The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Do You Agree or Disagree ?

Agree/Disagree: The Bobcat arena will sell out the Canes-Jets preseason game in Charlotte.

I'm gonna Agree, why not, and I can't come up with a reason not to.

Agree or Disagree: Ron Francis will take over as full time GM within 5 years.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Agree, as long as everything stays on course with the plan. And I agree with g105, Francis's tenure behind the bench was more for the experience than the result. Although a better result would have been welcomed ;)

Agree or Disagree:

When the broadcast schedule comes out, the Canes will get the same 65 out of 82 games televised, all in HD and with 1 Nationally televised game scheduled that will eventually get bumped for a Bruins, Flyers, Pens, Blackhawks or Red Wings game.

(Schedule should be coming within a couple of weeks)

Agree, although it should be interesting on whether PK Jr. gets the nod, as I thought he was assistant GM right now, or he is only GM of the Checkers? Regardless, I think Ronnie is being groomed for that job.

A/D: Brind'amour will take over as head coach within 5 years.

Agree or Disagree:

When the broadcast schedule comes out, the Canes will get the same 65 out of 82 games televised, all in HD and with 1 Nationally televised game scheduled that will eventually get bumped for a Bruins, Flyers, Pens, Blackhawks or Red Wings game.

(Schedule should be coming within a couple of weeks)

Disagree. Last seasons All-Star game success will get us at least 2 nationally scheduled televised games that will be bumped for a Bruins, Flyers, Pens, Blackhawks or Red Wings game.

A/D: Brind'amour will take over as head coach within 5 years.

Disagree but only because it is to early to tell. I think Brindy has the right stuff to be the head coach within 3 -5 years but until he actually tries it out behind the bench as an assitiant for a season or two we won't know. Daniels and Lewis could also challenge for the job. It is just to early to tell.

Agree/Disagree: Peter Karmaos will sell the Canes within the next 5 years?

Agree/Disagree: Peter Karmaos will sell the Canes within the next 5 years?

As in sell 100% of the organization? If so, then I say I disagree - from what I've read, he "likes owning an NHL team". I don't think he'll get out. But if you meant he'll sell the minority portion of the team, I think I would agree - it has also been written that he has several local investors on the hook and he just wants to get a couple more to bite.

About Francis behind the bench, I'm curious to your opinions. What exactly does being assistant head coach for a season have to do with being a general manager? I don't think JR was ever a coach, was he? I just don't see the connection, please help me understand.

Agree/Disagree: With Peters in goal, the Charlotte Checkers will return to the AHL playoffs and go even farther than last season.

As a newly born Checkers Maniac (we have to come up with a word for that.. Checkmanic? Sounds like Roman Chechmanek a little doesn't it?) I will whole heartedly agree. However, a lot of that hinges on how we do with the new Western opponents, but the point totals were way higher in the East last year with WBS leading the way, so maybe we will be in the "easier" conference? I liked Pogge, but I like Peters getting his playing time which means someone had to go. We retained a lot of our core talent and picked up some good ones in the draft. If Justin Faulk doesnt make the jump to Raleigh he will be a beast in Charlotte. He played like a men among boys in the playoff game I watched, and he was 18 playing on an amateur tryout so he wasn't even getting paid! (Except his signing bonus since he had inked his contract).

I didn't scroll through all the questions, so this may have already been asked. Ryan Murphy will start the season in Carolina? Talk amongst yourselves...

You know, I'm going to agree here. But I think after the 9 game deadline he goes back down to the juniors, then signs with the Checkers in the spring for a playoff run (assuming the Checkers make the playoffs).

Since no one answered it the first time :cry: I'll ask again. The Canes will trade a prospect or two for a regular NHL'er this season. Agree or Disagree?

You know, I'm going to agree here. But I think after the 9 game deadline he goes back down to the juniors, then signs with the Checkers in the spring for a playoff run (assuming the Checkers make the playoffs).

Since no one answered it the first time :cry: I'll ask again. The Canes will trade a prospect or two for a regular NHL'er this season. Agree or Disagree?

Agree. I think we'll move Boychuk and possibly one other (if not one of our stock-piled draft picks) to get a veteran. The question will be "When?" I think we'll actually see the move made by Thanksgiving... and possibly sooner, if things look horrendous in pre-season/first 10 games.

Agree/disagree: I'm going to ask a "sort of" Canes question, about a former Canes player. Mike Commodore should have gone forward with the request to wear #64 for the Wings this season. Having a "Commodore 64" would have been great!

Agree/disagree: I'm going to ask a "sort of" Canes question, about a former Canes player. Mike Commodore should have gone forward with the request to wear #64 for the Wings this season. Having a "Commodore 64" would have been great!

Agree, but only if we can get TyleR Seguin to change his number to "80" so that we could potentially have a "Commodore 64" taking on a "TRS 80" in the Stanley Cup final. (Kinda had to force that one)

Agree/Disagree: The best defense is a great offense

Agree, but only if we can get TyleR Seguin to change his number to "80" so that we could potentially have a "Commodore 64" taking on a "TRS 80" in the Stanley Cup final. (Kinda had to force that one)

Agree/Disagree: The best defense is a great offense

Well, I think we'll see the answer to that one on the ice this year!

But seriously, I'll disagree. We had a pretty good offense last season, but that didn't help us keep pucks off of Cam or out of our net. We still need d-men to clear the puck out in front and get those rebounds going in the other direction.

A/D: With Lewis coaching him, Pits will record more than 100 hits this season (he had only 66 last season).

A/D: With Lewis coaching him, Pits will record more than 100 hits this season (he had only 66 last season).

Disagree. This is not really a huge part of Joni's game. For some reason I can only find the last two years worth of stats related to hits and for both years he was at 66. I don't believe he has ever been higher than 75 in his career. He may go up slightly but I don't see him getting credit for 100+ hits. On the subject of hits though, the stat itself is very subjective in how it is recorded. Most of us here would say Gleason had a very passive year, but looking at his stats he had 66 more hits than he did the previous season. Of course he also played in 19 more games.

A/D: Victor Rask will play in Charlotte this season instead of returning to Sweden.

A/D: Victor Rask will play in Charlotte this season instead of returning to Sweden.

I'll take a crack at this one, although honestly who knows? I'll say agree.

I found this quote from a while back on the website. ( http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567337 )

"Despite his skills, Rutherford did express some caution about Rask’s readiness to play in the AHL, calling it an “option” rather than something he knows he wants to do.

“That’s a big jump, and it’s a much bigger jump than people think,” said Rutherford. “We all saw Jeff Skinner have a phenomenal year last year and jump to the NHL, but there are not many guys that can do that. Even to go to the American Hockey League and play at a young age is pretty tough."

On the other hand, I've seen several suggestions that this guy has the real, high level skills. I love this line in the same article. By our chief scout Tony McDonnald:

“You don’t want to say we stole him, but we were pretty pleased he was there for us in the second round.”

Apparently Rask was at one time ranked very highly, definitely first round skills. Also "good in the face-off circle". True as a teenager even the AHL is tough, but we have so many prospects, it would seem like a better move to get in there.

Given that about 1/4 of 2nd rounders ever have any kind of NHL career, the Canes have made some nice 2nd round picks of late.

Another article by P Branecky: European Intrigue at Prospects Camp - Carolina Hurricanes - Tracking the Storm also mentions our 4th rounder swiss Gregory Hofmann as at one point being ranked 11th best European skater, one notch higher than Rask.

What a stable of young prospects we now have: Rask, Hofmann, Dalpe, Boychuk, Bowman, even Riley Nash could really develop. Given our 2nd round prowess, maybe we should keep both second rounders next year.

Agree/Disagree: With our newest draft in tow, the Canes have the most exciting and intriguing group of prospects we've ever had.

Agree/Disagree: With our newest draft in tow, the Canes have the most exciting and intriguing group of prospects we've ever had.

Disagree - This is a very exciting group and maybe the most intriguing but I'm going to say the 2004/05 Lowell Lock Monsters might have been the most exciting. Granted they had Staal because of the lockout but that team was loaded. Staal, Ward-0, LaRose, Kobasew, Zigomanis, Bayda, Mcdonald, Lombardi and who can forget the infamous hockey brawl against Norfolk where Ward and Leighton went at it. You have to admit that was both exciting and intriguing.

Agree/Disagree Brindy will decide he likes coaching , JR will decide Brindy is more valuable at the bench and Brindy will be full time behind the bench before the midway point in the season

With our newest draft in tow, the Canes have the most exciting and intriguing group of prospects we've ever had.

That's easy, and no doubt about it, this is the most balanced group of prospects, if you consider our depth offensively and defensively, this Raleigh-based team has ever fielded. In fact, I can't remember any year where this team was as loaded with defensive depth as we are now.

Don't want to step on OBXR's question, so I'll pass on Agree/Disagree.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Disagree - This is a very exciting group and maybe the most intriguing but I'm going to say the 2004/05 Lowell Lock Monsters might have been the most exciting. Granted they had Staal because of the lockout but that team was loaded. Staal, Ward-0, LaRose, Kobasew, Zigomanis, Bayda, Mcdonald, Lombardi and who can forget the infamous hockey brawl against Norfolk where Ward and Leighton went at it. You have to admit that was both exciting and intriguing.

Agree/Disagree Brindy will decide he likes coaching , JR will decide Brindy is more valuable at the bench and Brindy will be full time behind the bench before the midway point in the season

Agree: On a hunch. Brindy is a very proactive guy. I have a feeling he'll be bored out of his gourd once the season gets into full swing and not be satisfied as a "player developer."

Some of you may not be aware of this, but the reason Brind'Amour is "part time" behind the bench is because he had made a previous commitment to coach his son's junior team this season and therefore doesn't want to take on extensive travel with the team at the expense of that commitment.

Edited by jbk_ltd

Since the last two posters left no question, and kind of short-stopped the thread, I'll jump in to keep it going.

Agree/Disagree: Victor Rask's play in the Traverse City Tournament will impress the Canes management to the point of getting him to North America, and he will start the season with the Checkers (and yes, despite is age, he is eligible for the AHL).

Edited by coastal_caniac

Agree/Disagree: Victor Rask's play in the Traverse City Tournament will impress the Canes management to the point of getting him to North America, and he will start the season with the Checkers (and yes, despite is age, he is eligible for the AHL).

Agree. The reviews on Rask are really good. JR seems high on his future. We will need centers in the near future. We want him in North America. Everything points to Rask starting with the Checkers.

Agree/Disagree In spite of JR's penchant to recycle Anton Babchuk will never be a Hurricane again.

Agree/Disagree In spite of JR's penchant to recycle Anton Babchuk will never be a Hurricane again.

That is the easiest one yet... TOTALLY agree. Babs really stepped in it and I don't think JR will open his front door to let that wolf back in.

Agree/Disagree: Brind'Amour couldn't teach his style of winning face offs because it was all about his core strength and not about technique.

Agree, but I think winning faceoffs is about good instincts as much as core strength and technique. You can teach people technique and build their core strength but you can't teach instinct

Agree or Disagree: After all those dry years in Toronto and finally winning it all with Boston, Tomas Kaberle will have a Stanley Cup hangover to start the season but will settle in by mid November.

Agree or Disagree: After all those dry years in Toronto and finally winning it all with Boston, Tomas Kaberle will have a Stanley Cup hangover to start the season but will settle in by mid November.

Agree. After the pressure of 2 tough fanbases to play for, it is also a factor that he'll be playing in a market where he won't take nearly as much heat if he starts sluggish. I hope the November part of the prediction comes true. Perhaps the familiarity with the Mo system will help to make the transition less of an issue.

Agree/Disagree: Before his career is over Nicklas Hagman will be pulled onto the Canes to continue the Finnish tradition.

Edited by hag65

Agree/Disagree: Before his career is over Nicklas Hagman will be pulled onto the Canes to continue the Finnish tradition.

Disagree, mainly because having a few Finns on the team now doesn't make it a tradition.

Agree\Disagree: Boychuk choosing to play in charity golf tournaments in Alberta instead of heeding JR's advice from last year and getting his butt to Raleigh sooner rather than later says a lot about why he won't make the Canes opening night roster again this year.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Disagree, mainly because having a few Finns on the team now doesn't make it a tradition.

Agree\Disagree: Boychuk choosing to play in charity golf tournaments in Alberta instead of heeding JR's advice from last year and getting his butt to Raleigh sooner rather than later says a lot about why he won't make the Canes opening night roster again this year.

Alright, since I seemed to have opened this can of worms (see the offseason thread) I will maintain my devil's advocacy and disagree.Your statement is a bit slippery. This year he is not paying attention to JR last year. Not saying it has no merit, but for all we know he ran the golf tournament past JR this year and JR told him to go for it and show up right after that. The first real game is still a month and a half away.

However, I agree with the not making the Cane's opening night roster part. It is a numbers game combined with the fact that Dalpe has clearly moved into the wonder boy top prospect inside tract and will get every chance, and I think will take them and use them.

Baring trade or injury, JR's keeping LaRose and Dwyer, and signing Stewart and Poni, there is only one spot for a guy on a two way contract. And that spot is Dalpe's to lose.

If Boychuk is not traded, he is going to have to continue to light it up in the AHL and wait for a shot. However, last year's injury situation was more like the Chess team's injury list, so he will get a chance at some point if he is still here.

Agree/Disagree: The Canes are one piece away from a solid playoff team. Bonus: If agree, what is that piece?

Edited by remkin

Alright, since I seemed to have opened this can of worms (see the offseason thread) I will maintain my devil's advocacy and disagree.Your statement is a bit slippery. This year he is not paying attention to JR last year. Not saying it has no merit, but for all we know he ran the golf tournament past JR this year and JR told him to go for it and show up right after that. The first real game is still a month and a half away.

However, I agree with the not making the Cane's opening night roster part. It is a numbers game combined with the fact that Dalpe has clearly moved into the wonder boy top prospect inside tract and will get every chance, and I think will take them and use them.

Baring trade or injury, JR's keeping LaRose and Dwyer, and signing Stewart and Poni, there is only one spot for a guy on a two way contract. And that spot is Dalpe's to lose.

If Boychuk is not traded, he is going to have to continue to light it up in the AHL and wait for a shot. However, last year's injury situation was more like the Chess team's injury list, so he will get a chance at some point if he is still here.

Agree/Disagree: The Canes are one piece away from a solid playoff team. Bonus: If agree, what is that piece?

I'm going to disagree. I think the roster we have right now is a bubble team; depending on injuries (for us and others) and whether some of these projects work out, we could be anywhere from 6th to 11th in the East.

But a solid playoff team, to me, is top 5. I don't think one piece gets us there.

I think these are the pieces we're missing:

1. A true 2nd line center. Ruutu isn't it. He's keeping that seat warm, either for Skinner to mature into the position or someone else to come in.

2. A true 1st line winger for Staal. We can argue back and forth as to whether Jokinen can serve that purpose on one side, but right now we don't have a true, proven winger alongside Staal.

3. A true 1st pairing shutdown D man. Pits to me is a 1st pairing guy, but he's an offensive puck-mover. I'm thinking Chara/Pronger type player. We don't have the kind of guy who will eat minutes and keep people out of Cam's face in front of the net.

A/D: Skinner will be playing 2nd line center by the end of this season.

Edited by witchking-ch1

A/D: Skinner will be playing 2nd line center by the end of this season.

I will disagree simply to say unless there is a trade which brings in a top 6 winger, Skinner will find himself alongside Staal. Being selfish for my fantasy team, I would love for Skinner to return to his natural position though.

A/D: witchking-ch1 is really good at killing threads for long periods of time.