Top 8 in each conference will qualify for 2012 playoffs

Midwest Division

Charlotte Checkers (CAR)

Chicago Wolves (VAN)

Milwaukee Admirals (NSH)

Peoria Rivermen (STL)

Rockford IceHogs (CHI

What is it with hockey schedule makers and geography. Can't they buy a map. lol

I wonder if this has to do with the Manitoba Moose moving to the extreme east (St Johns Newfie, about as east as you can get). But yeah, this is baffling. Based on last years schedule, and of course it could change, the East teams never played against the West teams, so Charlotte will be doing a lot of traveling. Probably some long road trips in store, which hopefully will be evened out with long homestands.

Yeah, looking at it, the St Johns Moose went into the East conf, Atlantic div. Syracuse Crunch took our spot in the East/East. It's a toss up to which our closest "division" rival will be, since three are in Illinois (Pieoria, Rockford and Chicago) and one in Milwaukee.

I didn't look at every team, but it looks like our closest foe, which last year was scheduled the most (12 games) will be the Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland OH at 515 miles. For our four division foes, which thankfully are at least all within 100 miles of each other, Chicago (749), Rockford (835), Peoria (794), Milwaukee (836).

The longest trip obviously will be to Abbotsford BC, Can to play the Heat at 2943 miles (or, per google maps - 2 days).

Compared to last year closest team was Norfolk at 325 miles.

I wonder if this has to do with the Manitoba Moose moving to the extreme east (St Johns Newfie, about as east as you can get). But yeah, this is baffling. Based on last years schedule, and of course it could change, the East teams never played against the West teams, so Charlotte will be doing a lot of traveling. Probably some long road trips in store, which hopefully will be evened out with long homestands.

Yeah, looking at it, the St Johns Moose went into the East conf, Atlantic div. Syracuse Crunch took our spot in the East/East. It's a toss up to which our closest "division" rival will be, since three are in Illinois (Pieoria, Rockford and Chicago) and one in Milwaukee.

I didn't look at every team, but it looks like our closest foe, which last year was scheduled the most (12 games) will be the Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland OH at 515 miles. For our four division foes, which thankfully are at least all within 100 miles of each other, Chicago (749), Rockford (835), Peoria (794), Milwaukee (836).

The longest trip obviously will be to Abbotsford BC, Can to play the Heat at 2943 miles (or, per google maps - 2 days).

Compared to last year closest team was Norfolk at 325 miles.

Norfolk is the closest AHL team from where I live. I guess I won't get to see the Checkers play there this year.

Unless they change it to where we play both east and west, but last year it was west only or east only, but this is the first year I've really followed the AHL so who knows.

I guess now closest for you would be a charlotte home game.

Unless they change it to where we play both east and west, but last year it was west only or east only, but this is the first year I've really followed the AHL so who knows.

I guess now closest for you would be a charlotte home game.

Charlotte is a long way to go for me. 51/2 hours I think. But if I wanted to see the Checkers that would be the trip.

Looks like the move to the west will cost the Checkers about three additional hours to each destination over where they had been playing. It's a long way to upstate NY. Not THAT much longer to Peoria or Chicago. But I hope those buses have sleeper seats; it's about eight hours to the Midwest cities.

Keeping in mind these kids play 3 games in 3 nights kinda often. I feel bad for these guys, 3 games in 3 nights while traveling across America/Canada to do so. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww boy... I bet the NHL would be a BREAK compared to the AHL schedule for the Checkers.

One thing I do like about this move is that it gives Charlotte a chance to play against "big markets". Charlotte vs. Houston/San Antonio/Cleveland/Chicago/Milwaukee/Toronto/Austin/Oklahoma City sounds more intriguing than Charlotte vs Scranton/Binghamton/etc. I was listening to the news last week and one of the team officials was saying that since Charlotte has a major airport it'll be a breeze to fly in to said cities since most of them have direct access to Charlotte, whereas last season when the team did fly they did so into Philly/Boston/DC/NYC and then bussed hours to wherever.

gocheckers.com

I just saw the number of games the Chex will play against opponents this year. Only a couple of east teams but for me at least they will play 4 home and 4 away games against the Norfolk Admirals. I should be able to catch a Chex game or two in Norfolk this year. Of course I'll have to read the schedule very carefully because the Chex also play 8 games against the Milwaukee Admirals.

I saw that today too OBXer and thought about your plight. So you will still get to catch a couple of Checkers games, of course not nearly as many when they were "our closest rival". I think we played them 12 times last year.