The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

Carolina signs Tomas Kaberle

At the very least, we got a PP defenseman who will SHOOT THE PUCK!

So Joe wanted out. OK, I consider this an upgrade. Not only talent wise, but Corvo had only a season left under contract and we now have a better offensive weapon locked up for 3. Also, Joe would have demanded a larger paycheck the next time around, if he was unhappy here... so it all kinda pans out. But that exchange for only a fourth rounder hurts.

I wanna give Kabs2.0 a chance before I rip this one apart.

Whoa, Kaberle is definitely NOT known for shooting the puck. I have some close Toronto fans and they say Leaf fans ALWAYS got on Kaberle for NEVER shooting. He does not have many goals at all in his career..

Whoa, Kaberle is definitely NOT known for shooting the puck. I have some close Toronto fans and they say Leaf fans ALWAYS got on Kaberle for NEVER shooting. He does not have many goals at all in his career..

Oh, great...

Kaberle is going to bring more points than Corvo would - no doubt. But is Kaberle better at his defensive game than Corvo? I'm not so sure..

I'm not sure if the believed 'Kaberle > Corvo' is worth the difference of their salaries. And I'm afraid that difference in salary could have been used to get us a top 6 forward..

But maybe JR has something up his sleeve.

JR saying Done now how...I guess he called it :) Stick a fork in us.Maybe Corvo and Cole both PO'd and not happy in Carolina?ANyone see we may have "trouble in paradise"?

Not necessarily:

Cole and Corvo were our "oldest" players. Both seem concerned at length of time til we are true Cup

contenders, (Not making playoffs---but strong enough to really compete ) They are best friends also.

Ward and Staal are 6-7 years younger....and have more time to work with the rebuild. (our other guys are 4-5 years younger.)

I see it this way. JR rewarded a guy that took a paycut last year to play here by sending him to an

American team (Joe didn't like his experience in Canada) that is an original six. But he had to lock

up another good puck mover first. (Unfortunately we lost a right shot D man)

So welcome to the Hurricanes Tomas Kaberle.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I really like the move. I don't see how you can look at his time in Boston and let that outweigh his time in Toronto. Our PP just instantly got better, hopefully with young guys like McBain and Joslin, and the addition of Dave Lewis to the staff we'll see the defensive side of the d-men's games improve.

I was a big Corvo fan, but if he was upset about Cole leaving then so be it. There's more guys on the team other than Cole that he's been team mates with for the past few seasons, I don't see why Cole would make that big of a difference to him. Wish we'd gotten more than a 4th for him though.

Yeah, 80 goals to about 440 assists in his career... but that can be a good thing, especially if those assists lead to PP goals.

Kaberle's PP numbers for each season he played at least 65 games.

Season Pts D Rank PP mins/gm

1999/2000 15 32 03:04

2000/2001 17 31 04:05

2001/2002 20 17 04:28

2002/2003 19 24 04:29

2003/2004 10 58 03:20

2005/2006 51 1 07:32

2006/2007 30 17 05:49

2007/2008 30 9 05:21

2009/2010 25 8 04:29

2010/2011 25 10 04:00

I think the deal with the 4th round pick is it was a you scratch my back Ill scratch your back deal. I am sure it will come up later at some point.

Question? Is Boston up against the Cap? Kaberle was a UFA right? Is it that they couldn't afford Kaberle? Has anyone heard/read or seen anything from Corvo yet? I heard Jr's interview where he said Joe asked for a move...I would like to hear Corvo's take on it.

Nice summary UNCCaniac8, I think you nailed it pretty well.

I think Corvo heard Cole's argument for leaving and realized "Hey, that sounds like my situation." On one hand it is criminal to only get a 4th for Corvo, and to let him go to a team that has assets and just won a championship, but that is how JR rolls. He figures the karma will come back his way someday, and it probably will. He didn't have the greatest position anyway, if he signs Kabs obviously Pits or Corvo is expendable and everyone knows we can't afford to keep them all, and then you leave guys hanging and getting all sorts of questions that are a pain in the butt to hear, especially if you don't have an answer right away.

I have always maintained Corvo is not a true "puck mover" in the literal sense of the term. He was a good PP point man and Dman in the O zone but not a passer or puck possession type. Kabs is an improvement in those areas, no doubt. But not by a huge margin, and that is not what we need on D - we need a solid stay at home type to play on Joni's other side. If that is Allen, awesome, I'm just baffled why they didn't do that during the season.

This doesn't significantly improve the D puzzle, plus it costs more. So, still bizarre.

Edited by JLP

I am still digesting this one. I enjoyed watching Corvo play, especially against Ovechkin. Their numbers for last year were pretty similar, Kabs getting the upper hand in PPA. For a soft D man, his +/- was a lot better than Corvo's, but that could all be based on the pairings. He was only a -2 on Toronto for the games he played with them last year.

I'll be optimistic. Anything to improve the PP.

I have always maintained Corvo is not a true "puck mover" in the literal sense of the term. He was a good PP point man and Dman in the O zone but not a passer or puck possession type. Kabs is an improvement in those areas, no doubt. But not by a huge margin, and that is not what we need on D - we need a solid stay at home type to play on Joni's other side. If that is Allen, awesome, I'm just baffled why they didn't do that during the season.

This doesn't significantly improve the D puzzle, plus it costs more. So, still bizarre.

Yeah, I'm still dragging around my jaw too. But I would argue he's the best PP QB we've ever had. If that gets me 3-4 wins, it's still an improvement over what Corvo brings (walk the line Joe) with the man advantage. Eight points is huge, as we all know. Just a different way to look at, is all.

I've chewed this over a bit, and I'm feeling better about it. It was such a shock when I found out that I really didn't know how to feel about it. Kabs is younger than Corvo and is now locked up for 3 years at a reasonable price considering what D-men were getting of late. He is a top pairing defenseman, even if he wasn't the shutdown guy we have all salivated over. He is an upgrade over Corvo on the PP and that is an area that certainly needs help.

I guess the question I have is this, would people feel differently if he wasn't named Kaberle? The end here wasn't the best for Frankie and we love our whipping boys.

After analyzing the deal, I think it was a good move. I don't know why Corvo wanted to be dealt, but if it was because of Cole signing somewhere else, suck it up. You're a professional hockey player for Christ's sake. Newsflash: Cole isn't in Boston either. Frankly, I wouldn't want ANY player here who didn't want to be here.

As for the indirect swap, I don't think the Canes really lose anything. I believe Kaberle is on par with Corvo defensively, yet better offensively. Kaberle was also the best PP QB available, so I do think JR addressed a need. As for only getting a 4th for Corvo, unfortunately this is how a lot of salary dump moves look. And after the Kaberle signing, that's exactly what it was, a salary dump.

Now we'll see if JR has something up his sleeve for a top line winger. I certainly hope so. Sutter's new deal will bring the Canes above the cap floor, but I hope JR isn't done yet. With the addition of a "real" top line winger, I think the Canes could make some noise. I'm not optimistic enough to say they'd win the division, but they could make the playoffs. I really hope the addition of Lewis can help the team's overall defense.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was certainly surprised to find that Kaberle signed for LESS than Pitkanen did. Considering the common prices for top-pairining defensemen, I don't think JR overpaid for Kaberle at all.

Edited by ThaRaven

FYI for those who say otherwise, Kaberle IS an UPGRADE over Joe Corvo, sorry to burst your bubbles. The guy has been a longtime respected NHL offensive defensiveman and I think has played in an all-star game or two. He's a better man's Joe Corvo.

So honestly this trade isn't much except getting a better puck moving defensemen. Trading Corvo for a 4th rounder I agree was a steal for Boston. Not happy about that part.

Eh, wait and see. People use to say the same and one Mr. "Dead" Weight. He did nothing for so long, etc etc, he was barely there in the playoffs... (just what I remember hearing, not my personal expression...) Either way, everyone contributes something. Tommy was always suppose to be the better of the two Kabs anyway.. but, I still would like to see a good replacement for Cole. If Stewart and/or Poni step up big time and really make some great contributions, kudos. I'm sure no one was expecting Skinner to do what he did last year. If not, like everyone else, trade for winger.

And that's not a bad idea giving him #5... lots of old jerseys would be brought out. ;)

JR says Corvo "asked" to be moved-"soft request" Here is Joe's take on it...

"This came as a surprise to me and a very pleasant surprise," Corvo said. "I'm happy to come to a team that is coming off an outstanding season and hasn't made many changes at all."

Was he surprised he was "moved" or was he surprised it was to Boston :)

Lets hope the numbers don't lie

Looks like a little give and take here-looking at the numbers maybe he doesn't have to shoot as much ;)

Edited by Pkling40

I'm indifferent to the Kaberle/Corvo trade; salary aside it's a pretty even trade I think. What Kabs is missing on the defensive end vs. Corvo is made up on the offensive end.

With that said, I'm not entirely too happy with this trade AND resigning Pits. We need to be more defensively minded in front of Cam, not more offensively minded at the other end of the ice. Scoring goals was not our problem last year; it was letting too many shots in.

I haven't seen any moves made to address that glaring problem. Boucher should allow Cam to take more nights off (provided Mo let's him) but Cam isn't the problem. He didn't play too many games, he didn't let in too many goals. *HE FACED TOO MANY SHOTS*.

I don't consider this roster to be an improvement over last season. I hope Staal and Skinner stick together on the first line the majority of the year and have a lot of success because I'm worried Staal is going to lose his patience with the budget/owner...

good move and i'm not getting the hate in this thread and confused how posters can say kaberle isn't a big upgrade over Corvo:

player "A"( one year younger) gets a 1st, 2nd and prospect in a trade

84 goals, 445 assists, 529 points in career.. 4 goals, 43 assists in 2010 and scored 40+ points 8 years

player B" gets a 4th rounder in a trade

79 goals, 179 assists, only 258 points in career.. 11 goals,29 assists in 2010 and has scored 40+ points only twice in career( both exactly 40)

on what Planet is player "A" the same or worse? i just do not get it.(Want to discuss salary that is different, but just from an "on ice" perspective its not even close, and he will help the PP and transition alot- which it seems people are forgetting how BAD the transition game and getting up ice was at times last year and kaberle can skate it up the ice very well

Edited by canes-in-7

One thing to ponder as well is that last year Mo was really on Pitkanen to shoot the puck more on the PP, and I am wondering if this acquisition and the hiring of Dave Lewis will help with that. I am expecting to see a more Red Wingsesque look to the pp with shots from the point and our new big boys out front for screens and rebounds. If we can let Kabs QB and Pits shoot we will be in good shape. 2nd unit will be in good shape with McBain as well.

In terms of Mo getting a numkber of his Leafs players back, remember that in the first year there, they went waaaaay beyond expectations with a young team. When they slid a bit the next year, the trigger was pulled on Mo, mostly because its Toronto and there is zero room for error there.

I really think we have a good team going forward.

Point production in last 4 years = 53, 31, 49, 47

PP Point production in last 4 years = 30, 30, 25, 25

Doesn't look to be a huge drop off to me or a guy who is completely washed up.