The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

'Canes agree to contract with Ryan Murphy

Hurricanes Agree to Terms with Ryan Murphy

Carolina selected the defenseman with the 12th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft

Friday, 09.16.2011 / 4:59 PM / News By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Ryan Murphy on a three-year, entry-level contract. Beginning with his first full professional season, the contract will pay Murphy $832,500 per season at the NHL level or $70,000 per season at the minor-league level. Murphy receives a $277,500 signing bonus as a part of the contract.

“Ryan is a gifted offensive defenseman,” said Rutherford. “He skates extremely well and is dynamic with the puck. He put up very impressive numbers as a 17 year old in the OHL, and he’s put himself in a position to push for a spot on the NHL level.”

Murphy, 18, completed his second OHL season in 2010-11, ranking second among all Ontario Hockey League defensemen with 79 points (26g, 53a) in 63 regular-season games. The Aurora, Ont., native’s 26 goals led all OHL blue liners and ranked second among defensemen across all three of Canada’s major-junior leagues. His 53 assists ranked tied for second among OHL defensemen. Murphy (5’11”, 176 lbs.) posted 33 assists last season when Kitchener held a manpower advantage, ranking third among OHL skaters in that category. He was named OHL defenseman of the month after posting 18 points in October 2010. His career statistics are below.

Earlier this year, Murphy was named the top defenseman at the 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation World Men’s Under-18 Championship in Germany. He led Team Canada in scoring with 13 points (4g, 9a) in seven games as the Canadians finished fourth. A year earlier, Murphy captured a silver medal with Team Ontario in the 2010 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. In December 2010, he attended Canada’s National Junior Team’s selection camp in Toronto.

Under the guidelines of the NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, Murphy may still be reassigned to his junior hockey team, Kitchener, but may not be assigned to the Hurricanes’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.

Important to do this in the sense it makes Murphy feel part of this organization. He can go to training camp and concentrate on showing his skill. It gives him something to shoot for and he doesn't have to worry about the next three years. The signing bonus is an added plus.

Under the guidelines of the NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, Murphy may still be reassigned to his junior hockey team, Kitchener, but may not be assigned to the Hurricanes’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.

Seems like as good a place to re-ask this. I understand that the collective bargaining agreement made this rule, but does anyone know the logic behind it? Were the players trying to protect the guys currently in the AHL from being displaced by the kids? Or to force management to fish or cut bait on these guys as professionals? Did management not want to have to even pay the AHL scale? What is the logic behind this rule?!!!!

A guy like Murphy would seem to really get hurt by this rule. If the Canes had a big slow bruising offensively-challenged defense, Murphy might make the team. But barring a trade it is hard to see him making it with Kaberle, Pitkanen, and McBain back there. So instead of working on his defense against AHL level guys he has to go back to playing with kids. I'm sure he'll still improve, but he won't progress nearly as much on the defensive side as he would in the AHL.

Why????

Edited by remkin

Seems like as good a place to re-ask this. I understand that the collective bargaining agreement made this rule, but does anyone know the logic behind it? Were the players trying to protect the guys currently in the AHL from being displaced by the kids? Or to force management to fish or cut bait on these guys as professionals? Did management not want to have to even pay the AHL scale? What is the logic behind this rule?!!!!

A guy like Murphy would seem to really get hurt by this rule. If the Canes had a big slow bruising offensively-challenged defense, Murphy might make the team. But barring a trade it is hard to see him making it with Kaberle, Pitkanen, and McBain back there. So instead of working on his defense against AHL level guys he has to go back to playing with kids. I'm sure he'll still improve, but he won't progress nearly as much on the defensive side as he would in the AHL.

Why????

I had to do some searching and reading to try and find the logic behind this rule. It does seem unfair that many NHL drafted European and NCAA players aren't restricted. I also found it interesting that the AHL does not have the age restriction and it is an agreement between the NHL/CHL that restricts the under 20 year old. I'm not sure but I think the logic is to keep talent in the CHL to make the CHL teams more attractive and competitive. Most of the time it probable isn't a problem but when you get someone like Murphy it becomes a huge deal (IMO).

Here is a link I found regarding the NHL/CHL Agreement.

This has more to do with keeping talent in the junior leagues than anything else. Also, it helps to keep some young players out of trouble because they normally live with a family in their junior town. Where as on an AHL team they would probably be living with older players. :cheers:

I still think it is more about keeping good players in Juniors for a couple more years.

Just my .02 cents.

Yes, it is to protect the Junior leagues, specifically to protect Canadian Leagues/players. As OBXer pointed out, a kid like Rask could go direct to AHL.

Thanks, I've always wondered about that. Seemed odd a guy can play in the NHL at 18, but not the AHL until 20.

I know next to nothing about the finances of the Canadian Junior league, so, no wait, I no exactly nothing about them.

Still think a guy like Murphy would be NHL ready quicker in the AHL.

I'd like to see them change the rules to allow first round picks to go to the AHL, regardless of age. I understand the reason for the rules to help protect junior hockey, but an NHL team's investment in a first rounder is big.

I'd like to see them change the rules to allow first round picks to go to the AHL, regardless of age. I understand the reason for the rules to help protect junior hockey, but an NHL team's investment in a first rounder is big.

I disagree. I think it is good for the player to go back to Juniors if he is not ready for the NHL. Juniors keeps that player developing, and playing against other kids his size & age. Much less chance for injury.

Boychuk was a first round pick...played two NHL games after his first camp. He would have gotten killed in the AHL that year. He was just way too small. He played one more year at juniors, & has been developing into an NHL player.

The AHL is full of older bigger players...some disgruntled for being sent down, & some who would love nothing more than destroy the other teams 1st round pick.

I think it is best to keep it the way it is. NHL if they are elite players, or juniors until they are big enough / fast enough to handle NHL / AHL play.

Murphy is too small to play either NHL or AHL. He should be sent back to juniors after playing 2 to 4 regular season games. Murphy has NHL speed & skill yes, but he has junior size. As a D he will get blown up by NHL power forwards until he puts on more size.

I disagree. I think it is good for the player to go back to Juniors if he is not ready for the NHL. Juniors keeps that player developing, and playing against other kids his size & age. Much less chance for injury.

Boychuk was a first round pick...played two NHL games after his first camp. He would have gotten killed in the AHL that year. He was just way too small. He played one more year at juniors, & has been developing into an NHL player.

The AHL is full of older bigger players...some disgruntled for being sent down, & some who would love nothing more than destroy the other teams 1st round pick.

I think it is best to keep it the way it is. NHL if they are elite players, or juniors until they are big enough / fast enough to handle NHL / AHL play.

Murphy is too small to play either NHL or AHL. He should be sent back to juniors after playing 2 to 4 regular season games. Murphy has NHL speed & skill yes, but he has junior size. As a D he will get blown up by NHL power forwards until he puts on more size.

I said "allow", not "require".

I said "allow", not "require".

Good point. It is required the other way right now.

What would you do with Rask? Since he is not under contract with a junior team, & could play for the Checkers.

Would you send him to the Hitmen, or the Checkers?

Good point. It is required the other way right now.

What would you do with Rask? Since he is not under contract with a junior team, & could play for the Checkers.

Would you send him to the Hitmen, or the Checkers?

That's a decision that will be made between the coaching staff and him. I don't know where I would put him since I'm not sure what his level of development is. He needs to go where he will gain the most benefit.

I think your logic does make sense. But it can't be the reason since European players are allowed to play in the AHL at 18. Must be the protecting the junior league thing.

Edited by remkin