The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ericncsu

2012 NCAAF Thread

What better way to start off the 2011 NCAA Football thread with a season preview. Here is my take on the upcoming season for the prominent North Carolina teams (UNC, NCSU, ECU, Duke, Wake, App State). I didn't want to take on the full ACC since I'm not as familiar with those teams, so I threw in the two non-ACC big name NC Schools instead.

2011 NC Football Preview Blogpost

I've seen some people predict that UNC will implode and they give predictions like 3-9, 2-10 etc. Even as an NC State alum, I don't think they will dip too bad. I gave them the benefit of the doubt with 8 wins. I think future years will suffer more from the coaching change, this years team is pretty much set although they did wait awful late to start axing people.

All I know is that State better win like 9-10 games with the cupcake schedule we have and returning players from last year's solid team. Oh and that Glennon kid better be good.

Think I might be more excited for football this year than hockey...

Oh, I agree. I'm expecting a 9 win season but I'm mad about it. Who made up this schedule? 2 FCS teams? And Central Michigan who I was very surprised to learn was FBS. I almost thought we had scheduled 3 FCS teams, which should have automatically made us ineligible for a bowl. I really, really hope this was not scheduled in advance, i.e. someone big backed out and Southern Alabama was like.. Oh sure, we'll get crushed by you as we start to play teams above JuCo ranks. If we go 6-6 we surely don't deserve a bowl (although we would get one as many invites as they have nowadays).

With Carolina it depends on how the kids react, they have the talent and the cupcake schedule for an 8-9 win season, but if the kids give up and resign themselves to a bad season, or if they assume they will be ineligible for a bowl and they mail it in, then you could see 3-10 as some have predicted but I don't think it will be that bad.

I just saw Glennon was a top 5 ESPN QB recruit in his class of 2008. So yeah, he better be good.

Need to get off to a good start like last season and finish strong. And I have to admit something, I am very nervous for this upcoming game against Liberty. Why? because these so-called cupcake teams play with nothing to lose and are capable of beating big conference teams. Just ask VT about James Madison, or Ole Miss about Jacksonville State.

Thought you guys might like this. This guy is from PA, and has verbally committed to playing in Raleigh next season. This is the guy I was talking about in the other thread. Russell Wilson 2.0?

A couple of the plays were obviously designed runs (or rollout with pitch or keep option), but quite a few looked like he scrambled because he HAD to. Major breakdowns on the OLine, but he does have wheels for sure, making guys miss in open space and a CANNON for an arm. Overall love what I see. Verbal commits are worth about as much as the paper they are written on (see what I did there? LOL), but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Well so far an interesting start to the 2011 ACC Season. 10 teams have seen action so far, the two that are left face each other Monday night, Maryland and Miami. Could be an interesting game with Miami short some people.

On Thursday Wake Forest gave Syracuse all they could handle, but lost a heartbreaker in OT. I was shocked when they were leading 20-7 at the half. Georgia Tech pummeled Western Carolina and Virginia Tech easily manhandled App State. Carolina dispatched James Madison with ease, as did Virginia with William and Mary. State eventually took care of Liberty, but it was a little closer at times than it should have been. Clemson took care of Troy and Florida State blanked LA-Monroe. Duke and Boston College both took losses, Duke to Richmond in a very close game and BC by a TD against Northwestern. A third ACC team will be 0-1 after the Miami/Maryland game. I would imagine even with players missing Miami would still be the favorite to win this game, but you never know.

just halfway watching the Miami/Maryland game tonight and was wondering how much they paid for the design of their new uniforms. felt the same about UGA's new uniforms.

Considering the Underarmor founder/CEO is a Maryland Alum, they may not have paid anything at all. It may be given to the school as a "donation". Regardless they are strange to say the least. I thought Oregon was bad but 32 combinations? That's two years of not repeating. Although I do like what they said about how the senior captains would pick the combo for each game, like not wearing Yellow(Gold) when you play GaTech. That makes sense, contrast them and go all red.

The expensive part (I would think) would be not the jerseys and pants, but rather the helmets. Can the schools afford to have 3, 4, 5 different helmets? Some schools have two, but most I would think only wear one helmet regardless of being home or away. Do they have one helmet with a vinyl applique or are they painted and can you change them week to week? I'd think you would need at least two.

I actually liked the new Georgia uniforms, they were a little different but not god awful. The red and black helmets are actually pretty cool, but I could understand if I was a Georgia fan or alum I might not be too happy about it. If State went that way I may or may not like it. Personally I really like the nSc diamond logo, but most everyone else (and the teams "official" logo) prefers the NCS Block S logo. The football team did use the diamond logo for a while but I don't think they do anymore.

Glad State took care of Liberty but that was a little too close for comfort. Liberty is a good team though, they've won I think the last 4 conference championships so taking them lightly would have been a huge mistake.

Not sure what to think of Glennon's performance. 18-31, I guess is ok. The good thing is no INT's and he threw for a TD. Our kicking game needs some work as does the special teams line. 2 XP's that were no good is not good.

They'll need a better overall game Saturday at Wake.

Ugh.. well I knew Wake would be tough after they gave Cuse a run for their money last week, but I still expected us to win. Played like snot in the first half. Came roaring back in the second half but it wasn't enough. The pick/quick TD in the third quarter kinda killed it. Can't blame it on Glennon though, 300+ yards, 3 TDs and only 1 INT, he had a good day. Might hang that one on the D, Wake was scoring at will in the first half.

I know it's hard to talk junk after a loss, but State loses a close one to a very good Wake team, and Carolina barely beats Rutgers. Wow. 2 pts? Against a 4-8 team? Ouch.

Russel Wilson only had 189 yards, but had 3 TDs as Wisconsin pummeled Oregon State 35-0. Hard to make the comparison with Glennon, although people are trying since Russel has yet to face a real team. Northern Illinois next week continues the cupcake parade. State better come out big against South Alabama next week.

Edited by ericncsu

Not only are we playing South Alabama this year, but we are playing them again next year, and then in 2015 traveling to Mobile to play them on the road. 17-0 the last two years and 2-0 this year, but against who? Lamar? Kentucky Wesleyan? Missouri S&T? I know they want to move up to FBS, and this is their first year in FCS and they have to play somebody but why us? Who agreed to this? At least Liberty was an FCS conference champion and top 25 ranked FCS team. S. Alabama is only playing 10 games this year and probably not eligible for the FCS playoffs. They are not ranked in the FCS poll even though they are 2-0. For FBS schools, they are playing us and Kent State (mid-american), FCS Schools Lamar, Georgia State, Tenn-Martin, Texas-San Antonio, Mississippi Valley State and Cal Poly, they played a team called West Alabama who is only playing 2 games this year, another start up it would seem. And Henderson State, another team only playing 2 games.

The final score for this game needs to be 55-3. And that's not to say Glennon needs to throw 7 TDs.. in fact he may not have to do much work at all and that would be good. A team like this should not match up to our size and speed and give plenty of chances for kick return TD, punt return TD, interception returns, fumbles, blocked punts and field goals etc. I would hope they don't even score a TD against us. This game should not be even remotely close.

Well, I guess Glennon did do it all himself. 274 yards 4 TDs and no INT. I'm not sure how I feel about 35-13. I don't think it should have been that close. The defense played better, holding USA under 300 yards and having two interceptions. We sacked their QB 4 times, but we gave up four on Glennon so that's a wash. Yes, it's a win, but it doesn't speak well for us if we can't dominate a clearly inferior team.

I don't know if WRAL has updated the ticker, but just for kicks I looked at the numbers for the Glennon/Wilson comparison and surprisingly the numbers look pretty similar so far. Wilson has 791 passing yards, 8 TDs and 1 INT. Glennon has 745 passing yards, 8 TDs and 1 INT. One major difference is of course in the rushing ability. Wilson has 101 rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. Glennon's rushing yards are negative 89. Of course the other difference is Wisconsin is 3-0, while State is 2-1 and 0-1 in conference. Wisconsin has one more non-conference game and then 8 straight in conference, so we will see how they look then.

I don't like the addition of Syracuse and Pitt to the ACC. Now with 7 teams in each division (and only a matter of time before that gets upped to 16), we will have to play 6 divisional games, and only 2 non division games in football, and since State already has an automatic non divisional game in UNC, we will only play the other division teams once every 5 years. They say football is the money maker that's prompting the conference changes but this move doesn't make much sense for football, maybe basketball but not football.

Having Glennon get sacked 4 times is where one misses the mobility of RW16. I sure hope that O-Line gets better because if it doesn't this could turn out to be a rough season.

I too, do not like the addition of two new teams in the conference and I do not understand why they leaving in the first place. I'd like to tell both of them personally to get lost and/or take a hike.

Obviously the biggest concern about the 14 team league is it means they will eventually move to 16. Maybe Coach Cutcliffe is right and they will switch to north and south divisions and put UNC, State, Wake and Duke all back in the same division. But how will the handle scheduling? If you have 7 other divisional teams, and you play 8 games then you would play one team from the other division each year and rotate thereby playing each team in the other division once every 8 years? Or as Coach Cut said, increase to 9 conference games, but then you still have 7 and 2 and you would play the other teams in the division once every four years. If they did north and south divisions (going with the assumption the other 2 teams would be UConn and Rutgers as has been rumored) then you have a north division of Boston College, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt and UConn and a south division of Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, UNC, NC State, Wake and Duke. Heck, at that point you basically have the ACC vs the Big East. The only two teams in the wrong division are Miami in the south and virginia and maryland in the north (counting BC and VT originally as big east teams).

I had the idea of 4 4-team divisions or pods as some people have called them, but i got snagged on one thing. I was thinking of an NFL style schedule where you have 4 division games, and 4 non division, rotating through the other 3 divisions. Of course then it hits me, you can't play yourself, so you only have 3 division games. So you either play 7 conference games and 5 non conference, which would just weaken the ACC even further. Or add the 8th game by some wierd rotation from the other 2 divisions. How that would work I don't know. I'm sure someone somewhere is already playing with scenarios. Or do the way the NFL does, bump up to 9 conference games, so you have 4 of the same division and then 1 each from the other two division and rotate it such as first plays first, second plays second etc. That way there won't be any scheduling conflicts. If NC State would play Rutgers, then by the same token Rutgers would be slotted to play NC State. This is how I saw this working.

North - Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Boston College

East - Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Maryland

Central (since there isn't really a West)- UNC, State, Duke, Wake (Hey, we got the band back together)

South - Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson

Keeps most of the rivalries together and would help with scheduling. Then the schedule would look like this for NC State for example, we draw the south division. We play Wake, Duke, UNC, FSU, Miami, GTech, Clemson, and then as wildcards, one from the North, say Cuse, and one from the East, say Maryland. Sure the two wildcards you wouldn't rotate through and may play the same team two years in a row or not play a team for 3 or 4 years, but it works for the NFL. How you do the championship at that point I don't know. Top two records regardless of division. Florida State and Miami could meet for example, UNC and State could meet.. that would make things very interesting.

Do I like a 16 team ACC.. heck no.. but thats how I would do it.. since we aren't going to have a choice anyway might as well make it fun.

Not looking forward to the NC State/Georgia Tech game this afternoon. A team who can't stop the run against a team who's averaging 600 rushing yards a game? This will be ugly. At least UNC was able to hold them under 60 points, but they still lost. It might not be as bad as the Kansas game but unless we do something miraculous on defense we don't stand much of a chance.

State is 2-2, but since either the liberty or south alabama game doesn't count for bowl eligibility then we are really 1-2. Not looking good. Before the year started I thought we *could* be 7-0 going into the FSU game, but so far we've run into teams that are vastly improved (Wake and Cincy) over the way they looked last year, and now our "easy" win over GaTech is looking like a pipe dream. Teams I thought we could beat have improved drastically and State has regressed to the point where we don't look like we can beat anyone. And it's not the loss of Russel Wilson since despite the other amazing things he does, he doesn't play defense. Yes, there's a ton of injuries on defense but the guys who are still in there have played awful. Our secondary is great, before the cincy game we were second or third in the nation with 7 INTs. The DLine and the LB corps on the other hand is a sieve. 2 rushing TDs for the Cincy QB? Come on. And they were not designed runs.. he scrambled for them both. Was Nate Irving that good?.... you bet your wolfpack butt he was... he is sorely missed, but he graduated and deserves to be playing on Sundays which he is.

I can't find a lot of info about him other than a few snippets but I'm reading Manny Stocker (QB in the YouTube video I posted earlier) is tearing up defenses in his high school conference. All I can say is good because I don't like where this season is going and am beginning to look forward to next season. Hopefully a better O-Line comes too.

Well we started the GaTech game exactly the way we started the Cincy game. Spotted em 21 points in the first quarter.. oh but then we buckled down on defense.. it was TOO LATE!

Regardless of what the score says, that was not a 10 point game.. it was never that close. Despite the valiant comeback effort, much like the wake forest game, the game was lost by sloppy play in the first half. Stupid penalties, jumping offsides on 4th and 1 (TWICE). Letting thier RB walk into the endzone untouched three times. I knew it was going to be ugly and it turned out exactly how I expected. A small glimmer of hope when it was 21-14 early in the second half and then next thing you know its 45-14 like... wha?

Carolina man handled ECU, Clemson destroyed Va Tech, Wake beat BC, which I expected, Duke beat Florida Int. (YAY!), Virginia barely beat Idaho?? Wow.. how bad is Virginia. New ACC member Pitt made up for losing to a bad Notre Dame team with a 44-17 pummeling of ranked USF. Syracuse unfortunately didn't fare so well with a 3 point double overtime loss to Rutgers. Syracuse was leading 13-3 to start the 4th quarter. Ironically Rutgers is one of the other teams rumored to be joining the ACC.

Yeah, we probably should have beat CMU by more than 14, although they did score some points late against what I hope was the back up defense after the game was out of reach, but giving up a 77 yard TD catch and then an onside kick? Then CMU drove to the 1 yard line before State got a int. That shouldn't have been a 7 point game and it almost was. If we hadn't been up by 3 TDs they could have been going in for the tie or the win and maybe been a little more conservative with the play calling and we don't get the pick.

I was working the ticket gates yesterday at the Wake Forest game and I cannot believe they beat FSU! Florida State was an 11.5 point favorite. I knew the game would be closer then that, but I imagined Wake would still lose by 3-7 points. 3-0 in the conference. Amazing job by Wake this year.. they are pulling a worst-to-first routine. Next week they have Virginia Tech, who barely got by Miami. Clemson contiunues to look good. Ga Tech probably had thier worst game barely getting by Maryland. UNC 14-7 over lousiville with no scoring till the second half? Jeez.. people are right.. the ACC is horrible this year.. across the board.

Must win game for State today. Hate to say it but we lose today and it's over. Unless we pull off miracles against Clemson or FSU, we have to beat everyone else just to get 6 bowl eligible wins. That means also beating UNC, BC and Maryland.

Not what I would call a "good" game, but a win is a win. Still a tall order ahead of us just to finish 7-6. Have to beat UNC, BC and Maryland assuming we lose to Clemson and FSU.

That Duke Wake game was fun to watch.. and UNC got SMOKED by Clemson.

Well that was a good win for the Wolfpack yesterday, well at least defense wise. Not really impressed on the offensive side of the ball still. The UNC coach must feel like an idiot giving motivation to the State players.

I am also glad Alabama lost last night.