The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Do You Agree or Disagree ?

Disagree. While I've critisized Cole up till last year, he really did find his game and his mojo last year. That was no fluke, he brought it night in and night out and while I'd like to deny the impact of his loss as much as the next guy, not keeping him is a big loss. Of course it assumes that he stays relatively healthy, but if he does he will put up 52-65 points. He has historically played well in Montreal also. On his numbers for last year, he would have had even more had he started the year the way he played in the last 3/4 of the year. Just hope he doesn't light us up.

EDIT: Dang. Sorry, hag65 I had this qued up but didn't post right away. I guess it can be point-counter point. I will put a twist on it though, I agree that it was a bad move for Montreal. They overpaid for an injury prone, injury senstive player, and year 4 of that deal might feel a lot different than year one.

I'm running out of ideas but:

Agree or Disagree: Zac Boychuk, Ryan Murphy, and Drayson Bowman: none will make the roster for opening night.

Agree. But I have to say that Bowman SHOULD be able to beat out Tlusty to play on the 4th line. If he doesn't... is it time to give up on him? I think Boychuk is already trade bait. The only way he makes the opening night roster is if Dalpe stumbles in camp or if someone gets hurt. Boychuk is probably the 1st guy to get called up and can play 3rd line with Sutter and LaRose.

As for Murphy, the only way he makes this roster is if JR pulls the trigger on a deal with a d-man that opens up a spot.

However, I really think that Dalpe > Boychuk, Tlusty is gonna beat out Bowman and our D is set. Sadly.

Agree/disagree: Staal will be our only All Star this season.

I agree based on the past but it could easily be otherwise Skinner and Cam both are all-star game material it just depends on whether or not they bring their game. Staal could have a 50 point season and be in the game. He's one of those big name guys.

Agree or Disagree the likeness's of the bobbleheads aren't even close in most cases.

I agree based on the past but it could easily be otherwise Skinner and Cam both are all-star game material it just depends on whether or not they bring their game. Staal could have a 50 point season and be in the game. He's one of those big name guys.

Agree or Disagree the likeness's of the bobbleheads aren't even close in most cases.

Your kidding, right? :grin:

staalbobblehead.jpg

Agree or Disagree that this season Tripp Tracy will rise to a new level of annoyance.

Agree/Disagree:

The Hurricanes will have relatively serious attendance issues this season.

Since I killed your question, I'll take a stab at it. Disagree. I do think, however, that this might be a reason for JR/PK to try to land one relatively big forward up front. Not only to win games, but to create interest. A guy like Hemsky brings the razzle-dazzle that people will pay to see, and adds a potential 4th All Star caliber player. With Skinner, Staal, and Hemsky all being worth the price of admission, it could increase the buzz and excitement around the team.

Still, even without that, I think the term "relatively serious" is why I'm disagreeing. This team's attendance base is pretty steady. Even when the team stunk out loud losing 12 in a row, or whatever it was, some people went. While the economy stinks and the team has made few moves that will cause much interest, the baseline interest will still be there. In terms of pro sports they are the only game in town, and what fans they have are pretty good ones.

It would be very curious though to know the economic effect of adding a new high buzz factor player, who was fun to watch and who brought some wins and maybe some playoff games.

Back to Coastal's (I have an answer, but not to hog the questions):

Agree or Disagree that this season Tripp Tracy will rise to a new level of annoyance.

Since I killed your question, I'll take a stab at it. Disagree. I do think, however, that this might be a reason for JR/PK to try to land one relatively big forward up front. Not only to win games, but to create interest. A guy like Hemsky brings the razzle-dazzle that people will pay to see, and adds a potential 4th All Star caliber player. With Skinner, Staal, and Hemsky all being worth the price of admission, it could increase the buzz and excitement around the team.

Still, even without that, I think the term "relatively serious" is why I'm disagreeing. This team's attendance base is pretty steady. Even when the team stunk out loud losing 12 in a row, or whatever it was, some people went. While the economy stinks and the team has made few moves that will cause much interest, the baseline interest will still be there. In terms of pro sports they are the only game in town, and what fans they have are pretty good ones.

It would be very curious though to know the economic effect of adding a new high buzz factor player, who was fun to watch and who brought some wins and maybe some playoff games.

Back to Coastal's (I have an answer, but not to hog the questions):

Disagree. Trip has already risen as high as possible on that scale.

Agree or Disagree - I poked around in my tailgating supplies this weekend, making sure everything was in order, and made a list of things to get to be spot on when the big event is upon us. :woot:

Agree or Disagree - I poked around in my tailgating supplies this weekend, making sure everything was in order, and made a list of things to get to be spot on when the big event is upon us. :woot:

The Mighty Karnak says... disagree. He believes you sat on your couch and watched pre-season football, the PGA championship and re-runs of last year's NHL Stanley Cup playoffs on NHL Network.

But Karnak might be confusing you with me. :-)

Agree/disagree: Despite a new defensive coach and a change in personnel (TKabs for Corvo), Canes goalies will still see more shots this year than any other team.

Agree/disagree: Despite a new defensive coach and a change in personnel (TKabs for Corvo), Canes goalies will still see more shots this year than any other team.

Disagree. Seeing the most shots in the league is a tough stat to take. Even though I believe our defensive style is responsible for us facing more shots, (counterintuitive as it may seem, if you are backing up all the time and play more of the game in your own end, you will face more shots, albeit less threatening shots than the odd man rushes that offensive teams face), I believe the new coach will improve the scheme enough to avoid that embarrassment.

Agree/Disagree: The very nature of this thread will ultimately make it the longest running and highest posted thread in Canes Discussion Board history, even though it will take years.

Edited by hag65

Agree/Disagree: The very nature of this thread will ultimately make it the longest running and highest posted thread in Canes Discussion Board history, even though it will take years.

Disagree: Maybe longest for this board, but the Canes' Poutine thread over on HF Boards had more than 6,000 posts over a couple of years. It was finally cut off and Poutines II was begun.

Agree/Disagree: Poutines are better than french fries.

Edited by g105

Disagree: Maybe longest for this board, but the Canes' Poutine thread over on HF Boards had more than 6,000 posts over a couple of years. It was finally cut off and Poutines II was begun.

Agree when your in Canada, I look forward to them when I travel there. But fries are way more versatile. I've always wondered just what else do you eat with poutine?

Agree or Disagree: Southern folks would figure out a way to fry poutines, rendering them forever a legend in cooking lore. :grin:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Agree, but only because there is more to Poutine than just plain fries. Kinda would be like comparing a loaded pizza to a crepes pancake. I know French-Canadians rave about that stuff but I tried it in Montreal, Quebec City, Cap-D'espoir and Blanc-Sablon and I wasn't impressed. Then again, I'm no big friend of French-Canadian culinary cuisine anyway. To each their own I guess.

Agree/Disagree: Skinner-Jussi-Ruutu will be the highest scoring line on the Canes.

Agree when your in Canada, I look forward to them when I travel there. But fries are way more versatile. I've always wondered just what else do you eat with poutine?

Agree or Disagree: Southern folks would figure out a way to fry poutines, rendering them forever a legend in cooking lore. :grin:

Umm....

Disagree. Poutine = fresh hand cut potatos (fries) with dark gravy and cheese curds. No matter who fries "poutines" would render a legend for sure though I doubt it would be a positive one. :grin:

Umm....

Disagree. Poutine = fresh hand cut potatos (fries) with dark gravy and cheese curds. No matter who fries "poutines" would render a legend for sure though I doubt it would be a positive one. :grin:

I know what poutine is. But, obviously, you are not from around here sir, and under estimate our fryin ability. ;) I'm willing to throw down and try it for the first Montreal or Toronto game.

Agree/Disagree: All you need is some House Autry chicken and seafood breader to make poutine a legend in the south. And a FryDaddy. Edit: forgot to add some Texas Pete hot sauce.

Edited by coastal_caniac

man, u guys are bored huh??:)

How can you tell?? :beach:

I know what poutine is. But, obviously, you are not from around here sir, and under estimate our fryin ability. ;) I'm willing to throw down and try it for the first Montreal or Toronto game.

Agree/Disagree: All you need is some House Autry chicken and seafood breader to make poutine a legend in the south. And a FryDaddy. Edit: forgot to add some Texas Pete hot sauce.

What, no powdered gravy and spongy curds over soggy potatos fried in walrus grease?

I like where you're taking this though. :notworthy:

man, u guys are bored huh??

Agree. Canes related news is hard to come by. Brindy camp will start next week and training camp is approaching. That should give us something to talk about. Until then this is the best thread of the off season.

Agree/Disagree: Skinner-Jussi-Ruutu will be the highest scoring line on the Canes.

Disagree. Staal's line will be the top scoring line. I think it is possible Ruutu will be part of the Staal line.

Agree/Disagree The new head shot rule will open up the game and favor the Canes style of play?

Agree. Canes related news is hard to come by. Brindy camp will start next week and training camp is approaching. That should give us something to talk about. Until then this is the best thread of the off season.

Disagree. Staal's line will be the top scoring line. I think it is possible Ruutu will be part of the Staal line.

Agree/Disagree The new head shot rule will open up the game and favor the Canes style of play?

Disagree. I'm glad to see the rule change, but I'm not sure how frequently these types of hits are occurring in games. Obviously Staal took a shot last year that kept him out of a game and a half, and Crosby's hit is well-documented (though didn't that occur AFTER the whistle?). I don't think guys are going to change up their play-style that much, because the head-hunting is limited to a few bad eggs.

Agree/disagree: JR will pull the trigger on a trade prior to the regular season starting.

Agree/disagree: JR will pull the trigger on a trade prior to the regular season starting.

Disagree, sadly. JR has made his bed, and it seems increasingly clear that unless someone comes along and offers something too good to be true, he is going with plan A, which is to see how this group looks. The thing is, it is really hard to do that in preseason. Poni and Stewart are the keys and they are not likely to look really bad in camp/preseason, which would be the only other way JR makes a move. Been down this road before. JR actually means what he is saying. If the "right" deal came along, I do think he'd do it, but that is unlikely. Unlike some others, I do think we are one piece away. JR, may think so too, but he's not going to pay for it.

Of course I hope I am wrong and part of me is taking this view to be surprised. But at this point it would be a surprise. Making a big trade at this point in the year would be against type.

Agree-Disagree: The Canes Web guys need to get something other than the 30 in 30 thing up there. Every day I come on hoping to see that big trade. Every day I see 30 in 30.

Edited by remkin

Agree-Disagree: The Canes Web guys need to get something other than the 30 in 30 thing up there. Every day I come on hoping to see that big trade. Every day I see 30 in 30.

Agree. Not only is it depressing to see no new news, for some reason my subconscious keeps reading that as "The Canes are the 30th best team out of 30"

Agree/Disagree: Watching a game from directly behind the goal is superior to watching a game from center ice.

Agree, the game I sat behind the goal was amazing. You know it's a goal before most everyone else does :)

Agree or Disagree the new Staal on the forums border is entirely to bright. It's giving me a headache.

Disagree. But I have cataracts. :wheelchair:

Agree/Disagree: We're all bored out of our minds at this time of the year.

Agree. the evidence is overwhelming.

agree/disagree: the fact that panthers pre-season is the most exciting thing going on now is depressing.

Edited by Ichigo-1

agree/disagree: the fact that panthers pre-season is the most exciting thing going on now is depressing.

Happy to disagree... now - the Braves are kicking butt and taking names. I haven't followed baseball since the steroid era, but living around Atlanta has introduced me to the new MLB that is quickly growing on me. The guys I used to watch are all commentators and analysts now... it's weird.

GO BRAVES!

Agree/Disagree:

Ron Francis' short stay behind the bench was a failed experiment.

Edited by jb_online

Happy to disagree... now - the Braves are kicking butt and taking names. I haven't followed baseball since the steroid era, but living around Atlanta has introduced me to the new MLB that is quickly growing on me. The guys I used to watch are all commentators and analysts now... it's weird.

GO BRAVES!

Agree/Disagree:

Ron Francis' short stay behind the bench was a failed experiment.

Disagree: I think the purpose of his tenure behind the bench was to broaden his skills for a management position, not to make him a coach. It was good experience for him as he moves on/up.

Agree/Disagree: The Bobcat arena will sell out the Canes-Jets preseason game in Charlotte.

Disagree. It's a Sunday night game and a sellout would have to be 14k. I do expect a good crowd, but not sell-out.

A/D: The Canes will trade a prospect or two for a NHL'er at least once this season?