The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I would have to say though, how many choices do we have to fill the spot that opened when Dalpe got hurt, or wasn't good enough? Sigh. I'd say there's a slim chance anybody gets called from Charlotte. Trade, who the heck knows? From that standpoint, you can't say a whole lot that's negative with what LaRose has done.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Moving Ruu back to the top line is crazy unless we want to see if the second line looks as good without him as with him. At the end of the Peg game when Skinner-Jussie-Ruu where together it looked to me like that line came alive. Hmmm?

I agree LaRose is out of place but unless we make a move I don't see a lot of improvement.

Something has to be up.

Faulk has been recalled from Charlotte... could this be a sign of a potential trade in the works? Otherwise, why? Do you guys remember seeing a defensemen get injured in the road trip?

Seems to be some talk saying Cole belongs back in Carolina. NHL on the Fly was just discussing it. Perfect place for a trade discussion thread. Seems off topic to put it here.

The Habs might want to shake things up after a tough start. Don't see them parting with the new guy to send a message though.

Brett Sutter has to clear waivers, if his time comes to go to Charlotte. That could get interesting.

I would have assumed that Brett was an emergency call-up, so as long as he is returned when Dalpe is ready, he wouldn't have to go through waivers. Of course, if they opt to keep him up instead of Dalpe, then waivers would come into play if they send him down later.

Seems to be some talk saying Cole belongs back in Carolina. NHL on the Fly was just discussing it. Perfect place for a trade discussion thread. Seems off topic to put it here.

What I heard was that Rutherford mentioned he was looking to possibly make a defense for forward trade, since he has defensivemen not playing that he would like to be getting ice time (Joslin and Faulk). Someone asked him if he was considering a Kaberle for Cole trade, and his response was along the lines of not having ruled it out.

In some ways, it would make sense. I have to believe in the short term it would make the team better. Certainly it would appear that there are defensivemen more ready to fill in for Kaberle than there are forwards able to fill in for Cole. With Faulk and Murphy looking to be NHL ready sooner than anticipated, having Kaberle, Pitkanen and McBain long term doesn't make sense. And for a team who have been opting for younger when possible, Kaberle is the oldest of the three... That said, I am not so sure about trading a UFA that early in a new multi-year contract. And then there is what he may be bringing to the power play...

Long term, it actually makes more sense that it might appear, if Kaberle will not be needed, since the contracts are not that dissimilar. (And both will be the same age when they end.) Since Montreal has already paid 3m of Cole's contract up front (signing bonus), his contract is more palatable than what was originally signed. Still, I had figured it wasn't a move that was likely until after Montreal pays out the next 2m signing bonus next season.

Right now, the comparisons are:

Kaberle: 4.00 - 4.25 - 4.50

Cole: 3.00 (remaining) - 4.00 (2.00 as a signing bonus) - 4.00 - 4.00

Cap is slightly lower for Kaberle, which may actually work to the benefit of both teams.

Not sure I see it as likely to happen, but if Montreal wants to move Cole, there probably aren't many options. And getting Cole back - with Montreal playing a good chunk of his salary - doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

I also was not advocating bringing Cole back when I posted (can't remember if it was in this thread or not) Staal missed the speed and play making of a forward like Cole. I suppose it could happen. I think JR was counting on Cole coming back. Still Cole has a no movement clause if I remember the deal right. This would surprise me if it happened.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't think Cole coming back for round #3 is the answer here. If changes are made I would love to see some fresh blood around here and that goes for both players and coaches.

While I can understand why folks may want Cole back, that contract of his will end up being an albatross in a year or two. Then what? Right now LaRose and Mo are the root of all evil and the reason this team can't stay above .500(not really, just making a point here ;) ). Next year, even if there's a coaching change and LaRose gets moved out of the top 6, Cole and his contract will take on a life of its own and become the new root of all evil.

In reading all the complaints and concerns about this team posted in the last few days, the one thing everyone seems to be in agreement with is that they're tired of the band-aid approach to fixing roster shortcomings. To me, bringing Cole back would be like covering up a known deficiency with another band-aid and would do nothing to solidify this team for the long term. Cole made his choice (and I don't blame him one bit) and now has to live with it. JR has the opportunity, the pieces and the cap space to make a change for the better of this team.

Invisiblecane, as usual you make perfect sense and present a valid argument backed with facts but I don't think I can go with you on this one. Whether it makes sense or not from a financial viewpoint doesn't matter to me, I don't like the message it sends about contract negotiations in Carolina and I doubt JR does either. That said, you never know what kind of poker game Jr is playing and he usually finds a way to win his poker games in the end. Anything is possible.

I'd also say no to bringing back Cole. It was pretty obvious when he left that he had a concern about the way this organization puts the team together, about the whole "working under a budget" mentality. I'm not sure we'd get the same Cole who played the last half of last season like an All-Star.

BUT ... we need to do something to help that top line. Poni, Ruutu, LaRose are not the answers alongside Staal.

Very frustrating.

If it was only 2 years for Cole, then it wouldn't be so bad. That contract has 2 years of pain on it at the end unless things go great. I'm not interested.

I don't see the reason for bringing Faulk back unless JR is trying to cook up some kind of trade with a D-man going the other way. Joslin can't be so lonely in the press box that Jimmy is getting him a friend.

Something I learned yesterday...Montreal has already paid Cole 3M for this year.

Which would make them look even more foolish for giving up on him so soon after claiming him as their "big free agent conquest" of the off season. To me they already look foolish for bringing Cole in to be coached by Jaques Martin, the guy who was the most vocal calling him out for diving and playing the game all wrong back when he was with the Panthers. But Erik knew this before he signed that contract and the Habs would have done their research before awarding such a hefty contract....you would think.

According to what I'm reading up in Montreal, the concern is more about the possible rift between Cole and Martin, not so much about Cole's individual play. If the Habs stay on the same losing track they're on, Martin won't be there long. And please don't anyone call for JR to hire him here ohmy.gif.

Edited by TSA

I will tell you that the idea of having the Cole of the last 3/4 of last year is pretty tempting right at this moment. At this moment he is exactly what we need. What a shot in the arm!

But does he have a no trade?

If JR could get Cole for 1-2 years then trade him......if he has a no trade, no way. Since Cole's injury he has really had one good year. We've carried an awful lot of not so great Cole recently. I agree that the last year or two of that contract could be unpleasant.

If he does not have a no-trade....pick him up, use a year or two...trade.

Of course there may be better options for $4mill/year. Find a way to lose LaRose in the process and you have $5 mill/year. Should be able to find a first line winger (or center laugh.gif) for that.

So, I guess it depends on what else is out there and the no trade thing, but a top notch Cole is exactly what we need on the ice right now.

Edited by remkin

Here's Staal's quote on playing with Ruutu. "Erik is more straight-line speed down the wing. He opened the ice up that way. With Ruuts it's more chip and chase, and be physical and be strong. That's when he's more effective."

So here's the question...is there a team with a guy who has this kind of speed and could use an offensive minded D-Man (Kaberle or McBain and a prospect or 2?).

Not sure who's out there and available (Milan Lucic is also that type of player) but you would think if that player doesn't exist on on the roster right now, Staal may need to adjust his game until it does exist.

Wait a moment! Why would Montreal want Kabs? They are so offensively challenged right now. Kabs won't help. Even though Erik is not starting as they hoped (but not atypical for him either), I doubt they are ready to punt just yet -- for Kabs????

We've bee talking about the trailing weakening lower line effect of moving a guy like Sutter up (over in the Staal thread). But if we picked up a guy like Cole, or insert name here first liner, it has the exact opposite positive effect on the lines as guys move down and their relative value up.

Jussi-Staal-Coie

Skinner-Ruutu-Poni

Tlusty-Sutter-Stewart

LaRose-Brent-Dwyer

Those top two lines should both score goals.

You can mix and match, but it always comes out exponentially better than it is now.

While taking Kabs off the back, loses some, but seems less hurtful.

I will add that looking over those lines one thing becomes apparent. All those third and forth liners crowd out any chance to take another look at our young forwards in the system.

But does he have a no trade?

Montreal Gazette

During the course of the negotiations, the Canadiens increased the length of their offer from three to four years and surprised Cole with a no-trade clause.

Chip is reporting that Boychuk has been called up. This throws another iron into the fire.

Chip is reporting that Boychuk has been called up. This throws another iron into the fire.

This is VERY interesting. Especially to me since I was thinking about this not 2 minutes ago. Actually pulled up the Checkers website to check on Zac's stats. Check out the last line of my last post. Dang. Gives me chills.

I can't imagine that they are bringing him up to put him on the 4th line, and I can't imagine them breaking up the 3rd line....so.....

This could preface a trade where one or more of our forwards are involved.

If nothing else, I have to think he is getting a look on the top two lines. Hopefully it is not due to an less that fully disclosed injury to someone else.

Edited by remkin

I had a feeling Cole going to Montreal would turn into a hot mess. Cole needs Staal just as much as Staal needs Cole. Honestly, I would have loved to see what the Stillman Staal Cole line could have done this year. It would have been a lot better than what we are seeing now.

We have no first line. Management is aware of this, right? Right...? Hello?..

Stewart is out with a day-to-day injury. So I would think calling up Boychuk would make it seem less likely a trade is in the works, unless multiple forwards are in play.

I am the eternal optimist on this trade thing.

But that does cool the jets a little. Still, Faulk up, Boychuk up. Makes you wonder.

If it is just to replace Stewart, then Boychuk will likely see 4th line duty. I know Boychuk has been a disappointment so far, but I'd still like to see him in the top 6 if he is going to be up here.