The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

RBC Center upgrades

I think was about time for the new seats and I'm happy that they are truly red, not maroon or whatever they were (are). Some of the seats around where I sit are getting grungy and a couple have broken seat frames. I'm into my tenth year as a STH and nothing has been done over that time. For those of you who may not remember, there was a big controversy about the color of the seats when the arena was first opened. Not sure of the details, but the NC State fans hated the color of the original seats. They weren't Wuffpack Red. There was finger pointing at the Centennial Authority that provided the seats, claiming they installed the wrong color. Apparently the color was chosen by the Canes management. It went back and forth for a while with lots of finger pointing, but the original seats stayed.

Here's a portion of an article from 1999 I found:

NCSU REJECTS SEATS FOR NEW ARENA

North Carolina State University has rejected the 19,722 burgundy seats installed in the new Sports and Entertainment Arena in Raleigh and has told the Centennial Authority overseeing construction that it has breached its contract with the school. Under the university's agreement with the Authority, the seats are to be Wolfpack red.

The Authority is withholding $1.5 million in payments to the Carolina Hurricanes, who will also reside in the arena and which ordered the seats. The team has been told to work out a settlement with the university. The venue is scheduled to open Oct. 29.

The Hurricanes say NCSU officials approved the colors before the seats were ordered and that it would cost $611,000 to replace the seat cushions.

Now the question in my mind is... comfort level of the new seats. Previously there were two different styles of seats in the lower bowl. Starting at ice level in the North and South ends and up at least 3/4 of the way were much more comfortable with more cushion than those in the upper rows which were far harder on the back and backside. When my wife and I went for the Select A Seat event a couple of weeks ago we specifically scoped out the more comfortable seats even though they weren't in the exact section we wanted. Now I'm wondering if we did all that for naught and could have gone with our first choice of section instead.

Now if we could get NCSU to remove half their banners that serve no real purpose. 1970 - Sweet Sixteen (maybe not exact year). Do you really need a banner for that and theres quite a few of them.

Now the question in my mind is... comfort level of the new seats. Previously there were two different styles of seats in the lower bowl. Starting at ice level in the North and South ends and up at least 3/4 of the way were much more comfortable with more cushion than those in the upper rows which were far harder on the back and backside. When my wife and I went for the Select A Seat event a couple of weeks ago we specifically scoped out the more comfortable seats even though they weren't in the exact section we wanted. Now I'm wondering if we did all that for naught and could have gone with our first choice of section instead.

Probably since all of the lower bowl is being replaced. In addition you could have tested the comfort level of the new seats as they had a few in section 121 put together for people to sit in, to see how they feel.

Now if we could get NCSU to remove half their banners that serve no real purpose. 1970 - Sweet Sixteen (maybe not exact year). Do you really need a banner for that and theres quite a few of them.

I agree. And I went to State. But good luck leading the campaign to get NSCU to remove the meaningless banners. Keep your head down.

I'll try, figured it'd be a topic that didn't go over well. But it's rather ridicoulous it would be like the Canes posting a banner for making the playoffs.

I'll try, figured it'd be a topic that didn't go over well. But it's rather ridicoulous it would be like the Canes posting a banner for making the playoffs.

If memory serves me correctly, the Canes have a couple of banners hanging in the rafters that say "Southeastern Division Champions, 199x or 20xx." That's what got us into the playoffs, even if we fell flat in the first round. The banners still hang, years later, without meaning. They could come down.

In answer to myself, I emailed and received a response from the Canes asking if there would still be two different seat types in the lower bowl... "the seats will still be different sizes (the less cushioned have a lower back and are a bit narrower) because of the curve of the building but they will look more alike now. It's also my understanding that the new "less comfortable" seats will have more cushioning than the old version."

If memory serves me correctly, the Canes have a couple of banners hanging in the rafters that say "Southeastern Division Champions, 199x or 20xx." That's what got us into the playoffs, even if we fell flat in the first round. The banners still hang, years later, without meaning. They could come down.

Take down the Division Champion banners? Those banners don't signify just making the playoffs. They indicate that the Canes were the best team in the division for the entire year and that is not 'without meaning' as you say.

Last time I checked hanging banners is the object...not taking them down. Can you imagine the reaction from Detroit or Toronto or Boston, et al if we took down those banners? They would pillory us! They already think we don't deserve a team and taking down hard earned banners would just add to that.

According to the ticket reps, not all of the lower bowl is being replaced. Specifically, if you're paying to sit in rows A-E, you're going to be doing it in the same seats as last year.

Probably since all of the lower bowl is being replaced. In addition you could have tested the comfort level of the new seats as they had a few in section 121 put together for people to sit in, to see how they feel.

If I remember correctly those were actually part of the settlement over the seats. Instead of replacing the seats the Hurricanes agreed to do things to make the arena "more NC State" which included paying for a lot of banners around the arena.

According to the ticket reps, not all of the lower bowl is being replaced. Specifically, if you're paying to sit in rows A-E, you're going to be doing it in the same seats as last year.

Yes, that is because seats A-E are portable seats in the sideline section and only fit for hockey. NCSU BB has thier config. I believe row F starts behind the white wall and a permament part of the arena.

Yes, that is because seats A-E are portable seats in the sideline section and only fit for hockey. NCSU BB has thier config. I believe row F starts behind the white wall and a permament part of the arena.

Spot on, TBall. We sit in Row G on the sidelines, two rows above the white concrete wall. Been coveting a couple of seats on Row F because of about 6-8" more knee room. Every year, I go to the seat selection event, but the people on front of us won't give up those seats. :hairpull: