The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
captain_jack88

Ten years since 9/11

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing?

I was in school and heard about something "crazy" happening in NYC and DC over the intercom and from other students. They were saying a plane flew into a tower and the pentagon was bombed, but I didn't think much of it, I kinda thought it was a small plane crashing by accident and the "bomb" was nothing more than a small explosion.

Then I got home and I was just in shock.

Edited by captain_jack88

I was in bed after working at Lowes Home Improvement late the night before. I had to be back in at 10:30 am. My co-worker/friend called me and told me to turn on the TV directly after it happened... that's not something I ever want to wake up to again.

I frequently listened to the radio in the office/commercial sales area and asked my customers for updates. What a horrible day. Also, it's my mother's birthday.

I was driving to class at State that morning and the radio show I was listening to said something about a plane hitting the world trade center. Like everyone else at that time, they assumed it was a small plane, and an accident, and was a "hope everyone is alright" moment and then back to the goofy comedy morning show. I got to the student center and the place was absolutely packed for a tuesday morning. I got my breakfast and sat down and all the TV's that normally were playing music videos were tuned to CNN. We watched live as the second plane banked in and hit the second tower. I will never forget that moment and the first thought through my mind was "a thousand people just died instantaneously". Not to be funny as all, but it made me think of the Obi Wan line from Star Wars - a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million voices were silenced at once. As we watched in stunned silence trying to figure out what exactly was going on, I remember seeing the radio tower on the top of the second tower begin to sway back and forth. I turned to the guy sitting next to me, a perfect stranger and said "It's going to fall".. and a few seconds later it came crashing down. As I left to go to class I got to my classroom and half the people were crying and the professor was trying to teach anyway and people were like "Do you have no idea what has just happened?" and he actually didn't. Had no idea. Around noon the cancelled classes. State had blood drives and food drives and money raised and all kinds of giving. Slowly you heard stories about people who had visited last year, the week before, one guy who was there on Sept. 10th.

I can still see all of that in my head. It plays like a movie, and I don't think I'll ever forget it. State cancelled classes for at least a week, maybe longer. We sat in our apartment glued to the TV and all of us had a permanent look of "What the &^%*??" on our faces for months afterwards. No one could comprehend what had happened. Buildings had been bombed before.. even the WTC. Planes had been hijacked before, most often with the hostages being rescued or released, maybe a few killed.. but this.. this was just something that no one had ever seen. Planes hijacked not for leverage and demands, but merely as weapons of mass destruction.

September 11th is my parents wedding anniversary, and I actually didn't know thier wedding date before that, but a few years later my mom told me, and now it's one date among all the birthdays and holidays and stuff you have to remember, that I won't forget.