The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ericncsu

Any Word on Zack Fitzgerald?

Has anyone heard anything on Zack Fitzgerald? He's a UFA this year and no longer listed on the Checkers roster, but I haven't seen anywhere that he's re-signed with anyone else. He quickly became a fan favorite in Charlotte last year with his fisticuffs, and his charitable work with Bug's family that extends back to the Albany days. He's the nicest guy off the ice, will talk to every fan and sign every autograph, great ambassador to the game. I know he's a career minor leaguer but I'd love to see him stay in Charlotte.

As far as I know he hasn't signed anywhere else. His wikipedia profile still says he's a Checkers member. Not real credible I know but worth a mention.

Well yahoo sports still lists him under the Carolina Hurricanes as well. Ironically enough, ESPN.com lists him as playing for the Vancouver Canucks and then lists the stats from his 1 NHL game from back in 2006 or whenever. I guess they dont devote much upkeep to minor leaguers.

Well, I hate to see him leave, but I would have hated worse to see him go unsigned at all. At least he has signed on somewhere. Interesting they refer to him as a former Albany Rat rather than a former Checker.

A quick glance at the schedule and we don't play against Hamilton this year, so they must have been one of our old Eastern conference foes.

I wish him the best of luck and his Posse here in Charlotte will still be rooting for him. He's a great guy off the ice.