The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Canes Now

With forward Zac Dalpe listed as "week to week" with a lower-body injury, the Canes will call up a forward from the Charlotte Checkers (AHL), coach Paul Maurice said today.

But Who ?

I'm glad to see this quote about Staal (and Skinner) "gunning for offense" in the link posted above this one.

"...At the same time, we can't be digging them out of our net all the time. And that's true of Eric. Just trying to balance the lines out a little bit."

I'm glad to see this quote about Staal (and Skinner) "gunning for offense" in the link posted above this one.

"...At the same time, we can't be digging them out of our net all the time. And that's true of Eric. Just trying to balance the lines out a little bit."

I like Skinner and Staal on separate lines.It spreads out the scoring and they had become a defensive liability skating with each other.

we are 2-2-1, beat the bruins and sabres, full 60 minutes, except for taking too many penalites, right?? Ok, just checking..Only real bad game ws the first one against tampa bay..

we are 2-2-1, beat the bruins and sabres, full 60 minutes, except for taking too many penalites, right?? Ok, just checking..Only real bad game ws the first one against tampa bay..

Your right dinz. I think the line change with Skinner and Staal is more of an adjustment by MO as we move forward. It is nice to see all the lines contribute. Its early in the season and anything can happen. The last two games the team looked like it was coming together. Lets hope we can keep it going.

I hope they are willing to sit Kabs and let Joslin play. Kabs has been more of a negative than a positive. He did very little for the Bruins last year and he isn't doing much for us on the positive side. Hopefully it will be more abour winning than about money or the Kabs family connection to the Canes.

I hope they are willing to sit Kabs and let Joslin play. Kabs has been more of a negative than a positive. He did very little for the Bruins last year and he isn't doing much for us on the positive side. Hopefully it will be more abour winning than about money or the Kabs family connection to the Canes.

That makes no senese. Our PP is like 55 times better with him and Pitkanen on the point. We offered him a contact for 3 years and 3m or something right? Hell will freeze over before we sit him and that would be bad because Joslin is nowhere near as skilled as kaberle....

Just got back from vacation. Great to see the Canes win two while I was away, especially against the caliber of opponent we faced. Those are great signs. Looking forward to actually watching them play this week, instead of reading up on it later.

Of course, if the Canes only win while I'm on vacation, maybe I need to go on vacation again. :-)

That makes no senese. Our PP is like 55 times better with him and Pitkanen on the point. We offered him a contact for 3 years and 3m or something right? Hell will freeze over before we sit him and that would be bad because Joslin is nowhere near as skilled as kaberle....

Yep. Check the DVR and look at that last PP. Kabs didn't get a point, but he kept the puck in the zone and moving swiftly about.

Sutter has been recalled. My guess is that we want to add grit to our 4th line and Dalpe sits out. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that it was the logical choice. Brett Sutter IMO looked reasonable good in this role in training camp. Not sure we will get a lot of scoring from him but he should bring some toughness and energy to the 4th line.

Given that we have won a couple this seems like a reasonable move. Sutter has no points this year, but a gritty 4th line guy. Don't look for the 4th line to get many minutes though.

If we were losing, could have dropped someone to the 4th and given Boychuk or Bowman a shot on a higher line, but that would be too disruptive now.

Personally I like Samson, but Sutter fills the role.

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree,,Yes he may have more experience but his style of play has cost us more than it has given us. Bad pinching at bad times, carries a very short stick which makes it a lot harder for him to hold the blue line or recieve a slightly off pass, along with it makes it so much harded to sweep the puck off the other teams stick when he is on defense. IMO it was a huge mistake in the 1st place to sign him. Joslin may not be as skilled but I think he would bring more physicality & Grit to the Canes than Kabs does or ever will. And as far as the money part Kabs will cost us more on and off the ice than Joslin will!!

Edited by djharley

Yeah, and Sutter fits the 4th line role better than Dalpe does.. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sutter stay as a Cane.. I really wanted to see Dalpe make this HIS year.

Has anyone noticed how good Dwyer has looked this year? Really impressed with him.

Has anyone noticed how good Dwyer has looked this year? Really impressed with him.

Someone tell me what LaRose brings that Dwyer doesn't? Why we need both of these guys is beyond me. Reason would dictate it would have to be nepotism on the organization's part to pay one guy at the league minimum while the other makes 3 times that because he's a fan favorite, whatever that is.

I realize we're only 5 games into the season, so we shouldn't be reading too much into the stats.

But is anyone at all concerned with Staal at -8, Skinner at -6, Pits and TKabs at -5 each and Faulk at -6? I mean, I can see Faulk; a rookie is gonna make mistakes. But these other guys are supposed to be our big guns, and they are obvious liabilities on the ice right now. Yes, Skinner has 6 points, but ... just wow.

I'm not panicking or anything, but those are ugly early +/- numbers.

And I looked at the lines. LaRose in the top 6. Dwyer in the top 9. Yes, we got two gritty wins, and these are "effort" guys. But in addition to effort we need some skill.

Sigh... I'm with rem. Would love a trade for a top 6 guy, especially with Dalpe apparently not being as hot as the organization thought he was going to be. We're extremely thin in our scoring lines.

I realize we're only 5 games into the season, so we shouldn't be reading too much into the stats.

But is anyone at all concerned with Staal at -8, Skinner at -6, Pits and TKabs at -5 each and Faulk at -6? I mean, I can see Faulk; a rookie is gonna make mistakes. But these other guys are supposed to be our big guns, and they are obvious liabilities on the ice right now. Yes, Skinner has 6 points, but ... just wow.

I'm not panicking or anything, but those are ugly early +/- numbers.

And I looked at the lines. LaRose in the top 6. Dwyer in the top 9. Yes, we got two gritty wins, and these are "effort" guys. But in addition to effort we need some skill.

Sigh... I'm with rem. Would love a trade for a top 6 guy, especially with Dalpe apparently not being as hot as the organization thought he was going to be. We're extremely thin in our scoring lines.

Your right we are only 5 games in but the +/- of the top line is concerning. Now that we have changed the lines and separated Staal and Skinner I would hope the goals against the top two lines improve and without sacrificing offense. Except on the PP Kabs and Joni are not skating together and this might also help. I guess it is wait and see on that one.

While looking at the team's plus-minus, did anyone else see that Harrison's goal from the last game was changed and given to Ponikarovsky TODAY? Seems kinda late to be changing that, they usually have that worked out withing the same game or shortly after it's conclusion. Strange.

The organization has barely given Dalpe a chance. Someone needs to have an intervention with JR and Mo' and tell them to lay off the LaRose. They're never going to find out how good Boychuck/Samson/Dalpe are if they're stuck playing on the 4th line behind LaRose and even Dwyer.

Someone tell me what LaRose brings that Dwyer doesn't? Why we need both of these guys is beyond me. Reason would dictate it would have to be nepotism on the organization's part to pay one guy at the league minimum while the other makes 3 times that because he's a fan favorite, whatever that is.

Is there nothing to say for the energy and morale LaRose brings to this team? Am I the only that thinks losing him would not only be a blow to a lot of the fans but also to the locker room?

Is there nothing to say for the energy and morale LaRose brings to this team? Am I the only that thinks losing him would not only be a blow to a lot of the fans but also to the locker room?

Your not alone. I think we should be happy to have a guy like LaRose. I think the issue is does he belong on a top line. I think it is nice to have someone who can jump up and fill in. At the same time I don't think it should be long term. I think LaRose is a perfect 3rd line wing. When you need energy or somebody to chirp in the opponents ear I say LaRose is the guy. That he can jump up a line or two when needed is a plus.