The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Women's World Cup Soccer

So am I the only one who watched this Final? What a game! I feel bad for team USA but if they had to lose to anyone I'm glad it was to Japan. That country really needs something to celebrate and feel good about.

The Japanese team earned every bit of that win but I hate that a game of that magnitude was settled by penalty kicks, it would be the equivalent of the Stanley Cup being decided by a shoot out. The Americans out played the Japanese all first half but because they couldn't take advantage of all their great scoring chances, they let Japan back in not once but twice. The second half seemed fairly even but USA had plenty of miss chances again. I guess that set up what was to eventually to their demise.

USA owned the extra time periods but Japan wouldn't go away, they ended up being the team of destiny with their last minute heroics both in the extra time and in the final PK's.

Oh well, USA will come back strong because soccer is alive and well for women in this country. I hope Japan takes a lot of pride in this win and they enjoy every moment of this.

I was working, so I didn't get to see it. But, from what I understand, Japan had never beaten the US before (something like 22-0-3). And, the US had never lost a game after scoring first (25-0?)... so for them to beat us was the ultimate David and Goliath story. I'm glad they won, too... though I really don't like the fact that they won in a shoot-out. Why don't they have overtime periods? That sucks...

I watched the game. It was a tough loss for the USA. USA had plenty of chances in the first half that didn't go in. When the USA scored the go-ahead goal in overtime I thought we had it. I think you have to admire the Japanese team and their tenacity. They just never gave up. I say hats off to the Japanese and keep your head up to the Americans. It was a heck of a game.