The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Canes Agree to Terms with RW Anthony Stewart

Winger had 39 points in 80 games with Atlanta in 2010-11

Saturday, 07.02.2011 / 2:10 PM / News

By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with right wing Anthony Stewart on a two-year contract. The deal will pay Stewart $800,000 in 2011-12, and $1 million in 2012-13.

“Anthony is a big man who plays a strong all-around game,” said Rutherford. “He is coming off of a very good season with Atlanta and will be a strong addition to the Hurricanes’ forward lines.”

Stewart, 26, posted career highs in goals (14), assists (25), points (39) and games played (80) with the Atlanta Thrashers in 2010-11. The La Salle, Que., native finished the season ranked tied for fifth among Thrashers skaters in assists, tied for sixth on the team in goals and seventh in scoring. Stewart (6’3”, 230 lbs.) has scored 18 goals, earned 33 assists (51 points) and accumulated 93 penalty minutes in 185 career NHL regular-season games with Florida and Atlanta since turning professional in 2004. The Panthers drafted Stewart in the first round, 25th overall, in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

What happened to promote from within? If this is their idea of a winger to replace Cole, I am underwhelmed. Starting to wonder if it's worth listening to JR any more.

I don't think he will replace Cole but last year was his first year full year in the NHL and the talk is that this could be a very good move. Plus it's not even 2 mil for 2 years so it's not like this was expensive.

I don't see him as a third line winger on the first line.. I see him as a third line winger on the third line. Skinner is moving up to first line, sutter up to second.. some holes are opening up on the bottom 6, which he is filling with signings such as Stewart and Brent.

We are still under the cap floor. And Rutherford said that the replacement of Cole would come via Trade more or less.

Yes. We have so many threads going. But with the open cap space and the accumulation of forwards, someone has to be moving out soon.

Am I the only one that thinks this is great?! Size was a major concern for us guys. In the past 2 days we have added 2 forwards that will add a lot of size to sustain a forecheck in the offensive zone. This was truly a great signing. If he can do 39 points on a bad ATL team who knows what he can do here. I have a feeling this could be Coles replacement. Hate to break that to you. But overall this was a solid signing!

I doubt he will replace Cole. He could skate second line. He is listed as a right wing. I wonder if he can skate off wing. Maybe some of out Thrasher fans can give us some insight.

I am all about late bloomers. This is why I hate to give up on Boychuk, Tlusty, Bowman etc. But 14 goals as a breakout year is far from replacing Cole. JR talks like he really thinks that Stewart will improve more, kind of suggesting 20 goals might be the expectation. He was a late first rounder, but he has been up and down to the minors forever. Maybe 14 goals is his ceiling.

Anyone see him play? He is certainly big enough.

BTw here is Another perect example of a 14 goal 39 point player, who is 3 years younger than chad and getting better, Making 50% of what chad makes and ar 6'3' 230 a much better banger we need, for WHY, we should not have paid chad what we did and gone with these 800K players like stewart, and either used the difference to resign Cole or get a better winder with the extra million

Looks like a very good pick-up :) You never know...I believe part of the equation will be chemistry.I hope we are following the words of the late great Herb Brooks: "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones" If so maybe the Canes can create their own "Miracle on Ice".We seem to play our best hockey when everyone else counts us out...Can't wait to see how this all unfolds! LETS GO CANES -old and new LOL

As for Cole-he is gone and we need to move on...teams/players do it all the time...By the comments he made he is glad to be doing so and excited about the opportunity,his new home and his new team.He choose to try and make his dream come true somewhere else and I wish him well :)

good interview with stewart from april:

Five Questions With … Anthony Stewart

7:30 am April 29, 2011, by Chris Vivlamore

Q. Your [goal] production did drop off. Any reason you can point to?

A. It was my first season playing 80 games. It was the little things. I think I got away from that a bit. The last 20 games of the season were probably the toughest. A lot of teams are fighting for playoff spots and the chances that you would get early on in the season, where you would fly under the radar, you are not getting those chances any more. It is unfortunate. It’s keeping my hunger and keeping me extra motivated to pick up where I started and I look forward to next year.

Q. It’s a big offseason for you as a restricted free agent. What do you expect?

A. I definitely want to be back. I’ve been looking at different [living] places, like Atlantic Station. I expect to be back. I hope the team wants me back. I played pretty well for my first year being here and I look forward to helping the team make the playoffs.

Q. Have the started contract talks with you?

A. No talks yet but those things will take care of themselves going into the summer. I’ve just got to work on staying in shape and getting in better shape. I’ll worry about the on-ice stuff.

Q. What was the biggest lesson you learned going through a complete season that maybe you didn’t expect?

A. You can’t read your own headlines and take things for granted. Like I mentioned before, it may seem like you are getting easy goals but it’s the hard work. When you expect to score and it doesn’t happen, it’s a little rattling but if you just keep working hard and do the little things, it’s going to go in for you.

It definitely gets harder the second half of the season. Guys are taking liberties. Guys are bearing down extra hard because it’s crunch time.

contin

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashers-blog/2011/04/29/five-questions-with-anthony-stewart/

BTw here is Another perect example of a 14 goal 39 point player, who is 3 years younger than chad and getting better, Making 50% of what chad makes and ar 6'3' 230 a much better banger we need, for WHY, we should not have paid chad what we did and gone with these 800K players like stewart, and either used the difference to resign Cole or get a better winder with the extra million

Hard to argue with this, and I might throw Tlusty in there as well. I think JR did him a favor not giving him a QO, and then signing him for league minimum. Obviously there were no takers when he wasn't qualified. That should give him a standard by which to judge himself. If he doesn't bring it in camp it's off to Charlotte or to a team needing a depth player. Fish or cut bait.

I think adding Stewart was a great signing, regardless of the questions surrounding his ability to finish, hands of stone, etc. I don't expect him to replace Cole, but I love the fact we are adding some BANG for our limited bucks, and creating open competition for those bottom six slots.

Good move by JR.

bumping

The first game I saw Anthony Stewart play was last year and he received a hat trick against the Ducks. Many of his goals have been going hard to the net using his body or battling in front. He's built to be a power forward much like his brother Chris Stewart. His only problem is his confidence. Last year was Stewart's first full 80 games in the NHL. He performed very well at this level of hockey and set a career high for himself. The coaches in Atlanta believe that he needs to learn how to use his body more effectively to score goals and take more chances like many men his size in the league. If he isn't used in a trade for something better then Anthony Stewart is definitely a GREAT investment. The guy is huge, he can skate, has great hands, tough, and like Chris Tucker says, "cheap as hell".

I was a big fan of the Thrashers last year especially since I come from a black hockey family from Charleston, SC. After telling my dad about Stewart's decision he asked me, "what happens to a black hockey player who is asked to move from Atlanta, GA to Winnipeg, MB? He says it's to cold for my black butt and signs with the Carolina Hurricanes". :lol:

I think this could be a good thing for Carolina, and being a former thrashers fan this is even better for me personally. I do not think he is a first or second line winger, but he could fit in nicely with the 3rd line. And you can't complain about the price either.

Hard to argue with this, and I might throw Tlusty in there as well. I think JR did him a favor not giving him a QO, and then signing him for league minimum. Obviously there were no takers when he wasn't qualified. That should give him a standard by which to judge himself. If he doesn't bring it in camp it's off to Charlotte or to a team needing a depth player. Fish or cut bait.

I think adding Stewart was a great signing, regardless of the questions surrounding his ability to finish, hands of stone, etc. I don't expect him to replace Cole, but I love the fact we are adding some BANG for our limited bucks, and creating open competition for those bottom six slots.

Good move by JR.

bumping

Agree about tlusty, and I know the chad fans do not want to hear it, but as said originally, there ARE better and younger players than chad that can do his job on the 3rd line for 1/2 the price, and was just fustrated we paid that kind of money( $1.7 mill) for someone that had peaked and not young and under a so-called 'tight budget" that the extra million matters here alot more than would on other teams. Much rather have these 26 year olds with more upside to build the future with. Sometimes just seems JR makes decision with heart( or in the "godfather" tadition of "once in the family, alays in the family"),not mind- and it leads to other financial issues down the line.

Just happy to see some size on this team finally- we got abused too many games last year where got pushed around and if not outskating the other team, got taken to the woodshed. Now we have more size for those games where it gets real physical and can match it better

Edited by canes-in-7

Sheesh, in all my worry and consternation, I somehow blew off this signing. Only until this morning did it sink in.

I think it is a good move by JR. There's hope here. Not a Cole replacement, but hope. Sounds like both sides have talked about conditioning and the expectations of playing 80+ games per year. Looks like he admits to running out of gas last year. Maybe he should consult with Gary Roberts, like, right now and get moving. He has had a huge door opened to him and I hope he comes in ready.

As for comparing with Chad and Juri... I don't get the Juri signing, but it is low risk. JR and Mo have this project they want to complete. As for Chad, you are right, he is overpaid, and I had to laugh that he threatened to test the market. But the thing about Chad is he is a favorite here, a huge favorite. He isn't mine, but I admit that I have to admire his blue-collar grit. The guy always gives everything he has.

My point is that Chad is such a fan favorite, you could argue that in ticket and merchandising, he will make up his premium over his likely real market price easily.

Finally, one more thought... So much happened it is hard to keep track. Like a lot of you, I'm wondering if there will be space for some kids to come up and give it a try. Adding Juri and Anthony is filling up spots. JR is now on the record as saying he'll carry a larger roster (per allowed limits) and scratch guys. Says he can do this because his payroll is so cheap lean. This will give the opportunity to try some of the kids out game to game, based on Mo's leanings. We'll see.

My point is that Chad is such a fan favorite, you could argue that in ticket and merchandising, he will make up his premium over his likely real market price easily.

No disrepect to Chad fans or Xray1, but chad's "marketing' is close to Nil..and def not worth much, the TOTAL TEAM( and we def. sell alot more staal, ward and team paraphanalia than chad stuff), was only $667,000, so "justifying a 1.7 mill salary by merchandise sales, when the total FOR ENTIRE TEAM is 667,000 is ludicris.

The Canes made $821,000 on merchandising in 2008-09, but only made $667,000 last season

and I sincerely doubt anyone would not buy a ticket if chad wasn't on team, and if that's the case, can't say much of a hockey fan if a 3rd line guy is the SOLE reason you pay for tickets, just one man's opinion. It reminds of kevin adams, stu grissom, gary roberts, bates,cole etc etc that had some strong "fan fav's" sentiment.. and each and everytime they leave always a "new" one comes along..just don't buy into the 3rd or 4th line fan fave being significant or important gate draw

Edited by canes-in-7

I get the feeling that this signing was on JR's radar, but not the plan at first. He signed LaRose figuring he'd get Cole and be mostly done. JR and Cole might have been close before FAgency and JR knew he still had room to up the offer. Enter Montreal who decided they had to get Cole and upped the offer way beyond JR's expectations. Then, suddenly he looks at plan B and Stewart looks like a classic JR pick up, and at the money how does he not pull the trigger? Great pick up, adds size, upside, etc. etc.

But now LaRose and his outsized salary is sitting there like a hunk of meat on a vegetarian's dinner plate.

It's like a guy agrees to go to the prom with his 3rd cousin and buys her an expensive dress, and then a week before the prom a gorgeous foreign exchange student asks them to the prom, and she has a dress already. Suddenly the cousin option looks a lot different.

I may be overstating things a tad for effect, but you get the point.

Edited by remkin

Stewart is the type of hard nosed big player the canes have been missing since tjey won the cup, give him a chance to mature and he'll be a solid piece. Maybe he could use some Brindamour training sessions.

Stewart is the type of hard nosed big player the canes have been missing since tjey won the cup, give him a chance to mature and he'll be a solid piece. Maybe he could use some Brindamour training sessions.

Definitely like the signing. Not so sure about Poni, but I really like this one. Even if the 3rd line is LaRose - Sutter - Stewart, I really like that line's potential. The thing I think that line can do is counter-punch. Not just shut down the opposition but also score. All three of them have the potential to be 20 goal scorers.

No disrepect to Chad fans or Xray1, but chad's "marketing' is close to Nil..and def not worth much, the TOTAL TEAM( and we def. sell alot more staal, ward and team paraphanalia than chad stuff), was only $667,000, so "justifying a 1.7 mill salary by merchandise sales, when the total FOR ENTIRE TEAM is 667,000 is ludicris.

and I sincerely doubt anyone would not buy a ticket if chad wasn't on team, and if that's the case, can't say much of a hockey fan if a 3rd line guy is the SOLE reason you pay for tickets, just one man's opinion. It reminds of kevin adams, stu grissom, gary roberts, bates,cole etc etc that had some strong "fan fav's" sentiment.. and each and everytime they leave always a "new" one comes along..just don't buy into the 3rd or 4th line fan fave being significant or important gate draw

Ludicris [sic] wxray1 signing in here. :wheelchair:

I didn't run the numbers on his premium, and sorry I don't have the depth of knowledge of inside numbers. I happen to know some crazy Chad fans, but it could be a faulty sample set that I tried to extrapolate. Apologies. I've had an enough stats classes and experience to know better.

One thing we can perhaps agree on... He is overpaid. Why did JR go there? Kind of baffling.

Edited by wxray1

welcome aboard ex-thrasher fans!... feel bad for the diehard fans how that management group did you guys! while we will complain about the finances here- no one will say the canes owner isn't passionate about hockey.. much different here

Ludicris [sic] wxray1 signing in here. :wheelchair:

I didn't run the numbers on his premium, and sorry I don't have the depth of knowledge of inside numbers. I happen to know some crazy Chad fans, but it could be a faulty sample set that I tried to extrapolate. Apologies. I've had an enough stats classes and experience to know better.

One thing we can perhaps agree on... He is overpaid. Why did JR go there? Kind of baffling.

No worries xray!.. We have a passionate chad fan near our seats also, so know the 'overtop" stuff that goes on with him,, same as it was years ago for some bates fans thatw ere sure the team would collapse if we let him go :thumbsup: .. these "overtop" fans a very small number, but do skew sometimes your thinking, been there, and yes we def agree he was overpaid, and as said before, the ony reason i see is the old karmonos "family" thing, once in, you are there for life :thumbsup: