The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Maurice's reasoning behind having Larose on the first line (from new post on homepage):

Uh this is the first line right? I'd probably let that be a pretty offense-heavy line. Match them up with a couple defensive defensemen and you're set. That line needs a physical presence more than anything else, and I'd use either Poni or Ruutu (if he's healthy) in that spot. Leave Larose and his energy/defensive responsibility for a checking/energy role (which shouldn't be the first line).

The more I read over that statement, I'm more and more confused as to how a sane person can think it's a good idea.

I agree. I am have not really been all that critical of Maurice, but I'm having an increasingly difficult time understanding his decisions - which would be alright if he was winning, but he hasn't the last two years and this year is off to a bad start. Larose was -21 last season - by far the worst plus/minus player on the team. How he is expected to shore up our defense is beyond me.

Also, as much as I hate to agree with Adam Gold, he was talking on 99.9 yesterday about the use of Dalpe on the fourth line. Dalpe is projected to be a top-six guy, so if he is not being used in the top-six or at the very least the top-nine, he needs to be playing 20 minutes in the AHL. Playing for 6 minutes on the fourth line will do nothing for his development.

Which reminds me of how much I dislike our approach to the fourth line. We only have one fourth-liner on the fourth line (Brent). Everyone else should be in the either be in the top-nine, or if they are not good enough to play in the top nine, they should be playing 20 minutes in the AHL until they are ready.

Maurice's reasoning behind having Larose on the first line (from new post on homepage):

Uh this is the first line right? I'd probably let that be a pretty offense-heavy line. Match them up with a couple defensive defensemen and you're set. That line needs a physical presence more than anything else, and I'd use either Poni or Ruutu (if he's healthy) in that spot. Leave Larose and his energy/defensive responsibility for a checking/energy role (which shouldn't be the first line).

The more I read over that statement, I'm more and more confused as to how a sane person can think it's a good idea.

I agree. I am have not really been all that critical of Maurice, but I'm having an increasingly difficult time understanding his decisions - which would be alright if he was winning, but he hasn't the last two years and this year is off to a bad start. Larose was -21 last season - by far the worst plus/minus player on the team. How he is expected to shore up our defense is beyond me.

Also, as much as I hate to agree with Adam Gold, he was talking on 99.9 yesterday about the use of Dalpe on the fourth line. Dalpe is projected to be a top-six guy, so if he is not being used in the top-six or at the very least the top-nine, he needs to be playing 20 minutes in the AHL. Playing for 6 minutes on the fourth line will do nothing for his development.

Which reminds me of how much I dislike our approach to the fourth line. We only have one fourth-liner on the fourth line (Brent). Everyone else should be in the either be in the top-nine, or if they are not good enough to play in the top nine, they should be playing 20 minutes in the AHL until they are ready.

Thinking about this some today with all the questions about LaRose on the first line for defensive reasons (-21 last year, so that can't really be it can it?)

I know we don't like to blender the lines up too much but what we got now isn't getting it done, so just spit balling some line options that come to mind...

Sutter: Staal, Poni

I understand we probably don't want Staal on the wing, but I think paired with Sutter he could do some damage (although have we ever seen the two on the same line, I can't recall...), plus there is some insurance on those important faceoffs since they want Staal to take all of them apparently. Staal and Poni have had some chemistry as well, doesn't hurt to have a big body on the first line if he can get in front of the net.

Skinner: Ruutu, Jussi

The second line has had great chemistry in the past, so I am not sure why it had to change, but again you got Skinner and Jussi to take faceoffs when needed.

Brent: Stewart, Daple

The third line is actually a real energy/checking line, gives Dalpe a little bit more ice time as well.

Tlusty: Dwyer, LaRose

Fourth line is what it is, I may not like those guys on the fourth line but that is where they are. Maybe shift LaRose and Stewart around depending on how the game is going. Not sure about the faceoffs though.

Gleason, Pits

Allen, Kabs

Harrison, Faulk

I don't think Faulk has been terrible (rookie mistakes yes...) but I think it would be best for now that he gets less responsibility on the third pairing until he gets more comfortable. Harrison would be a good complement as well. This is all assuming of course that the other D guys McBain and Joslin are still sitting out.

This may all be terrible lines idk I am not a coach or hockey guru just what came to mind today. :twilight-zone:

Also some interesting quotes from Dwyer:

Forward Pat Dwyer said the meeting today was "really upbeat" and that everyone remains confident things can quickly turn around.

"We're only three games in and we'd like to have more points than we do, but if you look at the three games, we were in them all going into the third period," Dwyer said. "It's tough. We're right there. We just have to find a way to come out and win those games rather than let them get away from us.

"We're right there. There's no need to panic. But we do need to get some stuff figured out. We said that three games ago but there's even more urgency now."

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/no-lineup-changes-planned-for-bruins#ixzz1aVtwqK00

I put the idea in another thread, but Mo's putting LaRose on the first line is just mind-boggling. It was mind-boggling to me last year, and it went on to produce that staggering plus minus. I'm not saying Dalpe is ready, but if he's not, then at least try Poni up there. Chad LaRose is a really nice third line player. He is a really poor fist line player.

BTW that goal could have been scored on any line. Nice shot, but about a one in 25 of those go in.

I think it is clear that we need that top winger, but LaRose? I have to wonder if that doesn't get under some player's skin.

Or maybe a McBain sitting in the press box for 3 straight games?

Mix in one win (preseason) since last year and I'm sure there is some frustration.

And Staal is always thinking offense first. I'm sure he's coached that way, but he is constantly trailing the goal scorer on the rush.

-4 this year, -17 on the career and -10 last year, despite putting up a ton of points himself.

Dalpe and Stewart on line 4. Dwyer, Tlusty and LaRose in the top 9,6,3. If you're going to go with that nonsense you better win and prove us wrong. Not winning.

I still think it is pretty early for Mo must go, but a couple more losses, or one debacle, and his seat will be getting pretty warm.

How come no one's brought up the idea of putting Tlusty on the first line? If defensive responsibility is what Mo is looking for, I think he looks healthy, and quite frankly, has looked pretty solid in his few minutes of ice time. He was a first round pick. And yes, I know he's NOT a first liner.

Personally, I think having Staal and Skinner together is hurting the team, if you look at the stats for who's on the ice when goals are scored at even strength. Look no further than Mo's explanation of having Larose on the first line. There seem to be a lot more options if Ruutu, Skinner and Jokinen are back together. Too bad Ruutu is either hurt or sucks right now.

Does anyone else find it curious that Patrick Dwyer was the player rep out the locker room?

Does anyone else find it curious that Patrick Dwyer was the player rep out the locker room?

Okay.....we're waiting....... what are you thinking? :)

Edited by coastal_caniac

How come no one's brought up the idea of putting Tlusty on the first line? If defensive responsibility is what Mo is looking for, I think he looks healthy, and quite frankly, has looked pretty solid in his few minutes of ice time. He was a first round pick. And yes, I know he's NOT a first liner.

Personally, I think having Staal and Skinner together is hurting the team, if you look at the stats for who's on the ice when goals are scored at even strength. Look no further than Mo's explanation of having Larose on the first line. There seem to be a lot more options if Ruutu, Skinner and Jokinen are back together. Too bad Ruutu is either hurt or sucks right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tlusty there. It goes back to the idea that I know for a fact that LaRose isn't a first liner and we don't know about Tlusty. We don't know if Tlusty, Poni, or Dalpe is the answer if Mo never asks the question.

I'm also with you on Staal and Skinner. For whatever reason, it isn't working defensively. Ruutu and Jokinen are solid defensively and can allow Skinner to free wheel a little more. Running Chad and his -21 from last season up to the 1st line doesn't seem to be the answer either. Put Skinner back with the guys that he was with last year and have a known quantity in the 2nd line.

Count me as officially worried. The quotes are similar to ones that led to a 14 game losing streak 2 years ago. It's a drip-drip-drip thing that has to be stopped.

Mo is too complacent, the dumb penalties need to stop, and forwards need to play two-way hockey! I agree with many about the LaRose move and Jussi is a far better alternative.

The lines need a little tweak and it starts with moving Larose and Skinner off the first line. Dalpe needs, deserves and has earned a chance move him and Poni up to the first and the other lines balance out and come into place quite nicely

Poni Staal Dalpe

Ruutu Jokinen Skinner

Stewart Sutter LaRose/Tlusty

Dwyer Brent LaRose/Tlusty

Every line has players who can score, every line has players with some speed and every line has a solid defensive component. Rolling those 4 lines over and over in nice short stints could absolutely exhaust other teams.

The lines need a little tweak and it starts with moving Larose and Skinner off the first line. Dalpe needs, deserves and has earned a chance move him and Poni up to the first and the other lines balance out and come into place quite nicely

Poni Staal Dalpe

Ruutu Jokinen Skinner

Every line has players who can score, every line has players with some speed and every line has a solid defensive component. Rolling those 4 lines over and over in nice short stints could absolutely exhaust other teams.

Sold, you're hired. Definitely worth a try and may achieve what Maurice is looking for.

Poni Staal Dalpe

Ruutu Jokinen Skinner

At least this lets JR's plan for the first line ride. If it fails Mo can rightly say, "look, that's what you gave me".

If Poni and Dalpe deliver then fine (I highly doubt it as there is no real playmaker there). But that's what we need, a playmaking winger. Jussi is that, but we need one for the first and second lines. At least that second line should rock (assuming Ruutu finds his game).

Edit:

Put "Cole" in there on the top line. Take away Poni and Stewart.

Cole-Staal-Dalpe

Ruutu-Jokinen-Skinner

Tlusty-Sutter-LaRose

Did we replace Cole?

Edited by remkin

(I highly doubt it as there is no real playmaker there).

I think Dalpe can be a playmaker...looking at his stats, he's had more assists than goals basically every year going back to 2006, including 23 G and 34 A last year in Charlotte. http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474610 I understand he was at Center but it shows he has good vision and certainly serious playmaking ability. If Dalpe can make some plays on the wing and we can get Poni in front of the net helping to do to the dirty work, that's a REALLY good line.

It sure would be nice to see what Dalpe has to bring to the table. The dude goes from 1st line experiment to 4th line in a matter of days. Now he looks kind of timid like he doesn't want to make a mistake. Is it just me or are the line combos and d pairings the story of the young season already? What is the point of having these supposed young guns if they're just going to ride the pine and not build any confidence?

I don't like the forwards lines. I don't like the defensive pairings. I don't like the schemes. I'm depressed.

Let's look for some positives..

I have not been a fan of Pitkanen's for a couple of years now, but he has actually looked pretty good so far this year (minus the dumb penalties). I love he is more physical, and I love the DEFENSIVE plays he is making.

I think Kaberle has looked pretty good. Some pinches have cost us, but I think our forwards (*clears throat, Ruutu..) will make the right adjustments to compensate for that.

Here's a question - where has Ruutu been? He has been invisible on the ice so far this season.. I think he's making $4.4 mil this year? Better step it up, Ruu. JR and PK aren't going to pay that to an invisible player - trade bait.

I think trade proposals are fun. - Kaberle OR Pitkanen/Ruutu for Stoll/Brown. - We shed an offensive dman (we have too many) AND we shed a player who has not yet produced here this year who also has a larger contract. We gain a first line winger for Staal, and a center who can win faceoffs. Plus, I think Stoll and Brown are under contract for a few more years. Not bad deals either - both under $4 mil.

Would LA bite? Probably not.. It's always a big deal trading away your captain.. Right, Flyers? Sweeten the pot a bit with Tlusty? Boychuk? Bowman?

Edited by jeromeo87

Good points jeromeo. I agree Pitkanen has looked good except for those #$%@%@$% penalties. Hoping his ice time stays down in the low 20's so those go away...if not, then it's not that he's tired, just boneheaded.

Skinner and Staal have been good up front though not so good in their own end. I wonder if Ruu is missing Skinner?

The other side with Kabs is maybe he should lighten up on the pinches until his teammates get to know him better. Goes both ways, back to that whole chemistry thing.

If you're talking about Dustin Brown that is a seriously out there proposal. Dustin Brown is as untouchable as Staal/Skinner/Ward/Sutter. That'd be like trading Brind'amour during the 05-06 season.

If you're talking about Dustin Brown that is a seriously out there proposal. Dustin Brown is as untouchable as Staal/Skinner/Ward/Sutter. That'd be like trading Brind'amour during the 05-06 season.

Are you sure about that? His numbers aren't THAT great. Plus, I know I've rumors about LA possibly moving him out.

Are you sure about that? His numbers aren't THAT great. Plus, I know I've rumors about LA possibly moving him out.

He's always at the top of the league for hitting. An intangibles type of player.

Has anyone heard an update on Dalpe?

added: I found that he is listed day to day. At least we have a little break before we meet Boston.

He's always at the top of the league for hitting. An intangibles type of player.

We have plenty of players on the team with intangibles. What we need is another player or two with tangibles.

According to Chip Alexander @ ice_chip Dalpe isn't on the ice for practice. Faulk is filling in on the 4th line in today's practice.

Michael Smith @ MSmithCanes tweetd, now its Joslin's turn

According to Chip Alexander @ ice_chip Dalpe isn't on the ice for practice. Faulk is filling in on the 4th line in today's practice.

Michael Smith @ MSmithCanes tweetd, now its Joslin's turn

It appears the thinking is this is just for practice and there could be a call-up for the Boston game.

Saw Dalpe after todays practice (he was not skating) and asked him how he was feeling. Said "not bad" but was walking very softly and looked stiff. From what I saw there is no way he will play Tuesday. Hope I'm wrong.