The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
captain_jack88

Earthquake

Some minor tremors here in Raleigh. I was sitting in my car between classes and thought someone was physically pushing the back end of my car around. Glad to hear so far that there hasn't been extensive damage anywhere.

In Manteo the floor shook and doors rattled. My friend in Wanchese said their entire building shook and my brother in Kill Devil Hills said much the same. I wasn't sure what it was until I turned on the news.

Shook my office building something good for 30 seconds or so in Spartanburg, SC. Amazing how far and wide this thing was felt on the East Coast, but people forget the major fault line that runs on the east, simply because it isn't nearly as active.

We're lucky a little rumbling was all we felt. Looks like DC had a few bigger problems but luckily no one was hurt.

From WRAL:

There ended up being no known deaths or serious injuries from Tuesday's quake, but cracks appeared in the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral, which had three capstones break off its tower. Windows shattered and grocery stores were wrecked in Virginia, where the quake was centered. The White House and Capitol were evacuated.

I knew we could use a government shake up but seriously? :lol:

Reminds me of Krakatoa, east of Java, LOL.

Have you been there? <-- serious question, though I'm guessing no as you'd call it Krakatau. Hoping to get there on my next trip to Indonesia.

Felt it down here...took me a couple seconds but I knew it was a quake. First one I have been fully awake for, have felt a couple others but they always wake me up. Felt like the whole house was bouncing for about 20 seconds or so. Weird feeling, had a little vertigo when I stood up.

Apparently it was felt all the way up north in good old Toronto. I didn't feel it but a lot of my coworkers did and it was reported on the news that there was activity in Toronto. Not very strong though.