The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Do You Agree or Disagree ?

Okay, here are the rules. I pose the first statement or question. You either Agree or Disagree. You can't agree or disagree without an explanation. After your offer your opinion, you then post your own question. So on and so forth. I'll get it started, but remember to make it clear whether you agree or disagree:

Skinner will avoid the dreaded softmore slump.

As an example i would Agree: I'll never underestimate Skinner again.

My follow-up statememt would be:

Dave Lewis has a positive impact on our defense, agree or disagree?

Once the ball starts rollin, everyone has the option of replying to any question they find interesting, then posing their own.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Dave Lewis has a positive impact on our defense, agree or disagree?

I agree, but it's really more of an idea that it can't get any worse, so it has to get better. He has some decent pieces, I'm thinking he somehow puts them together.

Poni regains his form and is a 20 goal scorer again, agree or disagree?

Poni regains his form and is a 20 goal scorer again, agree or disagree?

disagree. Poni is likely to be moved from line to line and side to side in the MO blender. It will be difficult for him to find a flow to his game. 16+ goals but not 20.

Skinner will make the jump to first line and become the scoring winger we have been looking for to compliment Staal. Agree or Disagree?

Skinner will make the jump to first line and become the scoring winger we have been looking for to compliment Staal. Agree or Disagree?

I'm hopefully disagreeing. Skinner needs to be our #1 guy on the 2nd line. This team does not have enough talent to put their best 2 scorers on the same line. If the first line has an off night, the game will be an automatic loss.

This team will finish top 15 in the NHL in faceoff percentage due to Rod Brind'Amour being more involved with the team on the ice.

I'm hopefully disagreeing. Skinner needs to be our #1 guy on the 2nd line. This team does not have enough talent to put their best 2 scorers on the same line. If the first line has an off night, the game will be an automatic loss.

This team will finish top 15 in the NHL in faceoff percentage due to Rod Brind'Amour being more involved with the team on the ice.

disagree, either you got it or dont in the faceoff circle. Otherwise Staal would be much better by now. Only way to reach top fifteen would be personelle you put in those positions not Brindy.

Boucher will play 15 to 20 games.

Agree. We didn't go out and get an experienced backup to have him sit on the pine all season. Cam will be in early retirement if Boucher doesn't get into at least 15 games.

If we're out of playoff contention at the trade deadline, Ruutu (making $4.4m this season in the last year of his contract and playing out of position at center) will be on the trading block. Agree or disagree?

Agree. We didn't go out and get an experienced backup to have him sit on the pine all season. Cam will be in early retirement if Boucher doesn't get into at least 15 games.

If we're out of playoff contention at the trade deadline, Ruutu (making $4.4m this season in the last year of his contract and playing out of position at center) will be on the trading block. Agree or disagree?

Agree, he will be on the trading block!

With Roddy being a everyday coach,,will he be able to get our guys to win more faceoffs!!

disagree, either you got it or dont in the faceoff circle. Otherwise Staal would be much better by now. Only way to reach top fifteen would be personelle you put in those positions not Brindy.

Agree; He won't be opening and closing the bench door like Peters.

Agree. Everyone with expiring contracts will be made available for the right deal if we are out at the trade deadline.

Will Zach Boychuk get his chance and finally take full advantage of it by sticking with the big club?

Agree; He won't be opening and closing the bench door like Peters.

Agree. Everyone with expiring contracts will be made available for the right deal if we are out at the trade deadline.

Will Zach Boychuk get his chance and finally take full advantage of it by sticking with the big club?

Agree with him getting the chance, disagree with him sticking.

Is Zac Dalpe all that and a bag of chips like everyone says or is he being way over-hyped.

Edited by legend-1

Agree with him getting the chance, disagree with him sticking.

Is Zac Dalpe all that and a bag of chips like everyone says or is he being way over-hyped.

Disagree. I feel like we've done this to prospects before (namely Boychuk), where they come in highly touted and find it difficult to live up to expectations. I feel like he'll be decent, but I'm not ready to make him the next Skinner.

Brandon Sutter will center the second line this year, barring an acquisition of another center before the season. Agree or disagree?

Disagree. I feel like we've done this to prospects before (namely Boychuk), where they come in highly touted and find it difficult to live up to expectations. I feel like he'll be decent, but I'm not ready to make him the next Skinner.

Brandon Sutter will center the second line this year, barring an acquisition of another center before the season. Agree or disagree?

So I have two answers for this one, depending on the following. If Zac Dalpe makes the top-6, then:

Disagree. Sutter will be locked on that 3rd line as our shutdown center between LaRose and Stewart.

If Dalpe doesn't make the top-6, then:

Agree. Sutter moves into 2nd line center and Ruutu to 1st line wing. Brent moves up to be 3rd line shutdown guy and one of the Checker centers (Mats or the Other Sutter) becomes 4th line center.

Dalpe truly is the X-factor.

Staal is primed for breakout, 90+ point year. Agree or disagree?

i think staalsie gets just under that number.. say 85...Does Sutter score over 50 points this yr?

Yes. I think Sutter will be a good point getter for us,

Wil Mo last until January 2012?

Yes. I think Sutter will be a good point getter for us,

Wil Mo last until January 2012?

Agree, but only because I'm hoping the Canes are still in the hunt for a playoff spot in January.

We have 7 defensemen signed, with 5 of them almost guaranteed to be on the ice if healthy (Pits, TKabs, Gleason, Allen & McBain). Harrison will spend more games as a healthy scratch than Joslin. Agree or disagree?

Agree, but only because I'm hoping the Canes are still in the hunt for a playoff spot in January.

We have 7 defensemen signed, with 5 of them almost guaranteed to be on the ice if healthy (Pits, TKabs, Gleason, Allen & McBain). Harrison will spend more games as a healthy scratch than Joslin. Agree or disagree?

I really like Joslin so I'm going to agree. Harrison found the healthy scratch a few times at the end of the year while Joslin played. The thing Harrison has going for him is that he is a steady defensive defenseman on a team with a bunch of offensive defensemen. Still, Joslin has too much ability going for him.

This is an interesting change up to normal posting. Nice idea to try this Coastal.

The Canes are stacked with wingers, and shy of true centers who can win face-offs. Yet we are short of first line wingers, especially if Ruutu and Skinner stay on the second line, to compliment our captain. Despite the Hemsky tease, if JR makes a serious top 6 move it will be for a second/third line center, NOT the much wished for first line winger. Agree or Disagree.

Edited by remkin

Staal is primed for breakout, 90+ point year. Agree or disagree?

Disagree: On this team, where he plays the power play, penalty kill, and the last 10 minutes of every game, his ceiling is lower, say low 80's.

Disagree: I thought Harrison had a breakout season, and will get even better. He will never be a top-4 guy, but I don't think Allen is either. Plus, he's younger, and doesn't have bum knees. I think Harrison is in the lineup more often than not. Joslin or Harrison could bump Allen.

The Canes are stacked with wingers, and shy of true centers who can win face-offs. Yet we are short of first line wingers, especially if Ruutu and Skinner stay on the second line, to compliment our captain. Despite the Hemsky tease, if JR makes a serious top 6 move it will be for a second/third line center, NOT the much wished for first line winger. Agree or Disagree.

Agree that is a more pressing hole to fill.

Boucher can win 50% of his starts, with a GAA and S% that is respectable? Agree-Disagree?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Absolutely agree Boucher can be .500%. He's knows the role, to stay prepared and it's a slim chance he'll be a starter here (given injury) versus young bucks who just want to start. So he'll be mentally ready to jump in when needed. Whats better is if the injury bug were to hit Cam we got a solid guy who like 5 years ago set the NHL record for shutouts in a row.

Can Staal take his leadership to the next level?

No, his peak was the ASG last season. Sutter and Skinner emerge to take some pressure off Staal.

Tim Gleason will have a season similar to last year, and will be traded. Agree/disagree?

No, his peak was the ASG last season. Sutter and Skinner emerge to take some pressure off Staal.

Tim Gleason will have a season similar to last year, and will be traded. Agree/disagree?

Disagree. Dave Lewis will take the purse strings off Gleason and he will be back to his usual grumpy self, where he either takes you out for ice cream, or he rips your head off. I see a bounceback year from Tim. Agree with the point about a trade, only because I think anybody with an expiring contract has value at the trade deadline if we aren't in the mix.

DJ gives Kaberle as much grief as he does Pitkanen. :couch: Agree or Disagree :)

Edited by coastal_caniac

Disagree - I think Kabs will get a bit of a honeymoon.

JR will wait until 1/2 way through the season before he gets a top 6 player - giving the young players a chance to step up. Agree or Disagree?

Edited by go_canes_go

Disagree. Dave Lewis will take the purse strings off Gleason and he will be back to his usual grumpy self, where he either takes you out for ice cream, or he rips your head off. I see a bounceback year from Tim. Agree with the point about a trade, only because I think anybody with an expiring contract has value at the trade deadline if we aren't in the mix.

DJ gives Kaberle as much grief as he does Pitkanen. :couch: Agree or Disagree :)

Agree,,if it is deserved!!!lol

Will having a new backup goalie push Cam to a Higher Level?

Will having a new backup goalie push Cam to a Higher Level?

Disagree -- even with a gazillion shots against and a bipolar defense Cam still stole a bunch of games for us. At this stage it's up to the team in front of him.

The Canes will finish in the bottom 1/3 again next season .

Disagree -- even with a gazillion shots against and a bipolar defense Cam still stole a bunch of games for us. At this stage it's up to the team in front of him.

Disagree. I'm not sure we're top 8 in the East yet, but I think we're in the mix. We're definitely in the top 2/3 of the East.

Ryan Murphy or Justin Faulk will make the team in camp, forcing a trade of one of our signed d-men. Agree or disagree.

Disagree. I'm not sure we're top 8 in the East yet, but I think we're in the mix. We're definitely in the top 2/3 of the East.

Ryan Murphy or Justin Faulk will make the team in camp, forcing a trade of one of our signed d-men. Agree or disagree.

No neither one will make it in camp,,but there may still be a trade for Pits Or Tomas later in the year,,I think it would be Pits 1st to go..

Will we get an enforcer sometime this year.

Agree/Disagree?

Edited by djharley

Agree, at this point. There are just too many if's and maybe's that are yet to work themselves out. Hopefully, that will change after training camp and we will fill that top-6 hole. But, right now I'm going with 10-12 in the Conference.

Disagree. I think Faulk is close but needs a little more seasoning in Charlotte. Murphy returns to Kitchener.

LaRose will be penciled into the top-6 before the 25-game mark. Agree\Disagree?