The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I think there will be a few guys on the boards who will be surprised by the suggestion that Ruutu could be trade bait. But I'm not surprised by it. I think he's a gritty guy, gives this team some physical presence, etc. But I think for what he's making that he needs to be producing 25+ goals and 60+ points. He's basically making money that we didn't want to pay Cole.

Now, all of that being said, we've jerked the guy around a bit. Threw him into a center role that he hadn't played in a long, long time, then had him thinking he was going to be a center this year all through camp only to throw him onto the wing. I've said all along that having him on wing is where he belongs. He's a power forward.

It's obvious that we need a 2nd line center. I still like Juice on the 1st line with Staal and Poni. Having Poni and Ruutu on the same line doesn't make sense to me. They're both more of the physical guys, not playmaking guys. And you can see that 1st line struggling with playmaking last night. In fact, Staal's goal came off a pass from the Juice on the PP. Put Jokinen and Staal on the same line, with either Poni or Ruutu. But then you have no 2nd line center.

I wonder if Cullen is available... :-)

I think there will be a few guys on the boards who will be surprised by the suggestion that Ruutu could be trade bait. But I'm not surprised by it. I think he's a gritty guy, gives this team some physical presence, etc. But I think for what he's making that he needs to be producing 25+ goals and 60+ points. He's basically making money that we didn't want to pay Cole.

Now, all of that being said, we've jerked the guy around a bit. Threw him into a center role that he hadn't played in a long, long time, then had him thinking he was going to be a center this year all through camp only to throw him onto the wing. I've said all along that having him on wing is where he belongs. He's a power forward.

It's obvious that we need a 2nd line center. I still like Juice on the 1st line with Staal and Poni. Having Poni and Ruutu on the same line doesn't make sense to me. They're both more of the physical guys, not playmaking guys. And you can see that 1st line struggling with playmaking last night. In fact, Staal's goal came off a pass from the Juice on the PP. Put Jokinen and Staal on the same line, with either Poni or Ruutu. But then you have no 2nd line center.

I wonder if Cullen is available... :-)

I agree with everything here 100%.

Heck, maybe Sutter can handle being the 2nd line center. He's looking pretty good on faceoffs; he's creating chances.. Maybe we could pick up someone like Stoll for the third line center position.

Of course, our third line is our checking line. And Sutter is SO GOOD defensivly.. I don't know..

So here's another thought on this topic, which I've made before. It's like :deadhorse: already.

MOVE SUTTER UP.

The dude is playing lights out. His FO % is up over 60%. I don't understand why a guy like Tim Brent, who is also playing well, can't get 15 minutes on the 3rd line. If we really want to solve this problem, I think we can do it without making a trade.

Juice - Staal - Poni (gives you a playmaker in Juice, a big body in Poni and a scorer in Staal)

Skinner - Sutter - Ruutu (gives you a playmaker in Skinner, a big body in Ruutu and a legit Ryan Kesler imitator in Sutter)

Tlusty - Brent - LaRose (gives you a solid shutdown line that could score here and there)

Dwyer - Nash - Stewart (4th line)

I realize Dalpe is not in the mix here. Maybe when he comes back he can knock either Tlusty or LaRose off the 3rd line. I think before the season started this lineup would have raised some eyebrows. Too many question marks in the bottom 6, loading all our talent in the top 6. But now that we've seen Brent perform, Stewart has a couple of garbage goals, Tlusty has earned a spot with his work ethic, LaRose and Dwyer are like gnats buzzing around, I really think this could work. Nash was the last forward cut out of camp, so I put him there, but that could easily be The Other Sutter as well, who has played some center.

So here's another thought on this topic, which I've made before. It's like :deadhorse: already.

MOVE SUTTER UP.

The dude is playing lights out. His FO % is up over 60%. I don't understand why a guy like Tim Brent, who is also playing well, can't get 15 minutes on the 3rd line. If we really want to solve this problem, I think we can do it without making a trade.

Juice - Staal - Poni (gives you a playmaker in Juice, a big body in Poni and a scorer in Staal)

Skinner - Sutter - Ruutu (gives you a playmaker in Skinner, a big body in Ruutu and a legit Ryan Kesler imitator in Sutter)

Tlusty - Brent - LaRose (gives you a solid shutdown line that could score here and there)

I realize Dalpe is not in the mix here. Maybe when he comes back he can knock either Tlusty or LaRose off the 3rd line. I think before the season started this lineup would have raised some eyebrows. Too many question marks in the bottom 6, loading all our talent in the top 6. But now that we've seen Brent perform, Stewart has a couple of garbage goals, Tlusty has earned a spot with his work ethic, LaRose and Dwyer are like gnats buzzing around, I really think this could work. Nash was the last forward cut out of camp, so I put him there, but that could easily be The Other Sutter as well, who has played some center.

Brett Sutter is a natural center.. Interesting lines there - I wouldn't mind seeing how they would work. I'm a little worried about the third line. I'm not sure if it would actually be a solid shutdown line. This is definitely worth trying tho. I would love to see what Sutter could do on the 2nd line.

MOVE SUTTER UP.

I have suggested this as well. I really like these lines. I might switch LaRose & Stewart. Send Dalpe back to Charlotte if he is not going to play in the top 9.

Jokinen didn't work at center last year, & neither did LaRose in the top 9.

Edited by rocheccw

How about Moving Staal to the wing and put Brandon Sutter as the 1st line center. Sutter is great on defense and winning faceoffs, Staal played his best hockey when he was a winger for Brindy? Just a thought.

Edited by djharley

How about Moving Staal to the wing and put Brandon Sutter as the 1st line center. Sutter is great on defense and winning faceoffs, Staal played his best hockey when he was a winger for Brindy? Just a thought.

Well, I think we have a severe lack of true centers already. I think if we push Staal to the wing we need to find another true center somewhere.

The Ruutu trade talk is well.. talk.. hes getting heathier, why move the lines, we have played well, and ya get rem all worked up[ breathe in and out rem, on cullen :)..another physical guy in brett sutter, gotta love it...

I don't think Ruutu is going anywhere. At least not yet. I do think other teams do have interest in him. The two top forwards that we would get the most return for and are not untouchable are Ruutu and Jokinen. I guess you never know.

Did anyone else catch this quote by Paul Maurice talking about Faulk in the Canes Now story,

"We just don't want him sitting. He needs to be playing somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back up early next week."

I wonder what thats all about?

I don't think Ruutu is going anywhere. At least not yet. I do think other teams do have interest in him. The two top forwards that we would get the most return for and are not untouchable are Ruutu and Jokinen. I guess you never know.

The most expendable guy in the top-6 is LaRose. :lol: But with Maurice liking the Tlusty-Sutter-Dwyer line I believe we are stuck with him up there in the short term. IMO, the Canes aren't going to get buy the rest of the season with that poor production from the top line.

Well, it may be just talk dinz, but when Daren Dreger reports the Canes are shopping Ruutu, I believe it's credible. He was just on NHL Live and reported it there as well.

Just put NHL Live on, so just missed it, , and obxer, im responding to message through coastals msg, i think jusi is untouchable..

Just put NHL Live on, so just missed it, , and obxer, im responding to message through coastals msg, i think jusi is untouchable..

Dinz, from TSN:

Darren Dreger reports Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster isn’t going to wait for his team to play its way out of its current funk, noting the team has 12 players eligible for free agency next season, but Feaster wants to start making changes now. One name that’s been mentioned is physical winger Rene Bourque, as Dreger claims teams are interested and the Flames aren’t saying he’s off limits. Another top six forward who could be in play is Carolina Hurricanes winger Tuomo Ruutu, who’s struggling a bit adjusting to the new rules on hitting as he doesn’t want to risk a suspension. He’s earning a cap hit of $3.8 million this season, is slated for UFA status next summer, and the cost-conscious Hurricanes probably won’t re-sign him.

Not trying to start any kind of trade rumors here, just pointing out a very credible source is reporting the Canes could entertain offers for Ruutu.

I've said this for over a year now: Play Sutter as the 2nd line Center. It is easier to obtain a 3rd line center if Brent can't deliver.

I'll now make a statement for next year, and repeat it then: Brandon Sutter should be the First Line Center and is the most complete (and valuable) Forward on the team.

If you're watching the same guy I am he's machine. He is the savviest player out there and has almost unmatched speed. Watch him in defensive mode when he just roles his body into position when battling 1v1 for a puck. He almost always comes away with the puck. He made Lucic look like a rookie last night.

I've said this for over a year now: Play Sutter as the 2nd line Center. It is easier to obtain a 3rd line center if Brent can't deliver.

I'll now make a statement for next year, and repeat it then: Brandon Sutter should be the First Line Center and is the most complete (and valuable) Forward on the team.

If you're watching the same guy I am he's machine. He is the savviest player out there and has almost unmatched speed. Watch him in defensive mode when he just roles his body into position when battling 1v1 for a puck. He almost always comes away with the puck. He made Lucic look like a rookie last night.

It sure looks that way Manwolf. I'd have to agree, the guy is a machine in what he can do all over the ice and in every situation. What really blows me away is how much he's improved on faceoffs.

In that situation do you use Ruutu as bait for a 2nd line center?

No, you move Staal to the 2nd line center and give Brent a chance on the 3rd or go out and find a 3rd line center. If Ruutu is indeed being shopped he should be able to get us a 3rd line center similar to a Chris Kelly.

The most expendable guy in the top-6 is LaRose. :lol: But with Maurice liking the Tlusty-Sutter-Dwyer line I believe we are stuck with him up there in the short term. IMO, the Canes aren't going to get buy the rest of the season with that poor production from the top line.

You won't get an argument from me that LaRose is expendable as a top 6. My point was top forwards we could get the most return for that aren't untouchable. I think there are teams that would like an energy guy like LaRose but not at the return we need. I like LaRose on our team but we are at a point on the so called rebuild that we make deals that will help us move ahead this season and in the future. So I really won't be surprised at a deal.

I don't think Jokinen is untouchable but I don't think we will trade him either. As has been pointed out the rumors are about Ruutu. My point was that Jussi and Ruu would probable bring the biggest return. Ruu being in a contract year is probable the more likely of the two. I'm not sure we will let either go just yet but I'm sure JR is exploring and listening.

As for the Sutter discussion. I think Brandon Sutter could probable play goalie well if you asked him to. He seems to be our most versatile player. I wouldn't hesitate to use him at second or even first line center if needed. But why. For the first time in years we have scoring coming from the third and fourth lines. If we can get the top two lines to score with consistency we look like we have a strong team.

The luxury we have right now is we can calculate our moves carefully before making one.

I'd love to see Sutter get a chance to play regularly with top 6 wingers. I'd especially want to see him play with Skinner since they both have an uncanny way of finding, possessing and shooting the puck. Why on earth doesn't this make sense:

Poni-Staal-Jussi

Skinner-Sutter-Ruutu

Tlusty-Brent-LaRose

Dwyer-Dalpe/Sutter/Matsumoto/Nash-Stewart (or Dwyer centers the line)

Chip tweeted no lineup changes for tomorrow's game. Didn't think there would be after three striaght wins, but still.. That top line isn't doing much of anything. I don't think Poni Staal Ruutu was produced a single point. All three of Staal's goals this year have come on the PP, when he is paired with Jokinen and Skinner. I'm not saying we should have a top line of Skinner Staal Jokinen; all I'm saying is the current top line HAS to get something going in this upcoming game, even if it's just chances. If they don't, it's time to make some changes.