The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I would think the experience of being with the team explains most of it. He has to actually play in a game for it to be counted toward the 9-game limit.

OK...Thanks!!!

I would play him 2-8 games, and send Faulk to Charlotte...then send Murphy back to Juniors, & re-call Faulk.

I like Faulk but I think the kid could use a few games in the AHL to get his confidence up.

I'm going to ask the obvious question. Who in practice agrees to take the first fighting major against Boston? After which we get soundly pummeled along the boards for 60 minutes. I picked Gleason in the contest, so that works for me.

Just my personal opinion but I think trade proposal threads seem kind of silly. I know they're used on other NHL team boards and that people do enjoy playing GM but isn't that what the general in season thread is for?

I thought this thread was more about balanced scoring rather than playing GM.

Yea but if there all in one thread you know what thread to ignore.

After the dust has settled and my fan frustration has waned, a little, I am reminding myself how early in the season it is.

I don't have my head in the sand. I see the problems. Yet there are some positives and a win would go a long way to building some team confidense.

Staal in my opinion is acting like a leader and has been playing hard.

Skinner is off to a good start and looks like he won't suffer the sophomore slump.

Harrison has played very solid

Joni, I know he can drive you nuts, is playing more responsible and hard.

Sutter may be the best all around player we have.

IMO, The defense has improved. It is difficult to see in a loss but they are moving the puck better, more involved from the blue line. They still need to get positionally better in their own end but they are better

The power play is gaining and holding the zone better but we still don't have a net presence. We have to get to the net quicker on shots to look for rebounds and we have to put more traffic in front.

Dumb penalties are killing us. I believe if your not taking penalties your not playing aggressive but in the last minutes of a game and down a goal it isn't the time to be stupid.

The TB game aside we have been in the last two games. We could have won both games. It isn't getting any easier as we still have Boston and Buffalo this week.

I'm not sure it won't take a trade to make this team work but I'm going to watch a couple of more games and try and figure it out

Yea but if there all in one thread you know what thread to ignore.

Exactly, and thanks.

After the dust has settled and my fan frustration has waned, a little, I am reminding myself how early in the season it is.

I don't have my head in the sand. I see the problems. Yet there are some positives and a win would go a long way to building some team confidense.

Staal in my opinion is acting like a leader and has been playing hard.

Skinner is off to a good start and looks like he won't suffer the sophomore slump.

Harrison has played very solid

Joni, I know he can drive you nuts, is playing more responsible and hard.

Sutter may be the best all around player we have.

IMO, The defense has improved. It is difficult to see in a loss but they are moving the puck better, more involved from the blue line. They still need to get positionally better in their own end but they are better

The power play is gaining and holding the zone better but we still don't have a net presence. We have to get to the net quicker on shots to look for rebounds and we have to put more traffic in front.

Dumb penalties are killing us. I believe if your not taking penalties your not playing aggressive but in the last minutes of a game and down a goal it isn't the time to be stupid.

The TB game aside we have been in the last two games. We could have won both games. It isn't getting any easier as we still have Boston and Buffalo this week.

I'm not sure it won't take a trade to make this team work but I'm going to watch a couple of more games and try and figure it out

Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's kinda like we are in the early stages of a 12 step program... we got a lot of hockey left for things to get better or worse so I am holding reservation on when/how/whether-to freak out or not :D

We all need to relax. There are only 79 games left. A lot can happen between now and then...

If I hadn't seen this movie before, I'd be willing to agree with you.

When do you think it is time to get concerned? The Canes have Boston, Buffalo, and Boston coming up. That could easily be 0-5-1. Thanks to the State Fair, Buffalo and the 2nd Boston game are on the road and then St. Louis and Winnipeg. Road games are never easy. We catch a break with Ottawa at home and then have Chicago at home and off to Philly the next day.

I don't really see more than a couple of likely wins there (Ottawa and one of St. Louis or Winnipeg). Maybe we get a point for tying somebody and end the month 2-7-2. The team would then need to go on a 5 game winning streak to get back to .500.

If I hadn't seen this movie before, I'd be willing to agree with you.

When do you think it is time to get concerned? The Canes have Boston, Buffalo, and Boston coming up. That could easily be 0-5-1. Thanks to the State Fair, Buffalo and the 2nd Boston game are on the road and then St. Louis and Winnipeg. Road games are never easy. We catch a break with Ottawa at home and then have Chicago at home and off to Philly the next day.

I don't really see more than a couple of likely wins there (Ottawa and one of St. Louis or Winnipeg). Maybe we get a point for tying somebody and end the month 2-7-2. The team would then need to go on a 5 game winning streak to get back to .500.

I am holding my "mo must go" thoughts until after the 10 game mark.

I think we all have every right to be freaking out. We have been reassured by the GM that he believes this team is a playoff team. Really? Because playoff teams actually make the playoffs, and to make the playoffs you need to actually win a game. Yes, it's early, but the easiest games to win are in the beginning of the season. It only gets harder from here on out. /vent

A few things that have bothered me thus far:

-Poni on the third line. The man was the only guy on the team seemingly capable of scoring multiple goals in the preseason. He impressed me. So why is he tossed to the third line, when no one on the second line has scored a goal yet?

-Skinner and Staal on the same line. Just lacking common sense. Spread out your offense. Skinner and Staal both make their linemates better. They just do. So why make only one guy better on their line, when you can make 4 guys better if they each had their own line. Dumb dumb dumb dumb.

-Powerplay. Sustained success would be nice, too early to tell how bad it is, but it looked okay in Jersey.

-Murphy. You're wasting valuable development time keeping him in the press box. Either send him back to juniors or inject him into the lineup. We haven't won a single game, scratch someone.

-Ruutu. I expect him to be lights out awesome this season. So far, I have been disappointed. It's his contract year, and if he wants to stick around I'd assume he'd have to impress, otherwise I can see him being trade bait at the deadline.

-Cam Ward. He's got to be able to steal us games. That's what good goalies do. New Jersey should've been a win. He has to be able to at least hang on and keep the team in it for longer into the third, if not to the end of the third.

We're going to need a Vezina worthy effort from him this season, and I think it's possible since he has a decent backup for the first time in his starting career. So far, I'm not too impressed.

All this said, the season is young. I'm sure other teams that seem fine now will hit bumps in the road. We have nothing to do but improve. Teams will show their weaknesses and we will be able to show our strengths. It just bothers me that we seem to always get off to a bad start. There were player interviews in the offseason stating how the team must come out of the gates strong and get points early in the season, or else they could miss the playoffs in a similar close fashion to last season (I think it was a Tim Gleason interview). I say if we have less than 4 wins this month, Mo should be scared and/or no one's safe on the roster besides the obvious (Skinner, etc)

Felt like pointing out that Skinner currently is tied for first in the league in Assists (4) and tied for first in the league in points (5). All without one win. Thank God for Skinner, otherwise I'd be extremely worried about this team.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Cory Lavalette over at Canes Country has called Joni Pitkanen out for taking undisciplined penalties.

IMO, I think Pits has been playing a more aggressive game so far this season and not that bad but when you take those "bad" penalties into account I will be the first to admit those penalties have hurt the Canes.

Right now there is no team chemistry. The only position that has been improved is backup goalie. Until we can get some proven players rather than a bunch of bargain basement has beens, this is going to be a bottom tier team.

Michael Smith (Tracking the Storm) has tweeted, It's a small skate today.

On the ice: Joslin, McBain, Murphy, Stewart, Dalpe, Tlusty, Skinner and Boucher.
Brind'Amour and Barrasso are the only coaches on the ice. Ward skated with Barrasso prior to this practice.

I wonder where MO and Lewis and the rest of the team are?

I wonder where MO and Lewis and the rest of the team are?

$64,000 question? At least it gives us something new to speculate about :)

Cory Lavalette over at Canes Country has called Joni Pitkanen out for taking undisciplined penalties.

IMO, I think Pits has been playing a more aggressive game so far this season and not that bad but when you take those "bad" penalties into account I will be the first to admit those penalties have hurt the Canes.

Pitkanen is the lazy man's scapegoat for those who don't understand the game of hockey, or for xenophobes.

Skinner and Jokinen have taken undisciplined penalties....who's calling for their heads? At least Pitkanen is playing well so far!

Edited by TheBigKahuna

Pitkanen is the lazy man's scapegoat for those who don't understand the game of hockey, or for xenophobes.

Skinner and Jokinen have taken undisciplined penalties....who's calling for their heads? At least Pitkanen is playing well so far!

Good point. I think (of course I don't know) based on Pits play he is making a conscious effort to be more aggressive and responsible defensively this season. Sometimes its hard to dial that back. I think you have to admit we need to get a little more disciplined in the late stages of the game. Penalties are killing us and it doesn't make any difference what nationality the player is who commits it. But I do get the Xenophobia reference. I just don't buy it. :)

Maurice's reasoning behind having Larose on the first line (from new post on homepage):

Maurice is hoping that LaRose can bring a defensive balance to an offensive-heavy line.

Uh this is the first line right? I'd probably let that be a pretty offense-heavy line. Match them up with a couple defensive defensemen and you're set. That line needs a physical presence more than anything else, and I'd use either Poni or Ruutu (if he's healthy) in that spot. Leave Larose and his energy/defensive responsibility for a checking/energy role (which shouldn't be the first line).

The more I read over that statement, I'm more and more confused as to how a sane person can think it's a good idea.

Maurice's reasoning behind having Larose on the first line (from new post on homepage):

Uh this is the first line right? I'd probably let that be a pretty offense-heavy line. Match them up with a couple defensive defensemen and you're set. That line needs a physical presence more than anything else, and I'd use either Poni or Ruutu (if he's healthy) in that spot. Leave Larose and his energy/defensive responsibility for a checking/energy role (which shouldn't be the first line).

The more I read over that statement, I'm more and more confused as to how a sane person can think it's a good idea.

I haven't seen any heavy offense yet, have you? :huh:

Of the even strength goals scored against us in the first three games, Staal has been on the ice for all but one of them, same for Skinner. I'd say those two don't back check very well, and that's what he's referring to.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Of the even strength goals scored against us in the first three games, Staal has been on the ice for all but one of them, same for Skinner. I'd say those two don't back check very well, and that's what he's referring to.

Ahh, the voice of reason. In that case it makes some sense but the concern for me is whether Chad is really the best option in that roll? Although it did pay dividends with one goal last night.

Here's the rest of that from Michael Smith's TTS Blog:

Canes Not Far Off from First Win

“We really like a lot of the things we are doing,” Maurice said. “That’s our challenge right now. It’s not a matter of staying positive; it’s staying together.”

This is a little concerning, 3 games in and the talk isn't about just keeping a positive attitude to get through the tough spell, its about staying together as a team. I hope this upcoming road trip serves as good team bonding time for all them.

Ahh, the voice of reason. In that case it makes some sense but the concern for me is Chad really the best option in that roll? Although it did pay dividends with one goal last night.

I guess that's the question I'm left with as well. I understand Chad brings some positives, but there has to be someone else that could provide what he does on the first line.

I guess that's the question I'm left with as well. I understand Chad brings some positives, but there has to be someone else that could provide what he does on the first line.

Sure, Brandon Sutter but then you've really put all your eggs in one basket and created an abyss on 2 other lines. Didn't Patrick Dwyer see some time on Staal's wing last year at some point? Not sure I buy into adding a defensively responsible forward to solve this, wouldn't it just be better to somehow find a way to get the top forwards to backcheck.

Um, wow. I'm not even sure what to say after reading the TTS post. Is there some reason why the forwards aren't backchecking like they should. Could it be an issue of the defense missing a gap or getting split and it turning into a virtual breakaway? There has to be a better 20+ min per game option than Chad "I have Heart and Energy, but no Hands" LaRose.

MMG!

“We really like a lot of the things we are doing,” Maurice said. “That’s our challenge right now. It’s not a matter of staying positive; it’s staying together.”

This is a little concerning, 3 games in and the talk isn't about just keeping a positive attitude to get through the tough spell, its about staying together as a team. I hope this upcoming road trip serves as good team bonding time for all them.

Oh yeah, that's a concern. It is almost a denial. Maurice is almost telling us, "Nothing to see here folks, move along, it will be OK." But the part about the team staying together is disturbing. I just hope we're reading something into this that isn't there.

Something happened, and apparently there was a team meeting today to address it. (Chip's latest blog entry gets into some of that.)