The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TheScottishEnforcer

Real Football (Soccer)

I was wondering how popular Football (Soccer) really was in the US. It's a global sport, but I'm just curious whether it has become popular in America. I've played the game since I was a kid & love to watch & play it, although I haven't played competitively for a few years now. It's still my second favourite sport, as Hockey is my number 1!

I support my local team Raith Rovers, who play in the Scottish First Division. Most Scots support one of the 2 "Old Firm" teams, Rangers or Celtic, both whom are from Glasgow.

Do any of you guys watch or play?

I played the game since I was a kid and grew up watching FC Bayern München during the Beckenbauer-Müller-Breitner-Rummenigge-Höneß era. Man, talk about giving my age away lol. I haven't played in decades but when time allows, I still follow them when they show Bundesliga, Champions League or UEFA Cup games over here.

Youth Soccer in America is and has been extremely popular for many reasons, primarily I believe because it is one of the cheaper sports to play (unless you are talking about travel leagues). I played soccer myself for about nine years at a variety of positions and loved it. The problem comes to the transition from youth soccer and professional soccer in terms of popularity, but the MLS has made huge leaps the past few years in terms of average attendance, I believe around 16,000 only a thousand or so below the NHL. Additionally some teams such as Seattle and LA average 36,000 and 21,000 respectively. Coverage of the sport is poor in all areas though. Admittedly the sport isn't on the top of my radar as it use to when I was younger, but then again, not many sports are, besides hockey.

We have a local soccer team here the Carolina Railhawks which is currently in first place. At least 10k people attended the professional match at NC State between Juventus vs. Chivas, a match that received very little local attention in the media and seemed to come up out of nowhere.

I watched a soccer match once - but they didn't play with sticks and every goal they scored was from a distinct kicking motion. The refs just allowed them without so much as a review! I couldn't believe it!

I was an intern with the Carolina Railhawks for a year while I was in college. It was the season before they joined the new league they are in. I learned a lot, it was fun. I see that the coloring pages I made are still up on the site, if you guys want to color. But remember to stay inside the lines.

Speaking of the Carolina Railhawks, I just found out that one of their Assistant Coach's is Paul Richie. He was a former Scotland International player, who is from my town. Small world, Huh!?

Not only that but the Head Coach & other Assistant Coach are both Scottish too! As well as a couple of players in Allan Russell & Stephen Glass.