The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Brendan Shanahan as the enforcer

USA Today ran a story on the upcoming rule changes for Head Hits and Boarding with video.

NHL broadens head hit rule - By Kevin Allen

If an NHL player intentionally, or through recklessness, targets an opponent's head, he will be penalized.

NHL.com also has video of Brendan Shanahan explaining rule changes

I think the Refs are going to be busy this season.

I haven't heard if they approved it, but last I knew the goal verification line and shallower net were looking like they would be approved.

I can see where Ref is going on the lack of a major for head hits, but I think they partly covered that by saying hey refs, start enforcing charging and boarding more strictly, and there is still the match penalty for egregious hits (those are pretty rare though). Plus they just sent a pretty strong message with Shelly's suspension. I hope these guys get it, I am tired of hearing about concussions and seeing these nasty head hits.

Edited by JLP

Brendan Shanahan drops the hammer early as the league's new disciplinarian. Backs up his suspensions with video explanations:

Video explanation of the Shelley suspension

Video explanation of the Latourneau-Leblond suspension

I like the video explanations and that he's setting the tone early in the season to send a strong message. Like JLP, I'm really sick of seeing all the nasty head shots, guys being taken off the ice on stretchers and hearing about long term potentially life changing concussions.

Brendan Shanahan drops the hammer early as the league's new disciplinarian. Backs up his suspensions with video explanations:

Video explanation of the Shelley suspension

Video explanation of the Latourneau-Leblond suspension

I like the video explanations and that he's setting the tone early in the season to send a strong message. Like JLP, I'm really sick of seeing all the nasty head shots, guys being taken off the ice on stretchers and hearing about long term potentially life changing concussions.

Those videos are amazing and extremely well done. It will help fans understand the rational behind the suspensions and it shows a video clip of the incident. I also like how Shanahan states in the video "I decided to suspend...". He didn't state The NHL or give a blanket statement. He is taking responsibility for his decisions. I'm happy to hear of these heavy suspensions for those kind of hits. Both were easily avoidable and not necessary. I hope this trend continues through the regular season and playoffs. Shanahan may very well be the best thing to happen to the NHL in a while.

Here are the latest additions. Brendan Shanahan isn't just making a statement, he's setting the new normal for the league and what's expected from the players from here on out. This is just awesome. I agree, its refreshing to see him take full responsibility for the decisions and back it up with immediate action. He's eliminating a lot of the gray area that's been so difficult for teams and fans to understand.

James Wisnieski suspended for the remainder of the pre-season and 8 regular season games

Brad Boyes suspended 2 pre-season games

Brad Staubitz suspended remainder of pre-season and 3 regular games

Here are the latest additions. Brendan Shanahan isn't just making a statement, he's setting the new normal for the league and what's expected from the players from here on out. This is just awesome. I agree, its refreshing to see him take full responsibility for the decisions and back it up with immediate action. He's eliminating a lot of the gray area that's been so difficult for teams and fans to understand.

James Wisnieski suspended for the remainder of the pre-season and 8 regular season games

Brad Boyes suspended 2 pre-season games

Brad Staubitz suspended remainder of pre-season and 3 regular games

I like how he takes into consideration whether the hit was intentional or not, as well as the players past history. I remember many of those clips happening last season and at most resulted in a game or two suspension if that. Eight games certainly isn't a joke.

I thought the Wisniewski ruling was a little over the top, Clutterbuck knew exactly what he was doing and Wisniewski allowed himself to be baited. He give up $500k for that one, probably will think twice the next time and drill the guy in the chest.

It will be interesting to see what happens when a real star player is under review, and when there is an obvious dive or a player has his head down. So far, so good though.

Edited by JLP

Another one bites the dust. Patrick Kaleta gets 4 games for head butting a Flyers player. Nice history of the same offense rolleyes.gif

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=132436

I'm really liking what Shanahan has done to change all this. I probably won't like it if one of our players gets the hammer but I won't be able to argue that it wasn't reviewed and dealt with fairly. I won't say I'm looking forward to it but I'm very curious as to what will happen when a super star player, especially one like OV with a history gets caught doing something wrong.