better contracts or attract better players, fans who use to afford ticket prices, probably won't be able to and won't go to games.

League Average Ticket Price for 2009-2010 was $51.41.

Hurricanes Average Ticket Price was $38.38.

Only Buffalo($36.43), Phoenix($37.45), Dallas($35.66), St. Louis($37.90) and Tampa Bay($35.76) were Cheaper.

Toronto was the highest at $117.49 followed by Montreal at $72.18.

OH the average price for Winnipeg tickets in 2011-12 will be around $82.

It boils down to money. Better talent goes to teams that can afford it. IF Ward and Staal had not already won a Cup, I would not be surprised if they would have tried, if not already, bolted to another team.

Edited by hopper915

Is anyone else worried ticket sales will fall way down? Theres no all star game, theyre not coming off some big run, and theres no big splash signing to spark the fanbase.

Anyone know what the sth base is?

Is anyone else worried ticket sales will fall way down? Theres no all star game, theyre not coming off some big run, and theres no big splash signing to spark the fanbase.

Anyone know what the sth base is?

I know we're curtailing going to games this year. We spent way too much headed to the arena last season. We'll watch quite a bit more via NHL Center Ice. It's a bummer, but I got other finances that take precedence.

I know we're curtailing going to games this year. We spent way too much headed to the arena last season. We'll watch quite a bit more via NHL Center Ice. It's a bummer, but I got other finances that take precedence.

I'll be keeping mine, may even add a seat. I think as far as attendance will be determined by the product on the ice. A big, fast start to the season would be a nice change.

It always seems in smaller markets that butts in seats correlates almost exactly to wins and losses. If the canes can come out of the gates strong people will come. At least im hoping I didnt just jump on the bandwagon.of another Atlanta-like team!

It always seems in smaller markets that butts in seats correlates almost exactly to wins and losses. If the canes can come out of the gates strong people will come. At least im hoping I didnt just jump on the bandwagon.of another Atlanta-like team!

Not to worry. We are critical but passionate fans. This organization appears committed to the area. As long as the Canes give the effort every night so will we.

So has another shoe dropped with Corvo wanting out or is this just a player who knew he was getting traded at the deadline anyway and not wanting to uproot his family mid season?

Thanks for the welcome

Edited by Nega_chin

Geeze at the rate the shoes seem to be dropping the Canes are looking like a centipede...Whats next? Really can't wait for the season to start and see how this all "plays" out! LETS GO CANES Old and New... I need a lineup/team rosteer to study :)

Geeze at the rate the shoes seem to be dropping the Canes are looking like a centipede...Whats next? Really can't wait for the season to start and see how this all "plays" out! LETS GO CANES Old and New... I need a lineup/team rosteer to study :)

Well, one thing is for sure. We're gonna see a different team. Gonna take a few weeks to get used to the new players and numbers.

Where is all this drama coming from all of a sudden? 2 30 somethings wanted to be on more frequently winning teams, it happens. The only evidence we have is someone saw cole angry prior to the captains were announced. Big whoop, i heard cole and staal yammering during brindy camp last year. If there was turmoil last season we would've lost more than cole to free agency.

Corvo leaving doesn't feel like the other shoe dropping to me . The writing was on the wall for him when Pitkaknen was re-signed and Murphy was drafted. He knows he's the most likely candidate to go at the trade deadline (or earlier).

The youth movement is definately on though and hopefully Staal and Ward are on board for the long haul.