The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JLP

Sutter signs 3 year, $6.2M deal

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with center Brandon Sutter on a three-year contract. The deal will pay Sutter $1.5 million in 2011-12, $2 million in 2012-13 and $2.7 million in 2013-14.

“Brandon is one of the cornerstones of our franchise moving forward,” Rutherford said. “He is an extremely intelligent player who can perform in all situations, and has already grown into a leadership position for the Hurricanes at a very young age.”

Sutter, 22, established career highs in games played (82), penalty minutes (25) and plus/minus rating (+13) in 2011-12, his third NHL season with the Hurricanes. Born in Huntington, NY, but raised in Red Deer, Alb., he totaled 14 goals and 15 assists (29 points) and led all Carolina forwards in shorthanded ice time (2:21 per game). Sutter (6’3”, 183 lbs.) also led all Carolina forwards and ranked tied for seventh among NHL forwards in blocked shots (73), and was first on the team in plus/minus (+13). He skated in his 200th NHL game on April 2 against the New York Islanders, and the Hurricanes were 11-0-1 when he scored a goal during the 2010-11 season.

Carolina’s first-round selection (11th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Sutter has totaled 36 goals, 39 assists (75 points) and 43 penalty minutes in 204 career NHL games with the Hurricanes. He has represented Canada in a number of international competitions, including the 2007 Under-18 World Junior Championship and the 2007 Canada-Russia Super Series, and won a gold medal with Canada at the 2008 World Junior Championship. Prior to turning professional, Sutter completed a four-year junior hockey career with Red Deer of the Western Hockey League (WHL), totaling 68 goals and 86 assists (154 points) in 205 games.

link

I consider him a steal at that price. No wonder he didn't want to go long term at those numbers.

Edited by JLP

link

I consider him a steal at that price. No wonder he didn't want to go long term at those numbers.

I agree with JLP, Sutter's a steal at those prices, especially when compared to what I consider inflated contracts signed by UFAs. Glad #16 will be in a Canes jersey for a few more years.

Wow, those are surprising numbers, and back loaded. That put's up about 2 million, or a little less, away from the 50 million dollar budget.

Glad to have Brandon for another 3 years!

Great deal for both the Canes & Sutter!!!

Very happy to see it done. JR had to pay a lot to get that third year in this deal, but I agree that Sutter's contract is a steal for an average of just over 2M per season.

I guess he's worth almost exactly what Rosie is worth the this year and next.

Good work JR. You've left a little money in the bank for a top winger this season.

I guess he's worth almost exactly what Rosie is worth the this year and next.

Good work JR Brandon. You've left a little money in the bank for a top winger this season.

Fixed that. Sutter is an absolute gem. I hope he breaks through and gets re-negotiated by year 3 into a longer more equitable deal.

Yeah, I really do think that Sutter will put it all together this year and when he does he will be a steal indeed. Though at least he can look forward to some nice raises along the way.

Yeah also to LaRose's outsized deal. Sutter put up almost identical offensive numbers while shutting down the opposition's best and posting a +13 to Chad's -21. Ironically the best and the worst for anyone who played on the team all year long. And Sutter was best by a significant amount and Chad was the worst by a significant amount. There is a 34 goal spread between them.

Now that Sutter is in at a reasonable price, and we have a glut of wingers, wouldn't it be nice to be able to have Chad's $1.5 million to work with? I know LaRose is popular, but he can be popular at $800K on the 4th line. I'd a huge fan in that case.

Anyway this is about Sutter. Very happy about getting this done.

Echo the nice deal. I am encouraged Brandon Sutter signed for 3 years. My concern was that Sutter would sign for 1 or 2 years. A 3 year contract indicates both Sutter and the team want him in our future plans. I knew the team did but I wasn't sure about Sutter. Anyway nicely done JR now let start looking for more.

Add me to the chorus on pondering over the contrast between the Sutter and LaRose contracts. One's a steal, the other is not so much.

Anyway, :thumbsup: to this signing today.

Edited by wxray1

The more I think about it the price makes sense considering that he is too young to have arbitration rights. He will when this contract is up though. I think he would have for the third year as well, which probably explains the big raise in that year. Looking at it from the CBA perspective this is a good deal. Still technically a steal, but that is the way it works for the young guys unless you are at the Stamkos/Doughty level, I guess.

The more I think about it the price makes sense considering that he is too young to have arbitration rights. He will when this contract is up though. I think he would have for the third year as well, which probably explains the big raise in that year. Looking at it from the CBA perspective this is a good deal. Still technically a steal, but that is the way it works for the young guys unless you are at the Stamkos/Doughty level, I guess.

JLP. Good point.

I think the only head scratcher is how did our man JR get outmatched at the negotiation table by Larose's agent? He's obviously a wal-mart shopper otherwise.

I think the only head scratcher is how did our man JR get outmatched at the negotiation table by Larose's agent? He's obviously a wal-mart shopper otherwise.

LaRose actually accepted a decrease in his salary from last season. I think JR would also have excused some of the -21 because LaRose played "out of position" for much of the season, slotting him in on the 1st and 2nd lines before he "settled in" at the end of the season alongside Sutter.

Does anyone know what LaRose's stats (including his +/-) looked like when he played with Sutter? I would imagine they were much better than his numbers on any other line.

But I'd have to agree that when you look at Sutter's production and Stewart's production, LaRose -- with similar numbers -- is being overpaid for that line.

Obviously A LOT OF VALUE being placed on being an energy/spark plug.