The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I'll take Dwyer, and spend the extra cash towards Rem's first line winger...all day long.

I really thought that when Dwyer was signed, that LaRose wouldn't be back. I think they bring a lot of the same thing on the ice. Of course, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

If you want to pay someone for high energy I'll gladly chug 20 red bulls and put on ice skates for however many mil a year larose gets.

High energy players are dime a dozen but we're paying ours what 1.5 to 2 mil?

Kinda makes you wonder if other players even want to come to Carolina and Play?

With all of our resignings (Once they are here they seem to like it but it just doesn't seem to be a place of their 1st,2nd or 3rd choice) Not sure why but,ya never know!

Edited by djharley

Your not alone. I think we should be happy to have a guy like LaRose. I think the issue is does he belong on a top line. I think it is nice to have someone who can jump up and fill in. At the same time I don't think it should be long term. I think LaRose is a perfect 3rd line wing. When you need energy or somebody to chirp in the opponents ear I say LaRose is the guy. That he can jump up a line or two when needed is a plus.

I agree with all of this. I believe he ran the pre-season/off-ice conditioning camp (that used to be Rod's). He also skated with the prospects earlier in the summer. I think the guy is one of those energy guys both on and off the ice. He's also a chatterbox on the bench from what I can see.

I mean, I love the guy's effort. If everyone on the team worked as hard as LaRose does, we'd be Cup contenders.

BUT...

He does not belong in the top 6. And on a team working on a limited budget, he is overpaid based on his production. Now, if he can pot 20 goals and add 20 assists along with the intangibles he brings, then he's worth it. But he hasn't done that yet. I suspect that Chad needs to deliver a little more in the scoring in this contract to be brought back again.

All very fair points and I suspect that if LaRose wasn't making the money he was and only occasionally was slotted up into the top 6 when needed, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion. I agree it is curious why Maurice seems to think he's the best option to do what he has him doing. To me, Dwyer is the more defensively consistent of the two but maybe Eric Staal has some say in who he wants on his line?

If I remember correctly, when Maurice took over the team from Lavi back in 09, LaRose was benched to start out after being given tons of responsibility with Lavi until he slowly earned his way back in the line up. I wish I could find that article but Maurice said something like, "every team needs a heart and soul player who puts it all out there on the ice every game and every shift and that's why he's earned his way back in."

If I remember correctly, when Maurice took over the team from Lavi back in 09, LaRose was benched to start out

He was scratched for a game or two.

Why haven't the Canes updated the pics on the roster page? All of the players we signed over the summer are still sporting their old sweaters. Wouldn't they have done pictures during training camp? I know this isn't really important, but I was wondering and it didn't merit a thread of it's own.

Why haven't the Canes updated the pics on the roster page? All of the players we signed over the summer are still sporting their old sweaters. Wouldn't they have done pictures during training camp? I know this isn't really important, but I was wondering and it didn't merit a thread of it's own.

All the new head shots were taken but I suspect that Michael Smith has been busy with other stuff and just hasn't gotten around to changing them yet.

Edit: from Michael Smith:

Weights have been updated, per the media guide. Roster photos should be changing soon; NHL just sent clubs headshots for approval.
Edited by TSA

I personally have no problem with resigning LaRose other than the money and Mo's infatuation with him on the first line. The problem is less what LaRose brings as it is what the team really needs vs. what JR went out and got.

On a top caliber team LaRose is still a decent third liner, and when he played there he did well and was a fan favorite.

Dwyer is a 4th liner unless your third line is pure checking.

The problem is context. We have too many third and forth liners and too few first liners. This leads to LaRose on the first line and Dwyer on the third.

Now on balance I really like JR. His patience and insistence on value has generally paid off for us. But this year I think he got it wrong by sticking to that model. I may be wrong though, and Poni and Steward might really come on and play like top liners. I hope.

But JR went out and got two bargain guys in Poni and Stewart. But then also signed both LaRose and Dwyer.

My feeling is with Dalpe in the wings and a ton of guys (Samson, Brett Sutter, Bowman) who can fill 3rd-4th line spots, we needed to go get ONE top winger. So pool the money for LaRose, Poni, Stewart push in a touch more and go get Hemsky, or whoever. But that has never been JR's M.O. (not Mo). But we needed to replace Cole, a dynamic fast legit scoring first line winger. You can't replace an All Star caliber forward with a committee of third and fourth liners.

At this point though, it is probably really hard to make a move. A team is going to have to fall a bit and realize they have a need that we can fill. So for now we play on with what we have and hope someone breaks out. But if it's going to be our new value guys they're going to need to be the ones on the first/second line, not LaRose.

i have trouble believing that larose would even make regular roster for any other nhl team. He would probably be playing for their AHL affiliate

Wow, guys.. Come on.. People are talking as if LaRose is a terrlbe player.. He's not THAT bad... LaRose has made some nice plays this year - offensive and defensive..

Well I said he's a decent third line player.

Chad in 2008-2009 playing mostly third/second line:

19 goals PLUS 6.

Chad last year playing mostly first line:

16 goals MINUS 21.

Hmmm. I'm not an NHL coach, but maybe I don't put Chad on the first line anymore.

The other thing, besides not being able to cover for Staal's decreasing interest in defense, is that Chad is not a playmaker. Since he started putting in some goals back in 08-09, he has averaged fewer assists than goals. Since there are usually two assists per goal, that is the anti-playmaker. Not sure why Mo or Staal want him on that first line so bad. No playmaking, no defense.

That said, I still think LaRose is a good third liner. If his shortened 2009 season is adjusted for he is averaging 17 goals per season. On the third line his plus minus has been good, and especially if he is with Sutter it will be. Getting 17 goals from a third liner is great. Then there's the heart and energy. Beautiful 3rd liner. Keep it that way.

Edited by remkin

Well I said he's a decent third line player.

Chad in 2008-2009 playing mostly third/second line:

19 goals PLUS 6.

Chad last year playing mostly first line:

16 goals MINUS 21.

Hmmm. I'm not an NHL coach, but maybe I don't put Chad on the first line anymore.

The other thing, besides not being able to cover for Staal's decreasing interest in defense, is that Chad is not a playmaker. Since he started putting in some goals back in 08-09, he has averaged fewer assists than goals. Since there are usually two assists per goal, that is the anti-playmaker. Not sure why Mo or Staal want him on that first line so bad. No playmaking, no defense.

That said, I still think LaRose is a good third liner. If his shortened 2009 season is adjusted for he is averaging 17 goals per season. On the third line his plus minus has been good, and especially if he is with Sutter it will be. Getting 17 goals from a third liner is great. Then there's the heart and energy. Beautiful 3rd liner. Keep it that way.

Agreed. You about summed it up perfectly. Just wish a certain coaching staff would figure that out. A Tlusty/Sutter/LaRose line would be an excellent checking line with the potential to put up 50+ goals.

Right now, Dwyer does everything LaRose does on the ice. He's faster and a better skater, he plays defense better than LaRose, and he's stronger along the boards. He's also more disciplined and won't take dumb penalties. Great PK'r as well.

Right now, Dwyer does everything LaRose does on the ice. He's faster and a better skater, he plays defense better than LaRose, and he's stronger along the boards. He's also more disciplined and won't take dumb penalties. Great PK'r as well.

Rosie has seniority and a t-shirt.

Maybe putting him on the first line is a ploy. Make him seem more valuable come trade time.

"Hey we hate to give up one of our fist-liners, but if you're interested we could throw in LaRose."

Nah. It's the pictures.

LaRose definitely suffers in comparison to Dwyer, but I can think of worse ways to overspend on 3rd line talent in order to hit the cap minimum. If I thought the money would actually be spent elsewhere, I might feel differently.

He is good for what he brings to the table. Very good PK'er, unfortunately saddled with a bad shot.

Maybe the first line thing is negative reinforcement to remind Staal he needs to backcheck. Or the pictures.

My Pens fans buddies say they would take Larose in a heartbeat. They wouldn't play him on a top line, but he could be a 3rd/4th liner on most NHL clubs. Look at Craig Adams, they love him in Pittsburgh, and there were folks that doubted he would stick anywhere else.

If we are good at anything, it is getting good 3rd and 4th liners.

I made this argument during the offseason, before Larose was resigned. I love Dwyer's game, always have. I think he is under appreciated x 10. Larose is easy to replace, his game is the same as Aucoin, Bayda, Adams, etc. I don't dislike him at all, in fact I like him a lot, but why did we keep him and discard all those others? Those gritty PK guys are my favorites for some reason.

I wonder if Dalpe has been nursing something for awhile that's prevented him from getting a shot in the top 6, and maybe why he's been burried on the 4th line playing so few minutes. Better to get into a game for a few minutes than sit completely idle game after game. Maybe when he's back to 100% they'll give him a shot with Staal for lack of better options. I really hope they leave Brett Sutter on the 4th line, they can beat you in so many ways.

From Spectors:

TSN.CA: Darren Dreger reports Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster isn’t going to wait for his team to play its way out of its current funk, noting the team has 12 players eligible for free agency next season, but Feaster wants to start making changes now. One name that’s been mentioned is physical winger Rene Bourque, as Dreger claims teams are interested and the Flames aren’t saying he’s off limits. Another top six forward who could be in play is Carolina Hurricanes winger Tuomo Ruutu, who’s struggling a bit adjusting to the new rules on hitting as he doesn’t want to risk a suspension. He’s earning a cap hit of $3.8 million this season, is slated for UFA status next summer, and the cost-conscious Hurricanes probably won’t re-sign him.

Chip (N&O) is reporting the Faulk is heading to Charlotte. Probably a good idea to get him back playing consistent minutes. The Canes defense is coming together nicely (when was the last time we could say that?) so there's no need to have him wasting his time sitting in the press box. He'll be up soon enough if injuries start happening.

From Spectors:

TSN.CA: Darren Dreger reports Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster isn’t going to wait for his team to play its way out of its current funk, noting the team has 12 players eligible for free agency next season, but Feaster wants to start making changes now. One name that’s been mentioned is physical winger Rene Bourque, as Dreger claims teams are interested and the Flames aren’t saying he’s off limits. Another top six forward who could be in play is Carolina Hurricanes winger Tuomo Ruutu, who’s struggling a bit adjusting to the new rules on hitting as he doesn’t want to risk a suspension. He’s earning a cap hit of $3.8 million this season, is slated for UFA status next summer, and the cost-conscious Hurricanes probably won’t re-sign him.

Yeah, I'm not surprised by this. He is making too much money and not producing. He did have an assist and a goal last night, so let's see what he does now. I've said a few times Ruutu would be the perfect candidate to ship out for a top 6 forward.

Yeah, I'm not surprised by this. He is making too much money and not producing. He did have an assist and a goal last night, so let's see what he does now. I've said a few times Ruutu would be the perfect candidate to ship out for a top 6 forward.

The only problem is this. At this point we need a top 6 guy assuming Ruutu is as productive as he's been in the past and on the team. If we move Ruutu, we need 2 more top 6 forwards, and that assumes Poni is a top 6 guy.

Last year Ruutu had 5 more points and a better +/- than Cole.

Edited by remkin

I see what you're saying.. I guess, to more specific, I think this team needs a 2nd line center - one that can win faceoffs. And to be honest, I think Ruutu really benefited from being on Skinner's line last year. I love Ruutu and what he brings, I'm just not sure if he is worth what he is making, especially with capped team like the Hurricanes. I think a top line with Poni Staal and Jokinen would produce, assuming Poni hangs in there. And I guess I'm still holding out hope Dalpe eventually makes it into our top 6 - a second line of Skinner newguy Dalpe.

I think we haven't seen Ruutu produce because he might be nursing that injury from preseason. The guy is tough as nails and is probably trying to play through something intense. Also keep in mind we are only 6 games in. He went through a stretch last season of a ppg. Once he gets healthy he should start to produce more. The two point game last night should provide some confidence.