The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Do You Agree or Disagree ?

LaRose will be penciled into the top-6 before the 25-game mark. Agree\Disagree?

Disagree. I like what Chad brings in intangibles, but the best part of his season -- and where he looked most comfortable -- was playing alongside Sutter on that shutdown line. He just doesn't have top-6 talent. If he gets slotted in top-6 then we will end up in the bottom 1/3 of the league.

McBain gets paired with Pits on our top d pairing. Agree or disagree.

Edited by witchking-ch1

McBain gets paired with Pits on our top d pairing. Agree or disagree.

Disagree. McBain is more likely to be paired with Kaberle on the second pair.

Harrison and Joslin will paired together on the third pairing? agree or disagree

Disagree. McBain is more likely to be paired with Kaberle on the second pair.

Harrison and Joslin will paired together on the third pairing? agree or disagree

Disagree.

In that case Allen or McBain will be the odd man out. While I think Joslin and Harrison would actually be a decent third pairing, and it probably will happen for periods of time, unless there is a trade or injury I don't think they will both be in the top 6 at the same time as a rule.

Since Dalpe is the golden boy of the moment:

Of Boychuk, Tlusty, Bowman and Samson, Zac Boychuk will have the most productive NHL year this year. agree or disagree.

Disagree.

In that case Allen or McBain will be the odd man out. While I think Joslin and Harrison would actually be a decent third pairing, and it probably will happen for periods of time, unless there is a trade or injury I don't think they will both be in the top 6 at the same time as a rule.

Since Dalpe is the golden boy of the moment:

Of Boychuk, Tlusty, Bowman and Samson, Zac Boychuk will have the most productive NHL year this year. agree or disagree.

agree. though it might not be as a cane.

Canes will have more games lost to injury next season than they had this past season agree or disagree.

Agree, last season was an absolute blessing when it came to how many games the canes missed due to injuries, I feel like it was one of the first years we weren't completely plagued by injuries, it was the exception not the rule. Knock on wood though, i pray for more of the same.

Zac Dalpe will be a penciled in as a top 6 forward on opening night. agree or disagree?

Zac Dalpe will be a penciled in as a top 6 forward on opening night. agree or disagree?

Agree. I would go to inked in if there are no further moves. Of all of the mostly in Charlotte prospects Zac is the current man of the future. Provided he shows anything in camp and provided there are no further upgrades at forward a top 6 spot is Zac's to lose. While Zac would stand to lose the most by another move, I think JR's intent to get Zac a really good look is part of why a deal for a top 6 forward is less likely. Anyways, it's his to lose at this point.

While this thread by Coastal is a nice reprieve, this is the most intensely boring time of the entire dang year. Interest peaks with the draft and free agency, all that builds into...nothing, right about now. It's killing me. Agree or disagree.

Edited by remkin

Agree this is a quite boring time of year, I'm working on my fantasy football team more then the watching the Hurricanes daily doings. I think I check here so constantly hoping for another move I know isn't coming.

Top 3 most exciting games ever.

1. Cup Win.

2. Shock at the Rock

3. Miracle at Molson

Oh I know it'll be a disagree lol....

Agree this is a quite boring time of year, I'm working on my fantasy football team more then the watching the Hurricanes daily doings. I think I check here so constantly hoping for another move I know isn't coming.

Top 3 most exciting games ever.

1. Cup Win.

2. Shock at the Rock

3. Miracle at Molson

Oh I know it'll be a disagree lol....

Heck, I killed my own Off-Season thread with this one. Yep, I am bored.

Agree with a modification. I can do that cause it's my rules.

1. Cup Win

2. Miracle at Molson (which led to #1)

3. I'd go with the Jussi goal at .02 seconds to beat Jersey. I was there, and I sware that was one of the best shifts I have ever seen out of a Canes team, and that really was a springboard for the Canes that year.

This is such a good question, I'm not posting another question till folks weigh in.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Heck, I killed my own Off-Season thread with this one. Yep, I am bored.

Agree with a modification. I can do that cause it's my rules.

1. Cup Win

2. Miracle at Molson (which led to #1)

3. I'd go with the Jussi goal at .02 seconds to beat Jersey. I was there, and I sware that was one of the best shifts I have ever seen out of a Canes team, and that really was a springboard for the Canes that year.

This is such a good question, I'm not posting another question till folks weigh in.

Like it was yesterday

1. 2002 Molson Miracle - Canes even the series against the Habs in the ECF semis,,,down 3-0 in the final period ... Cole ties the game and Nikki scores the OT winner.

2. 2006 Devils series - Jersey leads on a Parise goal with 20 seconds to go... Gomez already celebrates the win on the bench... Staal ties the game with 3 seconds to go and it's again Nikki who scores the OT winner.

3. 2009 Devils series - Jersey leads 3-2 in game 7... Ruutu gets nailed left and right, Canes have chances galore with Brodeur (almost) stealing the show... with 1 min left Gleason dives to keep the puck in the zone on the PP...Joni passes to Jussi and the game is tied... then with 30 seconds to go Staal beats Marty with a wrister over his shoulder to win the game.

Honorable mentions

Jussi's "Miracle Finnish" against the Devils with .2 to go, Walker's OT winner against the Bruins and the Cup Final game.

Like it was yesterday

1. 2002 Molson Miracle - Canes even the series against the Habs in the ECF semis,,,down 3-0 in the final period ... Cole ties the game and Nikki scores the OT winner.

2. 2006 Devils series - Jersey leads on a Parise goal with 20 seconds to go... Gomez already celebrates the win on the bench... Staal ties the game with 3 seconds to go and it's again Nikki who scores the OT winner.

3. 2009 Devils series - Jersey leads 3-2 in game 7... Ruutu gets nailed left and right, Canes have chances galore with Brodeur (almost) stealing the show... with 1 min left Gleason dives to keep the puck in the zone on the PP...Joni passes to Jussi and the game is tied... then with 30 seconds to go Staal beats Marty with a wrister over his shoulder to win the game.

Honorable mentions

Jussi's "Miracle Finnish" against the Devils with .2 to go, Walker's OT winner against the Bruins and the Cup Final game.

1. Game 7 vs. Edmonton, 2006, Cup Win. Simply doesn't get better. Leading by 1, Cam sprawled across the ice to deny Pisani the tying goal... easily the best save in franchise history. That game wasn't over until Williams potted the empty netter. What an amazing game.

2. Game 1 vs. Detroit, 2002, Cup Series. Gotta admit, there's a lot of other games that can be considered. But Francis tipping in the OT winner in game 1 was huge. Detroit won the next 4, but given no one even thought we'd be in that series, to win game 1 was just awesome.

3. Shock at the Rock. I just love the Jokinen goal deflating the Devils and their fans, as they are thinking back to the goal he scored with .02 left earlier in the series. And you can almost see it in their faces, that they're thinking "where did that guy come from" when Staal skates up the right side of the ice, with speed, and lasers one past Marty. The place went dead silent. 2 goals in what, 90 seconds, late in the 3rd, to steal the win. Awesome.

While this thread by Coastal is a nice reprieve, this is the most intensely boring time of the entire dang year. Interest peaks with the draft and free agency, all that builds into...nothing, right about now. It's killing me. Agree or disagree.

Agree, totally!! I want to hibernate until Preseason. But things are getting interesting in the NFL for a change, so it's getting better, temporarily.

TOP 3 Games:

1. Game Seven, SCF 2006 (Brind'Amour lifts the Cup)

2. Game Seven, round one in New Jersey (Shock at the Rock)

3. Game Seven, round two 2009 in Boston (Public Enemy Number One: Scott Walker scores game winner)

These pants make my butt look big? Agree or Disagree.

If your pants are Cam's goalie pants then yes your butt is huge. My chest protector makes me look like I have a lovely pair of knockers while we're at it :)

Top 3 most loyal Canes ever

1. Ron Francis

2. Niclas Wallin

3. Glen Wesley

Yup, I'm expecting disagreement. Brindy could be on the list so call me on it. :)

I omitted him because he was quite the Flyer before he came here. But so was Wesley for the Bruins....tough call.

Edited by legend-1

If your pants are Cam's goalie pants then yes your butt is huge. My chest protector makes me look like I have a lovely pair of knockers while we're at it :)

Top 3 most loyal Canes ever

1. Ron Francis

2. Niclas Wallin

3. Glen Wesley

Yup, I'm expecting disagreement. Brindy could be on the list so call me on it. :)

I omitted him because he was quite the Flyer before he came here. But so was Wesley for the Bruins....tough call.

Could a guy add Chuck with the letter K to that top-3? I know he's not a player, but man, when you think of the

Whaler-Canes franchise he's a fixture.....if so, I might choose:

Ronnie Francis

Glen Wesley

Chuck Kaiton

Nic Wallin

Edited by coastal_caniac

Could a guy add Chuck with the letter K to that top-3? I know he's not a player, but man, when you think of the

Whaler-Canes franchise he's a fixture.....if so, I might choose:

Ronnie Francis

Glen Wesley

Chuck Kaiton

Nic Wallin

Chuck cost us the playoffs this past season. It was the only game we lost after leading after two periods, against Washington. Late in the season. Chuck comes on as the 3rd period is starting and he's all "Let's see if the Canes can keep their perfect record going of winning every game that they lead after 2 periods. That's right; the Canes have not lost a game this season when they hold the lead after 2 periods."

And I'm yelling at the radio "SHUT UP, CHUCK!!! SHUT UP!!! YOU ARE JINXING US!!!!"

And he did. We lost. Wouldn't have needed that TB game.

Thanks, Chuck.

Chuck cost us the playoffs this past season. It was the only game we lost after leading after two periods, against Washington. Late in the season. Chuck comes on as the 3rd period is starting and he's all "Let's see if the Canes can keep their perfect record going of winning every game that they lead after 2 periods. That's right; the Canes have not lost a game this season when they hold the lead after 2 periods."

And I'm yelling at the radio "SHUT UP, CHUCK!!! SHUT UP!!! YOU ARE JINXING US!!!!"

Thanks, Chuck.

I did the same thing.

1. Ron Francis

2. Glen Wesley

3. Rod Brind'Amour

The obvious 3. But it's true.

Agree or Disagree:

IF we get a top 6 player via trade to accompany Staal and whoever else in the first line, Staal returns to 100 point production form.

Thanks, Chuck.

Chuck also used the word "shutout" during a game against Atlanta...and they still got the shutout.

IF we get a top 6 player via trade to accompany Staal and whoever else in the first line, Staal returns to 100 point production form.

Agree, but that's pretty easy to agree to.

Let's go a little outside of the Hurricanes...tell me, do you agree that I've correctly identified at least four of the six division winners for the upcoming season?

Northeast: Boston Bruins

Atlantic: Pittsburgh Penguins

Southeast: Tampa Bay Lightning

Central: Detroit Red Wings

Northwest: Vancouver Canucks

Pacific: San Jose Sharks

Agree or Disagree:

Disagree.

Another top-six player would likely help Staal's production and everyone else for that matter, but I doubt it will be enough for him to repeat his production from the Cup year. He neither has the anonymity and offensive freedom he enjoyed back then, much like Skinner did last season, nor does our current trial and error - mix and match - top-six lineup even remotely resemble the Cup year's top-six with their .9 points per game average or better, 436 point total, including 71 powerplay goals, 13 shorthanded goals and 26 game winning goals.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Agree or Disagree:

Our FO% will improve now that Brindy is behind the bench.

Disagree.

Another top-six player would likely help Staal's production and everyone else for that matter, but I doubt it will be enough for him to repeat his production from the Cup year. He neither has the anonymity and offensive freedom he enjoyed back then, much like Skinner did last season, nor does our current trial and error - mix and match - top-six lineup even remotely resemble the Cup year's top-six with their .9 points per game average or better, 436 point total, including 71 powerplay goals, 13 shorthanded goals and 26 game winning goals.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Agree or Disagree:

Our FO% will improve now that Brindy is behind the bench.

Disagree with the FO%. If Roddy could teach Staal and Sutter, et. all, he would have done it already. The way to improve FO% would be to bring in another center. We could try to use Jussi more if needed.

On the Staal's 100 point year, I never tire of discussing that team. The key that year during the regular season, and with 112 points really only significantly beat by an All Star Red Wings team, was scoring depth. Why could that team come back? It was a powerhouse of scoring depth.

We went 7 deep with 50 point guys. But also our top 3 guys put up 250 points. Stillman had 55 assists, buy don't forget J Willy had 45 assists. Heck Staal himself had 55 assists. Brindy put up 31 goals, while playing two ways. Our third line center, who I alluded to in my last post, had 25 goals.

In the playoffs Cam arrived about 3 years ahead of schedule and our powerplay went from #17 to #2 and basically tied for #1, on top of other factors.

So anyway, we had a real bonefide top line, and scoring depth. That team was for real. That gives you an idea of what Staal can do if he is surrounded with real top line players and a real solid second line that teams really had to worry about.

BTW that team was #20 in goals against during the regular season. I know that defense is important, but that was the year I became a rabid fan, so maybe that explains my focus on offense.

To the scoring end I pose this:

In our current line-up the Canes have 5 bonefide, year in-year out scorers. They had 7 during the regular season 05-06. While it is unlikely that JR will actually go get a top winger for Staal, if just two of Poni/Stewart/Boychuk/Dalpe/Sutter/LaRose/Tlusty gets close to 50 points we will have the same depth as that year. Not quite the top line scoring, so not quite as good, but still not bad.

Of the question mark guys, which player will have the most points this year? Poni/Stewart/Boychuk/Daple/LaRose/Sutter/Tlusty?

OH, agree-disagree. OK Poni will have the most points. agree/disagree

How many and which players will get near 20 goals of those above?

Sutter/Poni. Agree/Disagree.

Edited by remkin

OH, agree-disagree. OK Poni will have the most points. agree/disagree

How many and which players will get near 20 goals of those above?

Sutter/Poni. Agree/Disagree.

Agree: On Poni having the most points. I think he'll be given every opportunity to be Cole's replacement on that 1st line, so I think he'll see more scoring chances than any of the others you've listed. Hard to believe this guy was considered THE trade chip just 18 months ago when the Pens scooped him up. Really really really hoping that re-uniting him with Mo and having a few former Leaf teammates around him re-ignites his career.

Agree but also Disagree: While I think Sutter and Poni both net 20, I'm going to add LaRose to that mix. I really think that locking him down on that 3rd line for the full season will give him a sense of comfort he hasn't had when line juggling. I'm picking LaRose as my dark horse to net at least 20 this season.

Agree/disagree: Ruutu, in a contract year, will net 25+ goals and 45+ assists (70+ points).

Agree/disagree: Ruutu, in a contract year, will net 25+ goals and 45+ assists (70+ points).

Disagree: I think it's safe to say Ruutu will never reach 70 points. His plateau was likely this year, and he was healthy.

I'm glad JR didn't sign Corey Stillman. Agree\Disagree?

would like to see stillmanin in a canes uniform... he calms things down out there. so agree or disagree, canes can finish as high as 6th...

would like to see stillmanin in a canes uniform... he calms things down out there. so agree or disagree, canes can finish as high as 6th...

Agree...I'm not sold on Tampa Bay with Roloson and St Louis and others are not exactly spring chickens either. Ithin Philly has a LOT of questions to answer as well, will Pronger be healthy? Will they be able to find some chemistry now that Carter, Richards and Leino are gone? How will Bryzgalov handle the spotlight?

We missed the 6 spot by 5 points and if the peices come together I think we have upgraded enough to get there.

Agree or disagree...The addition of Dave Lewis will have a significant positive impact on the power play and development of the young blue liners

Agree...I'm not sold on Tampa Bay with Roloson and St Louis and others are not exactly spring chickens either. Ithin Philly has a LOT of questions to answer as well, will Pronger be healthy? Will they be able to find some chemistry now that Carter, Richards and Leino are gone? How will Bryzgalov handle the spotlight?

We missed the 6 spot by 5 points and if the peices come together I think we have upgraded enough to get there.

Agree or disagree...The addition of Dave Lewis will have a significant positive impact on the power play and development of the young blue liners

Agree. Of course, that's the ONLY way we can sniff as high as 6th in the East this year. If Lewis DOESN'T have a significant positive impact, then I think we're in the 10-12 range.

Agree/disagree: Jiri Tlusty will not make the opening day roster.

Agree. Of course, that's the ONLY way we can sniff as high as 6th in the East this year. If Lewis DOESN'T have a significant positive impact, then I think we're in the 10-12 range.

Agree/disagree: Jiri Tlusty will not make the opening day roster.

Agree Tlusty will be part of a trade before opening day.

Agree / Disagree: With the departure of Cole, the new additions and another year under his belt Eric Staal will step up and become the leader of this team in more than just name only

Agree Tlusty will be part of a trade before opening day.

Agree / Disagree: With the departure of Cole, the new additions and another year under his belt Eric Staal will step up and become the leader of this team in more than just name only

Wow... not sure how to respond to this one, but I suspect it could spark a thread of its own.

If I Agree, then it suggests that I believe Staal needs to "step up".... if I Disagree, then it suggests I believe Staal already has stepped up.

Hmmm.

Well, this is one of those arguments that I have with my wife regularly during the season.

See, I believe Staal already is the leader of this team, in more than just name only. Is he the fiery, get-in-your-face type of leader that Roddy was? No. There's no doubt that Staal lets his play speak for itself, and by being an almost PPG player he's carried this team on its back, been our leading scorer for the past five seasons (or one of the top ones), etc. Last year's All-Star game really showed off his hosting skills.

And as I point out to my wife: "WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN THE LOCKER ROOM." But if Staal is half as engaging with his team as he was with the players over AS weekend, then isn't he already the leader, in more than just name? Off the ice, he does the interviews, he does the charity events, he has his own kid's charity project, etc. Isn't he doing everything we expect the team Captain to do? And in the case of being on the ice, even moreso?

My wife would say that he lacks... something. Perhaps emotion. She'll point to Tim Gleason or Chad LaRose or Tuomo Ruutu as guys who lay it all on the ice... and admittedly Roddy was one of those kinds of guys. I think part of the problem here is that we're expecting Staal to be the same KIND of leader that Rod was... but he's not. He's Eric Staal. He's going to score more goals than Rod did in his career. He's going to play hard -- almost effortlessly some might say -- and lead his team by going on the ice and getting points, getting goals in key situations, being clutch in the playoffs.

Is he going to go nose first into the ice on FOs, though? Probably not. Is he going to finish his checks? Maybe... sometimes. Is he going to give a rousing speech to electrify the team? I don't know... does he?

There are whispers that he sneaks out after practice so that he doesn't have to sign autographs. When we went to a practice last year at the RBC Center, he stopped -- in his very nice Maserati by the way -- and signed for every person waiting outside in the cold.

I guess I believe that Staal will continue to grow into his leadership responsibilities. Let's not forget that Rod didn't become Captain until after Francis retired, so he was already in his 30s. Staal took the C in his mid-20s. I think that makes a difference.

But I think we need to let Eric lead the way he's going to lead. I would wager that there isn't a single Cane on this team who doesn't already recognize him as their leader.

Rather than post another agree/disagree, I'm going to leave this one open, because I'd love to hear what others think about Staal and his leadership abilities/potential.