The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Hurricane Irene

I'm in the Rocky Mount area which is well west of the major excitement, but we are still getting some pretty significant wind and some major rain bands. The National Weather Service just had a flash flood warning for us. I'm at work, of course, making sure the mail gets delivered. You know, that whole "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". I don't see one thing in that quote about hurricanes.

Trees coming down, likely my last update for a while. Wish us luck.

Hang in there coastal. It looks like your getting sustained and strong winds. On RI sustained at 40 with gust over 60. The trees are dancing in the wind. Our winds will pick up later this morning and afternoon. So far I have seen some sizable tree limbs down but not much damage yet. Hatteras and the Nags Head beaches could be different but I haven't heard anything except no injuries reported in Dare. Scattered power outages but amazing that I still have power. We still have about 8 hours to go.

I've lost 2 trees, and loads of limbs. One large limb has hit my roof but my wife won't let me go out to look. We have 60 sustained and gusts higher. So far, so good, we don't appear to have any substantial damage to the house. Albemarle Sound is WAY high though, and I am beginning to see boat dock debris in the water. But that happens all the time around here. So far, I've been through worse noreasters. I think the worst is yet to come though. Our power goes on and off.

I just saw on the news that a pier in Atlantic Beach is being damaged by the storm and their on the backside of the storm now.

Some good news for you guys up there, the tide is heading out so hopefully that will lessen the storm surge. Wilmington is in the clear now and outside of lost power on WB and all over New Hanover County, no damage and minimal beach erosion is being reported. Atlantic beach lost half a pier and should have more damage to report.

You guys up there should be in thick of it right now according to the NHC. Hang in there and hopefully things should start improving in a few more hours. You're getting the north side of the storm right now and once that passes it should get a little better.

These guys are following the storm up the coast and will broadcast live streams all day. If your power goes out they even have an app for Iphone. Right now they're in Nags Head:

http://hurricanetrack.com/

Some good news for you guys up there, the tide is heading out so hopefully that will lessen the storm surge. Wilmington is in the clear now and outside of lost power on WB and all over New Hanover County, no damage and minimal beach erosion is being reported. Atlantic beach lost half a pier and should have more damage to report.

You guys up there should be in thick of it right now according to the NHC. Hang in there and hopefully things should start improving in a few more hours. You're getting the north side of the storm right now and once that passes it should get a little better.

These guys are following the storm up the coast and will broadcast live streams all day. If your power goes out they even have an app for Iphone. Right now they're in Nags Head:

http://hurricanetrack.com/

Our house is about a couple minutes down the road from there. We usually walked there on the beach at night, so a little sad to see it take that kind of damage. Luckily, my neighbor is reporting no significant damage to our house or others nearby, so at least there's some good news so far.

Our house is about a couple minutes down the road from there. We usually walked there on the beach at night, so a little sad to see it take that kind of damage. Luckily, my neighbor is reporting no significant damage to our house or others nearby, so at least there's some good news so far.

Good to hear, I figured Atlantic Beach and Salter Path would at the very least get flooded.

Hope we hear from Coastal and OBXer soon, they're in the worst of it right now.

So far not that bad. We lost power for a little while but back on now. The intensity has dropped a little in the last hour but we still have strong gusty wind. The heaviest wind and rain seems to be west of us in coastal's area.

On the Outer Banks Highway 12 in Hatteras has been over-washed near Rodanthe and there is reports of over-wash or a breach near the Buxton/Frisco area.

Hwy 64 near Columbia is reported to be blocked by debris after a tornado touched down.

Large and small tree limbs are scattered around my yard but no real damage. The water has been blown out and up the sound and some foolish people are walking around on where that water was. I expect the north and west side of the Albelmarle Sound should be experiencing flooding. When the eye passes by us I expect the winds to pick up again and all that nice water the storm pushed out to come flooding back.

Wishing all who live west of the Outer Banks all in the path of Irene well. Stay safe and dry. A few more hours and this should be over for NC.

From WRAL:

Emerald Isle:

bogue-600x450.jpg

Carolina Beach:

emeraldisleflooding-600x450.jpg

Atlantic Beach pier:

199336-pier-600x450.jpg

Nags Head:

a8b39943a1704e66802b051c368a5414-Photo-1-512x285.jpg

Kills Devils Hills:

f666b08bbba54ee599b5130891bb26c9-Photo-14-512x341.jpg

Great sign in the Outer Banks:

OBC-600x450.jpg

Well the wind has picked up again as the eye begins to move north. Latest report is HWY 12 Hatteras was not breached but only over washed .

My wife,s friend took this picture of boats high and dry as the water was pushed out. It will return.

337610_10150281261131481_275315266480_8307879_6206398_o.jpg

Most everyone's boat houses and docks in my neighborhood are under water or gone. Albemarle Sound is as high as Isabel, and has over-washed our street in a low area. Torrential rain has started again, but the wind isn't quite as bad, although it seem to be picking up again. Four trees are down in my yard but none on the house. I heard the Edenton waterfront where all the historic homes are is experiencing severe flooding as well. Everyone's okay here, but what a mess to cleanup. I'm so thankful this thing wasn't a Cat 3 as they called for on Wednesday and Thursday. I feel lucky. We have power at the moment.

I can't believe you still have power! Glad to hear from you, hopefully you're on the back end of the storm now and it will start to head north away from you.

The local EMC's learned a big lesson during Isabel. My hats are off to them, because they have spent huge amounts of money to clear and keep the lines clear of overhanging limbs. It's paying dividends now. It's raining so hard now you can't see across the street, and the wind is howling again. Looks like we may not have too far to go, yeehaw!

I've emptied my rain gauge twice, it's a 6" total rain guage. That's in 18 hours.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Wind is higher now then it was earlier this morning. The power has been blinking all afternoon but it still on at my house. I have large tree limbs down but I haven't lost any trees yet. I swear a few minutes ago it looked like the trees were bending in half. They are moaning,groaning and cracking but still standing. Not any sound side flooding that I know of. I guess that could come later.

Glad you guys haven't had to tread water yet. I'm keeping tabs on you here. Thanks for the updates.

We have some trees down in this area and a lot of limbs. Power has been mostly on. Getting the dogs to go outside for their nature breaks has been difficult. Have you ever seen a dog "moon walk"? My little one stuck her head out the door this morning at 5 AM and did her best Michael Jackson impersonation trying to get back in.

Edited by super_dave_1

Glad to hear everyone's doin ok. Down limbs is much better then the siding ripping off your house or roof shingles.

To bad you didnt have a camera ready Dave for some youtube fame.

CC are you using a highend generator? If your on a desktop I'm not sure I'd suggest running your desktop on a lowend generator, a random power surge from it could zap your machine. If your on a laptop it's a moot point, had an electrician explain to me a generator doesn't put out a steady voltage and can over power some devices at times.

Just watching out for ya :) It could also be a wives tale but when we run our generator I try to just power my fridge and some lights even though I have internet withdrawals.

Edited by legend-1

Save your charge Coastal, we love hearing you're ok but would feel awful if you had no more charge and needed to call for any assistance.

Good night Irene....

She's finally gone from NC and all the warnings have been lifted but there have been some casualties. Not sure exactly where the deaths occurred.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/10052688/

CASTLE HAYNE, NC. — Hurricane Irene claimed at least four lives as it passed through North Carolina and into Virginia Saturday, and one man remained missing after he jumped or fell into the Cape Fear River in Castle Hayne as Hurricane Irene pushed ashore.

Sgt. J.J. Brewer, of the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office, said the man was one of three standing on the boat ramp when the storm's first effects were felt on Friday night. Rescuers planned to resume the search for the man Saturday night.

A man in Nash County was killed by a falling branch as he fed his animals near Red Road in Nashville, Sheriff *edit* Jenkins said.

An 11-year-old boy died in Newport News, Va., when a tree fell into the apartment he shared with his mother. City spokesman Cleder Jones said the wind was gusting at up to 60 mph around noon when the tree crashed into the Brookridge Apartments. The boy's mother made it out without injury.

A 15-year-old girl was killed in a wreck at the intersection of Highway 581 and Interstate 795, where traffic lights were inoperable after the storm. Capt. Chad Calloway, of the Goldsboro Police Department, said the wreck likely would not have happened had the lights been working.

A woman died in a Duplin County crash when a tree fell on the car as she rode with her husband and child.

We came through ok down here in Wilmington. Just a few branches down, knocked over my lamppost (miracle it didn't break), and tore my cheap boat tarp in half. We had no power for a half hour yesterday afternoon, almost went out for a genny but power came back and I decided against it. Power was out from 4am to about 9am today, thought we were good from there but we had another outage to ight from about 6 to 9. My brother in Jacksonville had his fence blown over and some siding loose. Typical damage in area for a cat 1 cruising by, very similar to Ophelia and Isabel, except more beach erosion with Ophelia. I don't think that was too bad here, partly because the tide was going out this AM at closest approach.

Dave we had the same fun with our dog. Practically had to force him out last night. Took him a lot less time to find a spot than his usual 5 mins.

Good luck to y'all still dealing with power outages.