The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Canes sign JR to a 4 year extension.

This is very good news. While I'll certainly kvetch about this or that, you can't overlook the fact that this team has been here since 1997 and we have seen 3 Eastern Conference Finals, 2 Stanley Cup Finals, and a Stanley Cup Championship season. That isn't a fluke and doesn't happen by accident.

Canes keep trimming the roster: http://blogs.newsobs...gain-down-to-43

From CH.com:

Hurricanes trim camp roster to 6

Assigned to the Charlotte Checkers (AHL) were: forwards Matt Pistilli and Justin Soryal; defensemen Brett Bellemore, Kyle Lawson and Chris Murray, and goaltender John Muse.

Interesting to see Muse assigned to the Checkers. That leaves Peters and Murphy still here but where do they go? I would think the Canes are only keeping two here and that the Checkers only need two...

Trade? Injury? Release?

Interesting to see Muse assigned to the Checkers. That leaves Peters and Murphy still here but where do they go? I would think the Canes are only keeping two here and that the Checkers only need two...

Trade? Injury? Release?

Checkers camp starts on Monday, players will have to fight for a spot there or be sent down to the blades.

Seven isn't a lucky number for some. More cuts today.

Hurricanes Assign Seven Players to Charlotte

Saturday, 09.24.2011 / 3:11 PM / News By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has assigned seven players from its training camp to its American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers. The Hurricanes’ training camp now stands at 36 players, and an updated training camp roster can be found here.

Forwards Nicolas Blanchard, Mike McKenzie, Cedric McNicoll,Jared Staal, and Justin Shugg, as well as defensemen Michal Jordan and Rasmus Rissanen, will join Charlotte as the team opens its training camp on Monday. All of the Checkers’ training camp sessions will take place at Extreme Ice Center in Indian Trail, NC. For information on Charlotte’s training camp,

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the 13th forward out of camp. So far his play has definitely warranted it in my opinion. Looks as if he might have some chemistry with Brent. Well I assume it was Brent, I've been watching online and it's a tad fuzzy at times.

Ek: Oilers Seeking Veteran "top 6" Help. Updated 2:38am

According to multiple sources tonight...

I am told the Oilers are talking to Carolina regarding a top 6 forward. Deal could happen "quicker than anyone imagined."

more in the morning.

Ek: Oilers Seeking Veteran "top 6" Help. Updated 2:38am

According to multiple sources tonight...

I am told the Oilers are talking to Carolina regarding a top 6 forward. Deal could happen "quicker than anyone imagined."

more in the morning.

Wonder what pieces they have to trade? I think I heard on the radio that Sam Gagne was going to be out for awhile with a leg/foot injury. I know lots of folks were hoping for Hemsky but I doubt they'd trade a top 6 for another one unless there were several pieces involved. We have some interesting pieces that could be packaged together and JR has been known to deal with Edmonton, guess we'll see what may or may not unfold.

canes-addict, I moved your post over to this thread because we decided to close down the off season thread.

Besides, most "rumor" sites have them looking for a PMD.

I was just looking at that on Spectors. I wonder if JR would make any moves with the way some of the prospects have looked in preseason? It's just speculation and guessing anyway.

I know it's just Eklund :facepalm2: , but exactly what top 6 winger do we have extra?

I took it to mean that we wanted a top 6 forward and Edmonton wanted a PMD....of which we have plenty. But does either Edmonton or Carolina have axtra top 6 forwards? We don't even have 4!!!!

Edited by TheBigKahuna

I took it to mean that we wanted a top 6 forward and Edmonton wanted a PMD....of which we have plenty. But does either Edmonton or Carolina have axtra top 6 forwards? We don't even have 4!!!!

Ek said

The Oilers are looking for a solid two way guy to fill in top 6 duty and they have the chips to pull off a major deal.

then he said

I guess the second statement could be viewed either way.

Edited by super_dave_1

9/26 practice update from Michael Smith:

All forwards took the ice around 10:15, and just like the defensive group, they concluded practice with a shootout. The losers had to do push-ups while the winners stood over them and watched, a jocular moment in an otherwise intense camp.

“Today’s practice, I wanted them feeling light,” Maurice said. “They did have a hard off-ice workout, and tomorrow we’ll get back to some intensity.

“There was something on the line today, and that’s when they had a little bit of fun,” Maurice said of the shootouts. “Some unusual moves, to say the least.”

After saying Anthony Stewart had the best game of his preseason, Maurice had an extended conversation with the forward at center ice during practice.

“I liked his game last night. I thought he was on the puck a lot more,” Maurice said. “He’s so fast as a big man – unusually fast – especially in his first 30-40 feet. I thought he used that speed very effectively last night.”

“I felt light on my feet. I’m feeling more confident with the puck every game that I’ve been playing so far,” Stewart said. “The hands usually come second to me and the legs are always going. I’m almost hitting game-stride here.

“I have to get in on the forecheck and make some room for the smaller forwards. The more space they have, the more successful they’ll be.”

Tomorrow’s skates are slated for 9 and 11 a.m. before the team heads off to Winnipeg in the early afternoon.

Joslin says he is feeling good. We should get our first look at him tomorrow night. He is expected to be paired with McBain according to Michael Smith's story, 'Recovery Day" I liked Joslin last year. I hope the illness didn't take a lot out of him. I think every shift is going to count to earn a spot on our crowded Blue Line. The Blue Line decisions are going to get interesting.

Joslin says he is feeling good. We should get our first look at him tomorrow night. He is expected to be paired with McBain according to Michael Smith's story, 'Recovery Day" I liked Joslin last year. I hope the illness didn't take a lot out of him. I think every shift is going to count to earn a spot on our crowded Blue Line. The Blue Line decisions are going to get interesting.

I'm with ya about Joslin, I really liked his style of play last year and I think he will be even better this year!

I keep checking in for these innevitable trades to go down. I know that lots of near deals never get done, but is Eklund ever right?

I would blow an anuerism if JR traded any of our legit top forwards, and I am sure he won't unless we get one back. So the only thing that makes any sense is trading one of our offensive dmen, or Allen if anyone wanted his salary for a top 6 guy.

I do agree that we are well stocked with pure offensive or offensive minded defenseman and prospects. Not sure there are any I'd want to part with though. I know McBain gets some mixed reviews, but I think he's going to be very good and he's worth his weight in gold to a budget team since he's not in the big money yet.

So who do we trade off the back?

Gleason: maybe. last year. but heart and soul and actually plays defense. I don't see it.

Allen: sure but anyone want his $3mill contract? Plus he plays defense.

Harrison: not going to bring anything back.

McBain: would command some return, but lots of years of potential outstanding play ahead. I wouldn't.

Joslin: wouldn't bring much at this point. Worth more to us.

Pitkanen: Sure. He'd bring a lot back. But JR just signed him at a discount. Not a JR move to turn and trade him. He'd have to want to go. Don't see it.

Kabs: Sure. But see Pitkanen. Just hard to see it. His stock is at an all time low for him also. It would make more sense to let him have a great year, then trade him. I think JR is really hoping for a better powerplay also, so I don't see this either.

Faulk: Such a highly regaurded prospect. Do you get full value for a prospect? Just can't seen JR moving him unless he got a very very sweet offer.

Murphy: Yeah right.

I'm not saying that one of these might not happen. If Faulk or Murphy made the club, then someone has to go, but I don't see it at this point.

I'll keep watching. Eklund has been insisting that we are going to make a trade with the Oilers. I'd love some Hemsky, but I'm not betting on Eklund.

I keep checking in for these innevitable trades to go down. I know that lots of near deals never get done, but is Eklund ever right?

I would blow an anuerism if JR traded any of our legit top forwards, and I am sure he won't unless we get one back. So the only thing that makes any sense is trading one of our offensive dmen, or Allen if anyone wanted his salary for a top 6 guy.

I do agree that we are well stocked with pure offensive or offensive minded defenseman and prospects. Not sure there are any I'd want to part with though. I know McBain gets some mixed reviews, but I think he's going to be very good and he's worth his weight in gold to a budget team since he's not in the big money yet.

So who do we trade off the back?

Gleason: maybe. last year. but heart and soul and actually plays defense. I don't see it.

Allen: sure but anyone want his $3mill contract? Plus he plays defense.

Harrison: not going to bring anything back.

McBain: would command some return, but lots of years of potential outstanding play ahead. I wouldn't.

Joslin: wouldn't bring much at this point. Worth more to us.

Pitkanen: Sure. He'd bring a lot back. But JR just signed him at a discount. Not a JR move to turn and trade him. He'd have to want to go. Don't see it.

Kabs: Sure. But see Pitkanen. Just hard to see it. His stock is at an all time low for him also. It would make more sense to let him have a great year, then trade him. I think JR is really hoping for a better powerplay also, so I don't see this either.

Faulk: Such a highly regaurded prospect. Do you get full value for a prospect? Just can't seen JR moving him unless he got a very very sweet offer.

Murphy: Yeah right.

I'm not saying that one of these might not happen. If Faulk or Murphy made the club, then someone has to go, but I don't see it at this point.

I'll keep watching. Eklund has been insisting that we are going to make a trade with the Oilers. I'd love some Hemsky, but I'm not betting on Eklund.

Great analysis, rem. It's nice to see all 9 names thrown out there. I don't see JR carrying 9 d-men. He'll likely carry 7, and then the question is whether Murphy becomes the 8th d-man on the roster for at the least the first 10 games.

We have Allen off the books next year, if not at the trade deadline.

I think Joslin needs to show in the next couple of games that he belongs here, or he might actually be the odd man out.

I think Faulk gets a full year in Charlotte to develop, with the expectation that he replaces Allen in the 7 man rotation next year. I think Murphy is making it difficult on JR to decide what to do.

I see the priority as follows:

Pits/TKabs - just signed, not going anywhere.

Gleason - last year of his contract, but he's really our only top-4 physical d-man

McBain - a little uneven but he's young and in his entry contract. Hoping that he'll only get better.

Harrison - you really can't underestimate him. Physical, plays solid minutes. He's a 3rd pairing guy who plays his role.

Joslin - loved what I saw from him last season, but haven't seen him this season. If he's not ready to get things going based on this illness, does he start the season on IR?

Allen - he's slowed with age, his contract is too high for what he does. Is he going to be valuable at times? Yes. $3M worth of valuable? Doubtful.

Faulk - I give him the edge over Murphy right now, but it's close. I really think he starts the year in Charlotte though unless JR finds a suitor for Allen or Joslin can't go.

Murphy - he's exciting to watch, but I shiver in dread at how many times he'll be pushed out of the way or will be out of position jumping up on the rush. I'd give him 10 games as the 8th guy, let him get a little taste of what regulation NHL hockey speed is like, before sending him back to Kitchener. I think he needs a year (at least) to mature on the defensive side. If he was a forward? Who knows.

I really think, barring injury, that we'll start with those top 7 guys, and that JR will contemplate carrying 8 just to get Murph a little time. I think Faulk will be barking at the moon to get here, and that injury or trade (Allen) will get him here permanently before season's end.

Well, after watching him in Charlotte score that slick goal in the first period, I can see why this could be. If that's what he's capable of and it sticks, then I think we've hit on something special with him.