The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I'd love to see Sutter get a chance to play regularly with top 6 wingers. I'd especially want to see him play with Skinner since they both have an uncanny way of finding, possessing and shooting the puck. Why on earth doesn't this make sense:

Poni-Staal-Jussi

Skinner-Sutter-Ruutu

Tlusty-Brent-LaRose

Dwyer-Dalpe/Sutter/Matsumoto/Nash-Stewart (or Dwyer centers the line)

I love your top 6. I really want to see that come to fruition. I think the bottom 6 could use some work. First, if Dalpe is only going to be on the 4th line, just send him back to Charlotte. Let him get some real playing time; besides, he isn't a 4th liner. Sutter#2 is actually a natural center and I think he would work out fine on the 4th line. I also think we could interchange Tlusty and Dwyer. I love Dwyer's speed and tenacity. And Stewart has been great on the 4th line.

Poni-Staal-Jussi

Skinner-Sutter-Ruutu

Tlusty/Dwyer-Brent-LaRose

Dwyer/Tlusty-Sutter#2-Stewart

Still don't get all this LaRose love. Dwyer has proven to be the better player on the third line. For that matter, just trade LaRose in a package for a second line center. We won't miss him. Unless your talking about the jibber jabber on the bench and running a few practices. It's so obvious, well, its obvious.

I'd love to see Sutter get a chance to play regularly with top 6 wingers. I'd especially want to see him play with Skinner since they both have an uncanny way of finding, possessing and shooting the puck. Why on earth doesn't this make sense:

Poni-Staal-Jussi

Skinner-Sutter-Ruutu

Tlusty-Brent-LaRose

Dwyer-Dalpe/Sutter/Matsumoto/Nash-Stewart (or Dwyer centers the line)

Those are my lines too. At least the top 6 are the same. Mo needs to put Jussi with Staal. Staal needs a playmaker out there alongside him (ala Whitney).

Still don't get all this LaRose love. Dwyer has proven to be the better player on the third line. For that matter, just trade LaRose in a package for a second line center. We won't miss him. Unless your talking about the jibber jabber on the bench and running a few practices. It's so obvious, well, its obvious.

I guess I don't get the LaRose hate. Yes, the guy is making $1.5M (or so). Yes, he's playing a line too high because Mo is a moron.

BUT... Samsonov was making twice what LaRose makes for about the same production, without the intangibles.

I really wish they would just put LaRose on the 3rd line and let him do his thing. Is he the most gifted guy out there? No. Is he the guy who is trying his hardest? Probably. If he was trying his hardest and doing nothing, then I'd agree he should be shipped out. But he's good for 15-20 goals per year.

For that matter, just trade LaRose in a package for a second line center. We won't miss him. Unless your talking about the jibber jabber on the bench and running a few practices. It's so obvious, well, its obvious.

I don't think he is trade-able at that salary.

Okay, somebody explain this to me. Why do you automatically slot LaRose back on the third line over Tlusty or Dwyer, who are proving to be more valuable than LaRose there? Maurice basically said it himself. That, and the fourth line that was on the ice on Tuesday is just what we need to make this team harder to play against. It is fathomable that other players are bringing more to the team, making Chad either a fourth liner or a depth guy, regardless of his salary, which I admit isn't that big of a hit. I guess that's all I have to say about that. :) Except, yes, Mo is a moron.

I like to see some scoring from the 3rd line. For me I'd put LaRose there because he has put up 20 goals or near that pretty consistently and Dwyer has shown just about no aptitude for putting the puck in the net. I believe that Tlusty will, thought he has yet to prove it also.

That said if JR could move LaRose in a move for...well you know what I want...I'd be fine with Tlusty and Dwyer.

I like to see some scoring from the 3rd line. For me I'd put LaRose there because he has put up 20 goals or near that pretty consistently and Dwyer has shown just about no aptitude for putting the puck in the net. I believe that Tlusty will, thought he has yet to prove it also.

That said if JR could move LaRose in a move for...well you know what I want...I'd be fine with Tlusty and Dwyer.

Uh, no, in six years with the Canes he's averaged 11 goals and 24 points a season. He scored 16 last year, and along with it came that ugly -21, which dilutes that goal total just a litte. Dwyer had 18 points last year playing largely on the fourth line. I'd bet money he can put up 25 playing with Sutter, which by all accounts, is right there at what you get with LaRose, on average. Plus, he's a better all around hockey player.

I also don't think LaRose is fast enough to play with Sutter and Tlusty, Dwyer is. Love Chad and his work ethic, but he's an albatross out there, he just doesn't plug in anywhere in the top-9, unless we haven't learned anything from last year.

Okay, somebody explain this to me. Why do you automatically slot LaRose back on the third line over Tlusty or Dwyer, who are proving to be more valuable than LaRose there? Maurice basically said it himself. That, and the fourth line that was on the ice on Tuesday is just what we need to make this team harder to play against. It is fathomable that other players are bringing more to the team, making Chad either a fourth liner or a depth guy, regardless of his salary, which I admit isn't that big of a hit. I guess that's all I have to say about that. :) Except, yes, Mo is a moron.

I have spent a good half hour trying to come up with a reason. I can't. At this point in time I wouldn't change the third or fourth line. Sutter's line is becoming the go to line when you need to make something happen. The Brent line is as tough as any 4th line in the league right now. Nope, I wouldn't touch them.

Here is what I like about LaRose. Late against Boston when we had already won the game LaRose and Ruu came streaking in. LaRose could have shot. He didn't. He made the proper play sending a pass to a wide open Ruutu. But at that point in the game he could of shot. After the play Ruu didn't turn for a group celebration but skated right to Rosie. I'm sure he said something like great pass or thanks I needed that. LaRose not only made the right decision but hopefully helped Ruu get going. That's a character guy that all teams need.

The thing is we all think we are a move or two away from a solid team. There just isn't enough ice for everyone. For all I know Ruu, LaRose or somebody else will go to get what we need. If it is LaRose I will wish him well but until then I appreciate what he brings to this team.

If you watched the Game against Boston with any hockey sense about you. You would not be questioning lines,

but rather praising the heart of this team. Last year this team starved for a Leader, identity, heart, and really

any chemistry. Players would be on one game and disappear for several games. Something is different the last 4 games, this group is playing as a TEAM, and LaRose is a central part of that. Im not always a Mo fan, but last

few games has been well coached. (Obxer comments about LaRose is dead on)

If you watched the Game against Boston with any hockey sense about you. You would not be questioning lines,

but rather praising the heart of this team. Last year this team starved for a Leader, identity, heart, and really

any chemistry. Players would be on one game and disappear for several games. Something is different the last 4 games, this group is playing as a TEAM, and LaRose is a central part of that. Im not always a Mo fan, but last

Agreed, I'm willing to wait and see where things head before I start questioning any coaching/player decisions right now. I also like what I see and something is very different with this group so far this year. There are plenty of teams out there still searching for a spark of anything and this team has found something in the first 6 games. No idea if whatever they found will continue so why not sit back and enjoy the ride?

Some folks seem so set on a change they may be missing whats happening right now.

Very good point. JR is no fool. There IS a reason why he paid LaRose what he did to keep him here. He's a critical part in the makeup of this team.

Agreed, I'm willing to wait and see where things head before I start questioning any coaching/player decisions right now. I also like what I see and something is very different with this group so far this year. There are plenty of teams out there still searching for a spark of anything and this team has found something in the first 6 games. No idea if whatever they found will continue so why not sit back and enjoy the ride?

Some folks seem so set on a change they may be missing whats happening right now.

Wow, I expected the backlash for questioning whether LaRose might not be the best fit on the third line if he was moved off of the top two lines, given what's happening right now. Even a trade package involving him for someone who's a proven top-6 player. But I never thought you would suggest someone would be blind to wins just to prove a point. Wow.

But I never thought you would suggest someone would be blind to wins just to prove a point. Wow.

Those are your words, not mine. I'm not suggesting anything other than I like what I see, and rather than focus on all the questionable coaching/player decisions we've seen in the past, I'm enjoying watching the positive outcomes and I'm taking a wait and see approach since things are coming together right now. How this translates to me suggesting that you personally are blind to wins to prove your point leaves me scratching my head.

Those are your words, not mine. I'm not suggesting anything other than I like what I see, and rather than focus on all the questionable coaching/player decisions we've seen in the past, I'm enjoying watching the positive outcomes and I'm taking a wait and see approach since things are coming together right now. How this translates to me suggesting that you personally are blind to wins to prove your point leaves me scratching my head.

Keep scratching, you could have made your point minus the strikethrough above.

The first Boston game: Even strength goals by Pitkanen, Stewart, and Tlusty.

Buffalo game: Even strength goals by Poni and Sutter. Shorty by Brent and PPG by Skinner.

Second Boston game: Even strength goals by Stewart and Pitkanen. PPG's by Staal and Ruutu.

Yes, I will complain about the lines. That equals exactly one even strength goal by the top two lines in three wins. The top two lines aren't clicking and the Canes have won in spite of that.

I do praise the heart of this team, especially after the second Boston game.

Edited by super_dave_1

The first Boston game: Even strength goals by Pitkanen, Stewart, and Tlusty.

Buffalo game: Even strength goals by Poni and Sutter. Shorty by Brent and PPG by Skinner.

Second Boston game: Even strength goals by Stewart and Pitkanen. PPG's by Staal and Ruutu.

Yes, I will complain about the lines. That equals exactly one goal by the top two lines in three wins. The top two lines aren't clicking and the Canes have won in spite of that.

I do praise the heart of this team, especially after the second Boston game.

Zing.. Great point. We NEED another top 6 foward. I do NOT believe LaRose is a top 6 forward; however, I do believe LaRose is a vital piece to this team. He has energy, integrity, and boosts morale. I guarantee you, if LaRose is moved this team will suffer. LaRose is just an IT factor I blieve (JR too, apparently) this team needs.

Zing.. Great point. We NEED another top 6 foward. I do NOT believe LaRose is a top 6 forward; however, I do believe LaRose is a vital piece to this team. He has energy, integrity, and boosts morale. I guarantee you, if LaRose is moved this team will suffer. LaRose is just an IT factor I blieve (JR too, apparently) this team needs.

Yet coastal has a good point. If the 3rd and 4th lines are clicking and if the top 2 lines aren't. If you go out and get a top 6 forward you might not want to mess up the chemistry on the 3rd and 4th line. Where does LaRose fit then. I agree with the LaRose X factor but as I said before there isn't enough ice for everyone.

i would be inclined to wait and see how we do over the next half dozen games but JR might not be. I just don't know.

Keep scratching, you could have made your point minus the strikethrough above.

I apologize if you thought that specific comment was directed toward you and what you posted. It wasn't meant to be a slight towards anyone but more of an observation and was really in response to what Pamlico wrote.

Maybe I'm way off base but I think its pretty easy to overlook some of the little positive things happening on the ice when the focus is on trying to solve some of the ongoing issues. Sometimes these issues start to resolve themselves when other pieces fall into place. I see a lot of these positives starting to show up in each game in addition to lessons learned which imo, all points to the fact that this team is coming together and finding its identity. I can't really guess who the credit should go to but I suspect its a combination of the players and coaches all getting on the same page.

Six games into the season and playing some pretty darn good hockey, taking a sit back and wait attitude before deciding what we have needs fixing make perfect sense to me. Especially when that fix could end up causing new issues elsewhere.

I apologize if you thought that specific comment was directed toward you and what you posted. It wasn't meant to be a slight towards anyone but more of an observation and was really in response to what Pamlico wrote.

Maybe I'm way off base but I think its pretty easy to overlook some of the little positive things happening on the ice when the focus is on trying to solve some of the ongoing issues. Sometimes these issues start to resolve themselves when other pieces fall into place. I see a lot of these positives starting to show up in each game in addition to lessons learned which imo, all points to the fact that this team is coming together and finding its identity. I can't really guess who the credit should go to but I suspect its a combination of the players and coaches all getting on the same page.

Six games into the season and playing some pretty darn good hockey, taking a sit back and wait attitude before deciding what we have needs fixing make perfect sense to me. Especially when that fix could end up causing new issues elsewhere.

Fair enough, I guess I just took it the wrong way in the flow of the discussion. I have experience with that. ;)

A lot of what I was saying about Rosey was the result of frustration I guess. From the standpoint it's so obvious we need one more piece to the puzzle, and LaRose just isn't it. Plugging him into the top-6 again this year after the guy ended up a whopping -21 up there last year just seems moronic to me. But, I could be wrong.

But like you are saying, we are winning, and there's plenty to be pleased about. I do think this team is finding itself, and they are playing for each other.

It all makes for good discussion. :)

What piece is missing has been well documented for years here and likely on every other Canes site across the internet. Most agree that LaRose isn't a top 6 player and when things aren't going well, its easy to point to him and show just how out of sorts he is playing in the top 6. But.... in the last couple of games, LaRose has stepped up and done a lot of the little things that helped contribute to the recent success. Eventually he'll be exposed again but for now, or until other roster decisions sort themselves out, its working. Having him play up has not only allowed the 3rd and 4th lines to gel but at times he's been able to make a difference.

As long as its working, I'd let it run its course. When they start losing games or he becomes a liability, it'll be revisited without hesitation.

I get the fact that we're winning, but I want to warn everyone that there's complacency in that. There ARE differences between winning a game and taking advantage of the other team's mistakes. One could argue that we jumped on Boston's stupidity in the last game, and that our special teams won the game for us. That and our discipline. And Cam Ward, especially in the first 5 minutes of the game.

If EVERYTHING was clicking, then I'd be happy to shut-up and sit back and watch. As much as this team is earning some gritty wins, I think you HAVE TO dissect what went right and what went wrong, regardless of the outcome, to continue to improve.

And our top two lines are not clicking right now. I love the fact that our 3rd and 4th lines are doing so well. But we need to get our scorers unstuck in even strength situations. I think it's obvious that Juice and Staal belong on the same lines, and I agree that while Sutter probably could move up, moving him up makes problems on the 3rd line that I wouldn't want to mess with right now. The blatant lack of a 2nd line center will bite us.

But you're winning so you stay the course. But if we expect to win every game because the other team is going to implode, then we have problems. In a disciplined game, we need even strength goals. It's obvious that we came into this season expecting Dalpe to help that top 6 and he's both not shown it yet and hurt, which necessitated moving LaRose up. I hate when we have guys out of position (ala Ruutu last year). I think the wins against Buffalo (two shorties meaning a breakdown on discipline from the Sabres) and Boston (obvious loss of composure by the B's) are camouflaging real issues that we've been discussing here.