The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Cory Stillman to Retire

Cory Stillman is expected to announce his retirement today.

The Peterborough EXAMINER - By Mike Davies

Stillman, 37, will officially announce his retirement at a press conference Thursday in Florida where the Panthers will introduce him as a member of their player development staff
Among Stillman's accomplishments is being one of only six players in NHL history to win back-to-back Stanley Cups on different teams. He assisted on the Tampa Bay Lightning's Cup winning goal in 2004 and helped lead Carolina to the title in 2006 following the 2005 lockout.

Good Luck Cory.

Stillman says he had offers to return to the NHL, including from Carolina, but he felt, for a variety of reasons, the timing was right to move onto the next stage of his life.

"I can walk away knowing I wasn't pushed out the door," Stillman said. "I could still play. When I got traded back to Carolina I was reunited with some guys and we had a good run at the end. In the end, I'm not old, but I'm getting a little older, I'll be 38 in December, and I had a career I'm very happy with. Now it's time to move on to be with my family."

I wouldn't have minded if JR would have re-signed him for a short term stint but priorities change with age and at different points of careers.

Best of luck Stiller.

Not a huge surprise, best of luck to Cory with his new job.

Hope he doesn't share all the super secret diving techniques the Canes have planned to use in their games with the Panthers this season :lol:

Not a huge surprise, best of luck to Cory with his new job.

Hope he doesn't share all the super secret diving techniques the Canes have planned to use in their games with the Panthers this season :lol:

LOL good one!

I was hoping he'd stay for one more season... he's such a great playmaker and his hockey IQ is off the chart. Oh well, another piece of the magical Cup team steps off the ice for good.

Thank you Cory for all the great moments and memories for your fans while on the ice as one of us. You will be truly missed! Good Luck in your new career, sorry it is not with our organization. Have a wonderful life!