The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Hurricane Irene

I'm not ready to deal with another "I" named hurricane. Isabel is still fresh in my mind, as it kicked our *edit* down here in Edenton. I sincerely hope these forecasters have this one wrong and it just goes away. But, I find myself getting things in order, expecting the worst.

I'm not ready to deal with another "I" named hurricane. Isabel is still fresh in my mind, as it kicked our *edit* down here in Edenton. I sincerely hope these forecasters have this one wrong and it just goes away. But, I find myself getting things in order, expecting the worst.

Truer words were never spoken. I will probable wait until Wednesday before I start getting things ready but have already checked the batteries in the flashlights.

Isabel hit you worse then it did the Outer Banks but it was bad enough here. Lets hope Irene makes a hard right and heads out to sea.

Truer words were never spoken. I will probable wait until Wednesday before I start getting things ready but have already checked the batteries in the flashlights.

Isabel hit you worse then it did the Outer Banks but it was bad enough here. Lets hope Irene makes a hard right and heads out to sea.

I just have a bad feeling about this one.

I just have a bad feeling about this one.

I understand. I'm not down playing it. I just looked at the projected path and it sure looks like it is setting up in that Gulf Stream curve. I saw one forecaster saying there are no other storm systems to cause any sheer and it sure has a lot of open ocean to build up steam. To early to tell yet just where it is headed but it looks like it will head up the coast. I hope your feeling is wrong but I share your concern. A cat 3 or higher and I'm outa here.

A hurricane is coming, and now we just had an earthquake. Dadgum.

It's a little surreal. Looks like Irene keeps pushing East so maybe we'll get a break and she'll miss us? Folks in Wilmington don't seem too concerned right now.

I don't think OBXer and I are by any means out of the woods, as I'm only 50 or so miles east of the beach and he's got a bulls eye on his head in Manteo.

I'm worried out of my mind cause I've been through so many of these I know what to expect. And the worst case scenario is playing out, cause the most intense part of the storm will probably be at night. We lost power for 14 days after Isabel.

This sucks. I expect my avatar to be a little tattered after this one.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Lets just hope it keeps pushing east. Right now it looks like you guys are the target but she's been slowly pushing east with each update from the NHC. Did Isabel hit the Outer Banks directly or just graze by?

Stay safe out there, hopefully we'll get a good report from you and OBXer on Sunday after she passes on by.

Not out of the woods yet is correct. The forecast keeps moving it a little more east but we are still in the bulls eye. I expect we might know a little better by tonight's advisory.

I'm getting ready to batten down the hatches or leave. I guess I will make that call late Thursday or early Friday if the forward speed stays as it is. This is a big storm so I won't take it lightly.

Maybe I need to replace my storm cloud avatar with some sunshine. Can't hurt!

Lets just hope it keeps pushing east. Right now it looks like you guys are the target but she's been slowly pushing east with each update from the NHC. Did Isabel hit the Outer Banks directly or just graze by?

Stay safe out there, hopefully we'll get a good report from you and OBXer on Sunday after she passes on by.

No, Isabel was a direct hit. The eye passed right over us here in Edenton, but it took 24 hours for it to move away, which is why we had so much damage. Hopefully, this one is a fast mover.

No, Isabel was a direct hit. The eye passed right over us here in Edenton, but it took 24 hours for it to move away, which is why we had so much damage. Hopefully, this one is a fast mover.

Ugh, I remember Floyd was a slow mover too and severely flooded half of the state.

Ugh, I remember Floyd was a slow mover too and severely flooded half of the state.

Floyd (Cat-2) was a rain-maker dumping 12-20" of rain in eastern North Carolina. The Outer Banks escaped the heavy rain and although there was damage and flooding it was nothing like what people between Alligator River and Raleigh experienced. I went with a Kill Devil Hills Fire crew that brought relief supplies to Tarboro. Roads were still flooded days after the stprm and everywhere there was a river,creek or drainage ditch you could see where it had flooded. It was an awful storm.

Isabel (Cat-1) was a much slower moving storm. It was an odd storm as I remember. Although winds reached hurricane strength at times most of the storm winds were around 50 or 60 mph. But they blew constantly and began hours before the storm hit. The storm cut a breach (inlet) through Hatteras Island caused extensive flooding and downed trees and electric lines. A tornado was spawned near my house and as it passed over my house it snapped 10 large pine trees, sent a limb through my garage door and the tiles on my roof look like they exploded. Even with all the damage on the Outer Banks and it was a lot I think just west of us including where coastal_caniac lives were impacted more. At least I got power back within 48 hours.

and that in a nutshell is why we start getting a little nervous out here in the east.

I live along the coast, too, Morehead City, and this is not the type of hurricane I enjoy experiencing. Hopefully, the eastwarsd trend will continue, although it looks like the barrier islands from Cape Lookout north are in for a rough time. Take care.

Its picking up a little speed but unfortunately heading right into the Outer Banks. I just heard they're starting evacuations on Ocracoke Island now. It was heading WNW at 9mph earlier but its now NW at 12 mph. That might be a good sign that its not moving due west anymore....at least for now.

Maybe if we all blew enough air at the same time it will push it east :)

I live along the coast, too, Morehead City, and this is not the type of hurricane I enjoy experiencing. Hopefully, the eastwarsd trend will continue, although it looks like the barrier islands from Cape Lookout north are in for a rough time. Take care.

Yup. Your right there in the North Carolina version of Hurricane Alley. Keep an eye on the storm because they are unpredictable.

Its picking up a little speed but unfortunately heading right into the Outer Banks. I just heard they're starting evacuations on Ocracoke Island now. It was heading WNW at 9mph earlier but its now NW at 12 mph. That might be a good sign that its not moving due west anymore....at least for now.

Maybe if we all blew enough air at the same time it will push it east :)

LOL...I'm all for it.

Yup. Your right there in the North Carolina version of Hurricane Alley. Keep an eye on the storm because they are unpredictable.

My parents have a place at Atlantic Beach (thankfully not the primary residence), so add me to those really concerned about the Morehead City area. We've been lucky to have only lost some shingles over the years from the storms, but memories of those storms devastating other areas are still fresh in my mind. Doesn't take much erosion to really mess with the sandbars and make it extremely difficult to navigate boats either.

To those along the coast, I wish you guys the best and hope this turns out to be much less severe than we're anticipating.

She's gaining more power and still heading for the OBX. Latest predictions have Irene hitting around 2pm on Saturday, maybe its time for you guys to come to Raleigh now?

I wish I could put into words what's going through my mind right now. Everything you own in the world is in the path of a potential monster. It's a really tough call leaving your home, cause you just might not get back for awhile. Ours is a small, close knit community where people depend on each other. I struggle with that as well, and it makes leaving even tougher. I just can't do it.

They just ordered the evacuation of all tourist from the Outer Banks beginning tomorrow. Closed the schools. We will watch the forecast track tomorrow and decide in the afternoon. I have never left but this storm is impressive. Emergency Management said if the storm hits it could be 10 days or more before we could come home. A week or more away from home with a dog and 2 cats. Hmmm!!! I'll have to think about this.

Latest update puts Wilmington right back in the cross hairs and the entire NC coast at high risk. Rough weekend ahead folks.

Heading from Raleigh to Atlantic Beach this afternoon to get the house in order. Will leave that area early Friday morning to avoid some of the danger. Will be keeping everyone in my thoughts as this storm rolls through.

Stay safe stealth. get in and get out. A mandatory evacuation for Dare county residents 8a on Friday. I'm spending the day getting everything ready to go.