The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Hurricane Irene

Hope Obxer is okay. Storm is much worse on the backside. Nasty right now, another tree down.

He must have lost power again, I've been talking to him off and on all day but its been very quiet on his end for awhile.

Just saw him on, that's good.

Hey Legend, you can supercharge your phone with a regular generator.

Phones have warranties so go for it :) I'm glad your safe though buddy. Sounds like it got rough.

I do have the ridicolous omen we deserve a Stanley Cup with this Hurricane hitting us.

Hello Caniacs..Thanks for your concerns. Hope all have made it through alright. I have been without power since late yesterday afternoon.It just came back on. I tried to post with my phone but it wouldn't let me.

As coastal said the backside of this storm for us was much worse then the front end. Very high wind and extensive flooding when the wind shifted. I was lucky with only large limb damage and lots of debris but the sound water came withing 50yards of my house. That is the highest I have every seen it. Downtown Manteo had 4-6 feet of water. Part of hwy 64 in Manteo was under water . A firend of mine who lives on the sound in Roanoke Island estimated 6 ft of water under her house.

Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head and Kitty Hawk all had soundside flooding and Colington Harbour (small Island west side of Kill devil Hills) estimated 9 ft of water in the community.

Hatteras Island may have had the worst of the flooding with Highway 12 overwashed in at least two areas, high water in village of Avon as I suspect others. it is a mess but the good news is I haven't heard of any deaths or severe injuries.

Now I can catch up on the news, clean my yard and maybe get back to hockey talk.

Hope everyone weathered the storm ok.

Outer Banks Voice storm story

I second what OBXer said, thanks for the thoughts and well wishes from everyone as we went through this thing. The backside did more damage to Edenton than the front side, and lasted longer. Lot and lots of trees down, lots of flooding, and damage to piers and boat houses. I haven't heard of any fatalities around here yet, so that's a good thing.

My place is a disaster but I don't have any structural damage I can see. All in all, I'm thankful this didn't play out as they originally predicted, as a Cat 3 and the track it took would have surely been devastating.

Looking forward to getting this behind me and talking some hockey again.

If your not bored of storm pictures here are a couple of overwash on Hwy 12 on Hatteras Island.

WAVY-TV

Wavy -TV pics including New Bern and Goldsboro

Leave it to WAVY (out of Hampton Roads) to have the best pics of what is going on in coastal NC, :lol.

So glad you didn't have worse damage!

If your not bored of storm pictures here are a couple of overwash on Hwy 12 on Hatteras Island.

WAVY-TV

Wavy -TV pics including New Bern and Goldsboro

That first picture is on the front cover of The Toronto Star. It looks like it was a really bad storm and I'm surprised there weren't even more deaths. Fortunately everyone seems to heed advice of city or federal officials and that helped keep it to mostly property damage. I truly hope everyone has a speedy recovery and is good to go for the start of the season.

My thoughts are with all those effected by this disaster.

I know life isn't fair but this would just be so unfair. Everyone repeat after me Katia go out to sea...Katia go out to sea...Katia go out to sea

Interesting to note that Katia is the replacement name for Katrina on this years list. But I wouldn't be worried about it yet. NHC only goes out to 120 hours in their forecasts, but the models go beyond that, and from what I've seen they mostly predict recurve before it hits the US. Too early to know for sure though.

EDIT: Just rechecked...the recurve isn't there any more. May be back tomorrow, though. Should start to know by early next week. Right now a cyclone in the Pacific is making it hard to see the steering for Katia.

BTW, if you want to geek out to the weather, especially tropical, I can't recommend enough the Weather Underground site @ wunderground.com. They have a tool they call WunderMap that superimposes just about any data you can imagine over a Google map. If you like it, send me a DM and I'll get you a code for a free 1 year no-ads membership.

Edited by JLP