The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Hurricane Irene

Gas is almost gone in Edenton, the tourons from up north are stopping and filling up on our fuel as they are leaving the beach, stopping long enough to look around, since they are still on vacation. Just go friggin home, and stick to US 64 and I-95, which are the major evacuation routes in this area. At least the stations run by locals are cutting everything off when their tanks are down to 300 gallons, so there will be some for folks who live here when this thing finally pulls out.

I also heard Wally World in Elizabeth City had employees at the parking lots encouraging people to go away. Sounded like the Fire Marshall showed up because they were close to exceeding their occupancy rating - in a Super Wally World.

Why do people wait to the last minute? It's not difficult to have things on hand for these situations when you live in a hurricane prone area. It just amazes me how stupid and unprepared people can be.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I've already got the stuff I need. Heading to SC tomorrow to fill up on $3.29 gas. I'm expecting some stations may be shut down for a while after this is all said and done.

Coastal, OBXer, Stealth, hang tough. Looks like y'all are going to bear the brunt of it, though here in Wilmington we'll get it good too. This is the down side of living a mile from the ocean. Not too worried about it, should be about the same as Isabel which was mostly just a beach chewer down here. Still, we're ready for a couple days w/o power if necessary.

Will keep a good thought for y'all up there.

Latest update has landfall in Atlantic Beach as a Cat2 storm (but the pressure will equal a Cat3) that may last up 17 hours.....yikes.

Coastal, OBXer and anyone else who's at the coast, when its possible after the storm passes can you please let us know if you guys are ok?

We're getting the outer bands now. Latest report is the eyewall collapsed so the intensity is down, which is good. Big difference between cat 2 and the big cat 3/4 they were predicting.

We're getting the outer bands now. Latest report is the eyewall collapsed so the intensity is down, which is good. Big difference between cat 2 and the big cat 3/4 they were predicting.

We are just seeing the leading edge of the system now on the OBX but no real feeder bands moving in yet. With the decrease in intensity we have decided to ride it out here as has most our friends. Fingers crossed all of us on the eastern fringes of the State can get back to talking hockey in another 24-36 hours. Stay safe.

As long as this storm doesn't shift west, Wilmington looks like it'll be spared. Did they have evacuations in Wilmington? I forgot you were there too :(

We are just seeing the leading edge of the system now on the OBX but no real feeder bands moving in yet. With the decrease in intensity we have decided to ride it out here as has most our friends. Fingers crossed all of us on the eastern fringes of the State can get back to talking hockey in another 24-36 hours. Stay safe.

I remember everybody our way saying that with Isabel. Good luck your way OBXer. Good to see the change though.

I'll keep posting updates as long as I have the internet or my smart phone quits working. We've had one strong rain band so far, and our first casualty. My last remaining mater plant just blew down, dadgum.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Just got back into Raleigh after preparing the place at Atlantic Beach. The eye is heading right for our place, so that's not good, but we sit a little higher than the rest of the properties around us and have a big natural area right next to us. Hopefully that will keep any flooding by the house to a minimum. Beyond that, I just really expect us to lose some shingles, but we can manage that just fine.

My neighbor down there is riding it out and will keep me updated, so I'll post any damage reports (or hopefully a lack thereof) as soon as that information gets to me.

Just got back into Raleigh after preparing the place at Atlantic Beach. The eye is heading right for our place, so that's not good, but we sit a little higher than the rest of the properties around us and have a big natural area right next to us. Hopefully that will keep any flooding by the house to a minimum. Beyond that, I just really expect us to lose some shingles, but we can manage that just fine.

My neighbor down there is riding it out and will keep me updated, so I'll post any damage reports (or hopefully a lack thereof) as soon as that information gets to me.

I guess it has been raining in Atlantic Beach for a while now. It could still shift but it looks like Atlantic Beach might be near landfall. Good Luck with your house and good to hear your high and dry back in Raleigh.

Strong winds are forecast for Outer Banks tomorrow as we should be in the NE quadrant as the eye passes west of us. At least it is forecast to be cat 1 storm when it reaches us.

7:00 pm update from Edenton. Hunkered down with Skinner, not much wind, not raining at the moment. Albemare Sound water levels have risen about 4 inches in the last few hours, so water is starting to pile up ahead of the storm. Back at 8:00 pm.

7:00 pm update from Edenton. Hunkered down with Skinner, not much wind, not raining at the moment. Albemare Sound water levels have risen about 4 inches in the last few hours, so water is starting to pile up ahead of the storm. Back at 8:00 pm.

Here's a web cam from Topsail Island, not sure when high tide is but the waves are already hitting the dunes well ahead of the storm surge. Hope Skinner doesn't get too scared when the wind picks up, thanks for updating us.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/randyscamera-com

Water up another inch in the Sound in the last hour, but that's going by an old jackleg gauge of my neighbors. This isn't good, as the old part of town (circa early 1700's) is low. We are high at my house, about 12 feet above the sound, so I'm not too worried about that.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Water up another inch in the Sound in the last hour, but that's going by an old jackleg gauge of my neighbors. This isn't good, as the old part of town (circa early 1700's) is low. We are high at my house, about 12 feet above the sound, so I'm not too worried about that. I've got nothing better to do right now but worry and post here. Hope I'm not boring anybody.

Not at all, good to hear nothing catastrophic has happened so far.

It has been raining steady in Manteo for a couple of hours. The wind has picked up yet still only around 15-20 mph. That should change overnight as we expect gale force and then tropical storm force wind overnight. We should feel hurricane force winds sometime tomorrow morning. It looks like our neighbors to the west could get sound-side flooding.

At 11p the eye was moving slightly east. Ocracoke might now be the bulls eye. Could and probable will change again.

Hurricanes are amazingly unpredictable weather phenomena, as much as we know, it can always do the unexpected. I recall a hurricane a few years ago that parked itself right off the NC coast, did a loop, stalled, then moved on. Another one made an entire loop around the Atlantic ocean and hit land twice. And then there are the tornadoes that spawn. While I know we got good people and technology watching this and a lot of prep. to making sure everyone is safe, make sure you don't take any risk that is unnecessary, regardless of the category of the storm.

It's 4am and it's been literally raining buckets here since about 11pm nonstop, getting the ground all nice and soggy before the wind starts. the wind is starting to pick up, I'd say gusting to 40 or so. It's going to be a long day. Outside to check on things.

Edited by coastal_caniac

7a and still raining on the Outer Banks. Winds probable gusting to 40 and I expect higher gusts on the ocean front. The lights are blinking every now and then but we still have power. Looks like the eye will cross near Ocracoke then up the sound or just west of it. The forecast has the eye crossing right over Manteo and Nags Head later today.

It's 4am and it's been literally raining buckets here since about 11pm nonstop, getting the ground all nice and soggy before the wind starts. the wind is starting to pick up, I'd say gusting to 40 or so. It's going to be a long day. Outside to check on things.

7a and still raining on the Outer Banks. Winds probable gusting to 40 and I expect higher gusts on the ocean front. The lights are blinking every now and then but we still have power. Looks like the eye will cross near Ocracoke then up the sound or just west of it. The forecast has the eye crossing right over Manteo and Nags Head later today.

Hope this morning still sees all well with you coastal guys. Looking at the weather, you guys are getting a pounding.

Looks like the eye may be making landfall around Cape Lookout but then back over the sound. Atlantic Beach looks like it was getting pounded last night. Thanks for the well wishes. The day should get interesting in a couple of hours.